Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I ran across this on another RV forum and copied and pasted below:
Regards,
Richard

Dometic has a new recall for refrigerators made between June 1, 2003 through September 30, 2006. Many of these are the same models as were in the older recall (Recall number 06E076000). (Technically, Dometic's letter indicates an extension of the original, but NHTSA assigned a new Recall Number and the information is under that new number.)

Text from the NHTSA website Recall 08E03200.

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
DOMETIC / NDR1062 9999
DOMETIC / RM2652 9999
DOMETIC / RM2662 9999
DOMETIC / RM2852 9999
DOMETIC / RM2862 9999
DOMETIC / RM3662 9999
DOMETIC / RM3663 9999
DOMETIC / RM3862 9999
Recall Number: 08E032000
Summary:
DOMETIC HAS REPORTED A SAFETY RELATED DEFECT COVERING 745,574 TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATORS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN JUNE 1, 2003 AND SEPTEMBER 30, 2006, WITH SERIAL NOS. 320XXXXX THROUGH 352XXXXX; 401XXXXX THROUGH 452XXXXX; 501XXXXX THROUGH 552XXXXX; AND 601XXXXX THROUGH 639XXXXX, INSTALLED IN CERTAIN RECREATIONAL VEHICLES AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND SOLD AS REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT. A FATIGUE CRACK MAY DEVELOP IN THE BOILER TUBE WHICH MAY RELEASE A SUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT.
Consequence:
THE RELEASE OF COOLANT UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD IGNITE AND RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF RECREATIONAL VEHICLES THAT HAD THE REFRIGERATORS INSTALLED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND DOMETIC WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF THE AFTERMARKET REFRIGERATORS. DOMETIC WILL INSTALL A SECONDARY BURNER HOUSING FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL/MAY 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOMETIC AT 888-446-5157.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I ran across this on another RV forum and copied and pasted below:
Regards,
Richard

Dometic has a new recall for refrigerators made between June 1, 2003 through September 30, 2006. Many of these are the same models as were in the older recall (Recall number 06E076000). (Technically, Dometic's letter indicates an extension of the original, but NHTSA assigned a new Recall Number and the information is under that new number.)

Text from the NHTSA website Recall 08E03200.

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
DOMETIC / NDR1062 9999
DOMETIC / RM2652 9999
DOMETIC / RM2662 9999
DOMETIC / RM2852 9999
DOMETIC / RM2862 9999
DOMETIC / RM3662 9999
DOMETIC / RM3663 9999
DOMETIC / RM3862 9999
Recall Number: 08E032000
Summary:
DOMETIC HAS REPORTED A SAFETY RELATED DEFECT COVERING 745,574 TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATORS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN JUNE 1, 2003 AND SEPTEMBER 30, 2006, WITH SERIAL NOS. 320XXXXX THROUGH 352XXXXX; 401XXXXX THROUGH 452XXXXX; 501XXXXX THROUGH 552XXXXX; AND 601XXXXX THROUGH 639XXXXX, INSTALLED IN CERTAIN RECREATIONAL VEHICLES AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND SOLD AS REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT. A FATIGUE CRACK MAY DEVELOP IN THE BOILER TUBE WHICH MAY RELEASE A SUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT.
Consequence:
THE RELEASE OF COOLANT UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD IGNITE AND RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF RECREATIONAL VEHICLES THAT HAD THE REFRIGERATORS INSTALLED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND DOMETIC WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF THE AFTERMARKET REFRIGERATORS. DOMETIC WILL INSTALL A SECONDARY BURNER HOUSING FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL/MAY 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOMETIC AT 888-446-5157.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
We purchased our 5th wheel in August 2004. We had a Dometic cooling unit fail early last year (2007) which was replaced under warranty by Dometic. So, based on our experience, these cooling unit failures are a real possibility. Fortunately, when ours failed, the RV was in covered storage with the fridge operating off of AC power.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #4

I got a flyer in the mail where Camping World had a $350.00 rebate on Dometic but you had to check in the store. Got no breaks when I replaced mine in a 1998 unit.

Paul
Old 05-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #5

Rusty

I would like to see a poll on how many of these have failed and when.

I also know these cooling unit failures are a real possibility. Our is a 2001 and it failed last month, our son-in law has a 2004 and it failed and talked to a friend that has a 2002 that failed. All of these fridge were operating off of AC power at the time they failed.

We need to get together and make Dometic fix all of them for free. I think they should last 12 year or more.

Tom

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0L 4.10
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:43 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Tom,

Our selling dealer checked when ours failed, and Dometic said that our fridge was too new to be covered by the original recall. That, to me, is why the "new" recall is interesting.

My concern, like yours, is that I don't feel real warm and fuzzy that Dometic has solved this fatigue/stress cracking problem.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Rusty

I would like to see a poll on how many of these have failed and when.

I also know these cooling unit failures are a real possibility. Our is a 2001 and it failed last month, our son-in law has a 2004 and it failed and talked to a friend that has a 2002 that failed. All of these fridge were operating off of AC power at the time they failed.

We need to get together and make Dometic fix all of them for free. I think they should last 12 year or more.

Tom

Sunny,
Will from Montgomery, AL. My dometic ref just went out a few days ago. There was no signs that it was failing. My unit is 2001 Alpine Coach. I was wonder if you could share with me who put your new unit in. Thanks
chillwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #8

You'll eventually reach a point of saying "the hell with this", and throw out that Dometic. That's what I & many others have done. Then go with a residential, you'll be asking yourself why you didn't do it sooner.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:09 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Will;

This thread is over 7 years old so you may not get a response from Sonny. You will however get a great deal of opinion on residential refrigerators, but you will need to be aware of a few more components that need to be considered before jumping onto the residential replacement bandwagon.

