Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #1

Need to replace propane regulator and extenda-stay

I need a bit of help identifying what I should buy, I think I need to replace my extend-a-stay as the top connection leaks when the cap is removed (moderate bubbling with soapy water) also I am experience problems with my absorption refrigerator when running on gas if t the furnace and hot water heater are also running, which I assume is a low flow problem caused by the regulator (the refrigerator was replaced in 2014 by a previous owner).

The motorhome is a 2002 Safari Trek, and I assume the regulator is original so even if it is not the root cause of the refrigerator issue, I think it probably should be changed due to the age of the rubber parts.

I am attaching a photo of the current setup, is this the best way to do things, can you help me identify the right fittings, which should be replaced, and which (elbow, etc) can be reused. Also what BTU/HR rating do I need, I have a Suburban gas furnace, propane stovetop and 6 gallon propane water heater?

I am fairly comfortable dealing with plumbing, using teflon tape, I just get nervous when it is around flammable gas

thanks Ike

p.s. another reason to replace the extend-a-stay is that I don't have the hoses for it, and from what I have found the external tank hose is only sold in the kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	propane-tank-valves.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	148701  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Your problem could just be the pressure regulator needs adjustment. A U-tube manometer is used to adjust the pressure to 11"W.C., which is about .4 PSI, a very slight pressure. If the regulator needs replacing, it shouldn't be sealed with white Teflon tape. White Teflon is for water pipes, Yellow PTFE Tape is used for gas and oil lines. It's thicker and denser and seals joints better for such applications.

I think unless you have the proper tools and skills, this is a good job for a professional. It's nothing to learn on, a mistake could be catastrophic!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #3

Extend a stay hoses are readily available. Amazon has them.

If you don't ever need it, just remove it altogether. The nut on the POL fitting that screws into the right side of the extendastay is a LEFT HAND thread (indicated by the cut marks on the nut) so unscrews clockwise, and similarly the fitting on the left end of the EaS into the valve body also unscrews clockwise. Then just move everything to the left and screw the POL fitting on the regulator into the valve - anticlockwise of course.

If you want to replace the regulator then do it at the same time.
Do NOT use thread tape on the POL fittings as they seal either brass to brass or using an O-ring

BTW If you are ever out in the boondocks and your fixed tank is empty, and you have a swap BBQ bottle, you can unscrew that POL fitting out of the valve body on the fixed tank (after turning off the valve of course) and screw it into your swap bottle propped up off the ground so it is close to the fixed tank. Might save you breaking camp and finding a refiller
Old 01-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are getting bubgling/leakage from the top fitting on the brass part, then it nees replacement.. The regulator is to the right, You may need adjustment or replacement.. A Propane wholesale store may be able to service or assist. Or some RV dealers.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies so far, let me add a couple of specific questions here:

Are softnose (rubber o-ring) or standard brass tip POL connectors preferred for this sort of installation, they are available on both 2 stage regulators and extend-a-stay kits depending on the brand. Thinking about it I could see arguments both ways.

Any advice on specific brands being better or worse than others, or are they all equally bad? I am thinking about Sturgi-Stay for the extend-a-stay as they have hex caps instead of knurled like the Camco model (both have soft nose POL), Marshall Gas appears to also use hex caps, but with a solid brass nose POL on both the extend-a-stay and the supplied hose..
Old 01-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
...I am fairly comfortable dealing with plumbing, using teflon tape, I just get nervous when it is around flammable gas...
FYI - the correct Teflon tape to use with gas connections is yellow. It is thicker than the white tape used for plumbing. Teflon tape is not necessary if the connection has an O-ring in it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:41 AM   #7

Well I went ahead and placed an order today, I opted for the Sturgi Stay Deluxe QD kit as it has quick disconnect connections along with positive cut-off valves at the Tee. Is also has soft tip POL connectors on both the hose and the inlet connector. For a regulator I opted for a made in the US Marshall Excelsior MEGR-295 with excess flow limiting hardnose POL fitting bought from Amazon, it was actually cheaper than the imports by a couple of dollars.

I am a little concerned about the soft tip at the tank valve, but I could not find a quick disconnect model without it.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #8

I replaced mine about eight years ago because it was leaking. Nothing more dangerous then a propane leak. I just took the regulator to a business that sells propane and they had the regulators there. No big deal in changing it out, just turn the main valve off and start taking it off.

RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, propane, replace