Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #1

Need to send Xantrex inverter in for repairs, can I just remove it?

If i remove it will the coach work normally minus having an inverter there to use TV and plugs with generator off?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I trust you understand the danger that is present if you do not take precautions in this removal. There are vac line(s) that come into and vac line(s) that leave out the inverter to the loads; TV, microwave, general use receptacles. These loads are usually passed through the inverter when the coach is plugged into shore power or when the generator is in use. You will need to first remove the 120 vac power into the inverter. Second remove the 12 vdc power. Remove the conductors from the inverter and if you want the loads that are power by the inverter to work, tie these lines together in a junction box according to the NFPA national electrical codes. I would suggest that you have a qualified person at least assist you in removing and bypassing the circuitry of the inverter.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
If i remove it will the coach work normally minus having an inverter there to use TV and plugs with generator off?
Here's the procedure I used to replace my Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/freed...ss-115193.html

I made the decision to permanently remove the Freedom 458, as I never use "Inverted Power" in my Discovery. I purchased the box and breakers at Home Depot.
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
I trust you understand the danger that is present if you do not take precautions in this removal. There are vac line(s) that come into and vac line(s) that leave out the inverter to the loads; TV, microwave, general use receptacles. These loads are usually passed through the inverter when the coach is plugged into shore power or when the generator is in use. You will need to first remove the 120 vac power into the inverter. Second remove the 12 vdc power. Remove the conductors from the inverter and if you want the loads that are power by the inverter to work, tie these lines together in a junction box according to the NFPA national electrical codes. I would suggest that you have a qualified person at least assist you in removing and bypassing the circuitry of the inverter.
Thank you for that information. I didn't mean remove it as in eliminate it from the coach completely. I just meant could I remove it from the coach and wire nut the wires to prevent them from touching anything and still turn on generator will I not damage anything and will the batteries still charge?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #5

If your Xantrex is like mine, it is more than an inverter....it is inverter/converter/charger!
Very few 120VAC powered items will work if/while the inverter is removed, (and the batteries will not charge).
I would advise NOT running the generator or hooking to shore power while the inverter is out, to much is dependant on an OPERATING inverter/converter/charger!
You can connect a battery charger, powered by shore power, to keep the batteries up.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

inverter out for repairs

My husband and I had the same problem last july in cleveland at a koa, our inverter needed to be removed and brought to the warranty place to be repaired. my rv tech took it out and called monaco for us and they walked him through rewiring around where the fuses and solenoid are so that we would have full power to the coach while it was gone. He took it an hour and a half away and waited til it was fixed and didn't get back till almost 9pm and insisted on installing it and making sure it was working well, which it was. If you insist on doing this yourself, you might as well call your manufacturer and get advice from them, this was far too technical for us to handle or even want to. Good luck, plumbling and electrical problems are a bummer, we live in our rig so we have to get everything fixed promptly.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a Xantres Prosine I had to send back for warranty exchange.

I removed the 12 volt leads at the battery.

I used a felt tip pen to label the 120 volt leads IN and OUT and removed them (With power off to the RV, and the inverter already disconnected from the batteries) and joined them properly in an insulated Junction box I got for the job.

I then physically removed the inverter and disconnected the 12 volt leads from it (Oh yes, I also disconnected the display lead)

Shipped it back, everythign worked just like it had BEFORE I bought the inverter (On shore power)

Got the new one, and reversed the procedure again UNPLUGGING FROM SHORE POWER first.

Six years later said inverter is still.. on standby in the basement as I type.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had read over the years that it was virtually impossible to get a Xantrex inverter/charger repaired. (Guess not) !

Would anyone please post who repairs these critters and any other info that would be helpful.

Tags
inverter, repairs