Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #1

New Battery Install Question

Right now our couch has two 12 volt Interstate battery's, they are not holding a charge. They are almost 4 years old. I will go through a full check out on them to make sure if they are bad.

I have looking at replacing them with Interstate U2200 series 6 volt. My main question is, can I just put them in? or should I put them on a charger before I put them in?

Thanks.

Toad is a 04 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
SocalHodaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced my four U2200 6 volt batteries a few years back. I went out to the local RV service shop, bought four making sure of the date code so they hadn't been sitting around for a long time, brought them home, turned both chassis and coach disconnects off, disconnected the fuse for the solar panel, and proceeded to remove the four old ones and installed the new ones. Make sure to top off the water in each cell with distilled water. I also sprayed the terminals with a sealer to protect them from corrosion. You might want to clean up the tray and other stuff with a battery neutralizer and also repaint the tray before installing the new batteries.

If the new batteries need to be charged, that means that they have been sitting too long somewhere, steer clear of those. The new ones you get will not have quite a full charge but they shouldn't be depleted more than 5-10%.

Also, since you are replacing 2-12 volt batteries with 4-6 volt batteries, you will need a few extra short lengths of 2-4 gauge cables to connect a pair of 6 volt batteries together in series. Then using your existing cables, you can connect the 2 pairs of 6 volt batteries to the coach using the parallel method.

Make sure you have enough space to place the four batteries together.

Sorry for the long post and you were just asking if they needed to be charged.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #3

This wiring diagram may be useful: http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Su...nsDiagram.aspx
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote