Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
New Batteries; New Converter/Charger?

I recently replaced my house batteries (12V Interstate flooded) with (2) Trojan T-105s. I have owned my MH for 5 years and the Interstate batteries were in it when I bought it. The date labeling wasn't "punched out" on top of the batteries, so I'm not sure how old they were, but they were definitely getting tired.
The existing and probably original converter charger in my 2000 model MH is visible through a screened area under my refrigerator, but quite hard to get my hands on. I can make out the Model # (9950081RV3, 50A).
My question is this: Would I be doing myself and my new batteries a favor by replacing my old charger/converter with newer technology? I have no idea whether the old unit has the ability to control charge rates, etc. in order to keep the new batteries in optimal condition.
I appreciate any feedback or suggestions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tried multiple searches and could not find that converter..Need a MAKE.

Thus I can not tell you anything about it.

Recently I was going through the owner's manual packet on a Forrester Class C looking for the one manual that was not there (It is now...I downloaded and printed, has nothing to do with your question).

We came across the manual for his conerter (Progressive Dynamics Intella power 9200)

The 9200,out of the box is, for most RVers,,, there is no better converter

For a very few....Adding the optional dongle makes it better .

So,if you decide to replace..Progressive Dynamics 9240 or 9260 depending on your batteries (or 9280 if you have enough battery but the 80 may take a wire upgrade too)

Suggestion: ALL hardware, (TV,Fridge, Toilet, Microwave, Converter, Water heater and so on and so forth) Identify make and model

Google Make Model Manual

(Where make and model are replaced by the make and model)

Create a folder in your DOCUMENTS folder titled MANUALS,, and in Manuals a folder titled RV

And download the owners manual, and if offered service manual to
Documents/manuals/rv
Old 03-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #3

By "dongle" do you mean the charge wizard? The 9200 has it built in, it's the 9100 series that takes the plug in unit.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Based on Googling for a 2000 Rexhall with a 50 amp converter charger I believe it to be a Magnetek Series 900 Model 950.

They are no longer made of sold. All you can find are used ones.

Based on what I read after Googling that specific model it appears to be a single level charger @ about 14.4 VDC.

I would suggest replacing it with brand that is reputable and reliable which has multi-level charging capabilities. Ones that will charge at Bulk, Absorption and Float.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Based on Googling for a 2000 Rexhall with a 50 amp converter charger I believe it to be a Magnetek Series 900 Model 950.

Based on what I read after Googling that specific model it appears to be a single level charger @ about 14.4 VDC.

I would suggest replacing it with brand that is reputable and reliable which has multi-level charging capabilities. Ones that will charge at Bulk, Absorption and Float.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
If that is what it is I have one in the “basement” of my Alfa and it is disconnected as I replaced I with a Progressive Dynamics PD 9180 with Charge Wizard, got tired of cooking batteries.

Paul
Old 03-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks Dr,
That's the kind of info I was looking for. I don't particularly care about exactly identifying my existing eqpt., just wondering if it is old technology that needs replaced, which it appears to be. Just want to protect my new batteries as well as I can.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickthescot View Post
By "dongle" do you mean the charge wizard? The 9200 has it built in, it's the 9100 series that takes the plug in unit.
John was referring to the little remote button and light that lets the operator force the converter to bulk charge from the float stages.

It makes the converter more user friendly and provides visibility into what stage the charger is in.

The actual "wizard" was incorporated into the 9200 as you stated.

Tags
batteries, converter