What is the model Dometic you have?

Several options are available to you, depends on how you use your MH, how you would like it to be used, what electrical systems your MH currently has, AND, the contents of your billfold.

I'll use my Dometic RM 2652 as an example, Yours may be similar.

Repair existing Dometic

Buy a reman / new cooling unit. You can buy a new cooling unit assembly for around $500. Before I did this, I'd need to look at door seals, shelves, electric controllers, gas valves, etc, Whats the general condition of the frig to see if I want to drop this much money into a repair.

Because of the age of my existing Dometic (14 years old), I would probably not go with this option.

Replace with same / similar unit

I can buy a new Dometic frig (RM2852) to replace my existing Dometic for about $1000. This would have all new components, all the shelves and accessories, a warranty, and is an exact replacement for my RM 2652. Brand spanking new, shouldn't have any more problems for the next 10-15 years.

Size Dimensions: 59 15/16 x 23 11/16 x 24

Replace with Residential Frig

A similar unit in size to my Dometic will run about $400 - $600 for the frig. If there were no other considerations, I'd be out there with my tape measure trying to figure out what I would need to do to put a residential in my unit.

HOWEVER - For me, there is more to this decision, and I would probably opt to by a new Dometic DM-2852, Here's my thoughts;

The cost differential of $500 is significant, but, there could be more to the cost than just the frig.

You need to look specifically at how you use your MH, what electrical systems you have, and how will your decision effect re-sale, if this is a concern.

I have a simple basic electrical system, one group 27 coach battery, a 45 amp 3 stage converter, a 2000 watt genny. I do not have any inverters that would be capable of running a frig.

If I mainly spent the majority of my time plugged into shore power, I would consider the residential at a cost savings of $500. I could run the genny while on the road to keep the frig happy, and plug into shore power at my destination.

I don't use my MH that way. I spend a good portion of my time not plugged in, so if I decided to go with the residential, I would either need to run the genny a few hours a day to keep the frig cold, and/or upgrade my electrical systems with a couple higher amp batteries and an inverter, or buy a DC frig.

Depending on how much I want to lower the genny time, the cost of these components will push the coast of the residential frig way past the cost of a new Dometic.

I generally don't consider resale value when I do something. But If I were looking for a MH, and it had a very basic electrical system and a residential frig, I would either pass on it, consider what it would cost to upgrade the electrical system, or consider what it would cost to put a Dometic back in it.

I hope I have helped shed light on the parameters you'll need to make your decision, Keep us posted.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Will;

This thread is over 7 years old so you may not get a response from Sonny. You will however get a great deal of opinion on residential refrigerators, but you will need to be aware of a few more components that need to be considered before jumping onto the residential replacement bandwagon.

What is the model Dometic you have?

Several options are available to you, depends on how you use your MH, how you would like it to be used, what electrical systems your MH currently has, AND, the contents of your billfold.

I'll use my Dometic RM 2652 as an example, Yours may be similar.

Repair existing Dometic

Buy a reman / new cooling unit. You can buy a new cooling unit assembly for around $500. Before I did this, I'd need to look at door seals, shelves, electric controllers, gas valves, etc, Whats the general condition of the frig to see if I want to drop this much money into a repair.

Because of the age of my existing Dometic (14 years old), I would probably not go with this option.

Replace with same / similar unit

I can buy a new Dometic frig (RM2852) to replace my existing Dometic for about $1000. This would have all new components, all the shelves and accessories, a warranty, and is an exact replacement for my RM 2652. Brand spanking new, shouldn't have any more problems for the next 10-15 years.

Size Dimensions: 59 15/16 x 23 11/16 x 24

Replace with Residential Frig

A similar unit in size to my Dometic will run about $400 - $600 for the frig. If there were no other considerations, I'd be out there with my tape measure trying to figure out what I would need to do to put a residential in my unit.

HOWEVER - For me, there is more to this decision, and I would probably opt to by a new Dometic DM-2852, Here's my thoughts;

The cost differential of $500 is significant, but, there could be more to the cost than just the frig.

You need to look specifically at how you use your MH, what electrical systems you have, and how will your decision effect re-sale, if this is a concern.

I have a simple basic electrical system, one group 27 coach battery, a 45 amp 3 stage converter, a 2000 watt genny. I do not have any inverters that would be capable of running a frig.

If I mainly spent the majority of my time plugged into shore power, I would consider the residential at a cost savings of $500. I could run the genny while on the road to keep the frig happy, and plug into shore power at my destination.

I don't use my MH that way. I spend a good portion of my time not plugged in, so if I decided to go with the residential, I would either need to run the genny a few hours a day to keep the frig cold, and/or upgrade my electrical systems with a couple higher amp batteries and an inverter, or buy a DC frig.

Depending on how much I want to lower the genny time, the cost of these components will push the coast of the residential frig way past the cost of a new Dometic.

I generally don't consider resale value when I do something. But If I were looking for a MH, and it had a very basic electrical system and a residential frig, I would either pass on it, consider what it would cost to upgrade the electrical system, or consider what it would cost to put a Dometic back in it.

I hope I have helped shed light on the parameters you'll need to make your decision, Keep us posted.

Thank you Waiter for your weigh in on this issue. You and I pretty much travel the same way. I spend must of my time unplugged, so the residential ref will probably not be suitable for me although I have mean to do so. I have a repair shop which is about 5 miles from my home. I'm scheduled to take it up there next week for them to diagnose my issue on whether the cooling unit is gone out. I have a dometic NDR 1492 which has been replaced with the RM 1350, which is priced at somewhere around $3200. If it's the cooling unit, I think I'm going to have them install a new one instead of getting a new ref. Again thanks for the info and HAPPY CAMPING and SAFE TRAVEL
chillwill is offline   Reply With Quote