RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Need to make a thermostat for the 120v part of a Dometic fridge

Has anyone made a thermostat for the 100v part of a Dometic fridge of have some idea what parts to use or an existing plan?

I have a Dometic fridge that will not work on AV with the existing Dometic controls. All parts have been replaced including all three boards. Can't be explained by tech, 3 discussion boards, Dometic folks. Please don't try.

It works great with the 120v leads connected to the heater and the gas off so I know that is fine. The problem is that It will freeze the fridge contents if run without a thermostat. I need to install a simple thermocouple with a temp control to feed a relay for the 120v. I assume that I will have to drill a hole and put the control and thermocouple inside. It would be even better if there was an electronic thermostat I could use to feed the relay. It would not interact with the DOmetic Electronics at all and switching would be manual.

If anyone could make a suggestion for off the shelf parts or a circuit ready made that would be more accurate it would be wonderful.

33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #2

Any good appliance parts house will have generic/universal line voltage thermostats with remote sensors. They are used all the time in cooler cases in grocery stores. Just be sure to get one that covers the temp range you need.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #3

Have you tried discussing this issue with Dinosaur Electronics? I installed one of their boards in my dometic fridge because it over cools in the winter months and doesn’t always cool enough during the hottest periods of summer. It has a screw pot on the board you can adjust the temp from. Been in there two years now works good.

https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/index.htm
Old 12-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Any good appliance parts house will have generic/universal line voltage thermostats with remote sensors. They are used all the time in cooler cases in grocery stores. Just be sure to get one that covers the temp range you need.
Good suggestion. I didn't realize they were that common. With something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/True-988284...563609&sr=8-15

there is a long tube with the bulb on the end. Will it measure the temperature on the end bulb only or will heat effect the entire length somewhat?
Old 12-05-2019, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Good suggestion. I didn't realize they were that common. With something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/True-988284...563609&sr=8-15

there is a long tube with the bulb on the end. Will it measure the temperature on the end bulb only or will heat effect the entire length somewhat?
That's similar to what I used to fix mine years ago. You just have to make sure that the temp range is what you want (they make them for fridge and for freezers.) Also, ensure that the voltage is correct (they make both 12vdc and 120vac models. They are not interchangeable.)

The temp should be read by the bulb on the end.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
Have you tried discussing this issue with Dinosaur Electronics? I installed one of their boards in my dometic fridge because it over cools in the winter months and doesn’t always cool enough during the hottest periods of summer. It has a screw pot on the board you can adjust the temp from. Been in there two years now works good.

https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/index.htm

Dometic says no assistance to regular people. Still waiting for a reply from Dinosaur.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Google cold control

rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge