Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
New AC Shrouds (covers)...what color?

My AC covers are brittle and cracking from years in the sun. I'm going to replace them but can't get them in a color to match my coach. Next best stock color is black. If I go with black, might I expect a reduction in cooling since black will heat up in the sun? Sounds trivial but a loss in cooling would not be acceptable? Any thoughts?
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have two A/C shrouds and three roof vent covers. I painted mine a silver grey to match the color of my coach. I used spray on paint made specifically for plastic.

I live where 105 degrees is common so I will usually repaint about every two years or so.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
had to settle for white. I figure black will heat up more on hot days when we want to use the AC.

But yes, we wanted an off-white beige color just couldn't find any. Took like 15mins on each AC unit to replace them. About $100/ec delivered on Amazon.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
oh, should have read about the spray paint detail. I considered that too then I got better... hahaha, just lazy. Never looked into a good paint yo handle 120F+ it probably gets on the roof during hot days.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'm I correct in that the cooling condenser is under it own cover and may not be affected by air warmed by a black shroud? When you remove a shroud the fins that are visible are the evaporator fins which are hot any way correct? I know....I'm making way too much of this and should probably not be concerned.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
I'm I correct in that the cooling condenser is under it own cover and may not be affected by air warmed by a black shroud? When you remove a shroud the fins that are visible are the evaporator fins which are hot any way correct? I know....I'm making way too much of this and should probably not be concerned.

The color makes little difference. The cover is a few inches away from components. I have 3 black covers ... the efficiency of the units is a far bigger concern. In other words, choose a color based on esthetics ... no worries.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
No, the fins you see are the condenser fins which shed the heat. The evaporator coil is enclosed and is cold.
I bought white for mine as the originals were painted grey to match the coach. I figured since I had a lighter color coach, the white would be closer than black to the original look. I wipe them with some 303 once in a while too. I have noticed the later model Newmars use black shrouds to match the dark upper color of the coach.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #8

I'm not sure what brand of shrouds you're looking at but I highly recommend Icon - they are heavy duty - may not come in the color you desire but they will last a long time.
https://www.icondirect.com/categorie...ioner-Shrouds/
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:19 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I'm not sure what brand of shrouds you're looking at but I highly recommend Icon - they are heavy duty - may not come in the color you desire but they will last a long time.
https://www.icondirect.com/categorie...ioner-Shrouds/
Glad to know that. I bought the dometic replacements which seemed to be thicker than the originals. I didn't know anything about the Icons or I might have bought them.
jt
Old 01-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I reinforced the thin plastic where the mounting screws hold the A/C shroud to the base. I used fiberglass tape and then added rubber washers to the screws.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I reinforced the thin plastic where the mounting screws hold the A/C shroud to the base. I used fiberglass tape and then added rubber washers to the screws.

I need to add some rubber washers to mine.
jt
Old 01-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
cool info about the should color, like black, won't affect heat. You know? the description of the process kinda made me smack my head a bit... thanks
Old 01-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I painted my 3 A/Cs with Rustolem 2X silver to semi match my RV and to reflect heat. One day I walked by my middle A/C and most of the heat coming out the side was returning to the rear intake. All three now have baffles about a ft sq at the back.

Tags
cover