Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #1

New Member with 12V problem.

Hi I am new to this forum and am looking for an answer to my 12 Volt Problem. My Converter went bad and I replaced it with a new converter and I have 14.7 volts going to my battery but only have 12 volts coming out of one of my seven 12 volt fuses now with the new converter. All the rest of my fuse holders do not have power. All the fuses are good. Can the fuse block where the fuses plug in go bad and need replaced?
Beemerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That ... Depends on the converter.. Mor likely wired wrong though.

You said you replaced the converter.. Replacing the converter before you contact the forum is a bad idea.. But we will get to why later.

What converter do you have.. There is one that really, seriously, needs an upgrade and well... That is one of the ones that can do what you describe.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
That ... Depends on the converter.. Mor likely wired wrong though.

You said you replaced the converter.. Replacing the converter before you contact the forum is a bad idea.. But we will get to why later.

What converter do you have.. There is one that really, seriously, needs an upgrade and well... That is one of the ones that can do what you describe.
The converter I used is a Power Max 220PCONV-45 PM -3
Old 01-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club

I saw in your profile your RV is a 30' Avion travel trailer. Did you clean the connections to the battery and check that the ground cable has a good connection to ground? I think the wiring is much simpler than some motorized units. Where does the (+) cable from the battery go? Does it go to the fuse block or is there an intermediary switch or relay?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

I saw in your profile your RV is a 30' Avion travel trailer. Did you clean the connections to the battery and check that the ground cable has a good connection to ground? I think the wiring is much simpler than some motorized units. Where does the (+) cable from the battery go? Does it go to the fuse block or is there an intermediary switch or relay?
I am getting 14.7 volts to the battery no problem there. The problem is the I only get 12 volts to one terminals on the 12 volt fuse board. All the rest of the fuse terminals get no current. Could the old converter have destroyed the fuse board somehow? I have ordered a new fuse board since it is only about $20.00 but haven't got it yet. I hope that fixes it.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd check the ground connection. 1st from the battery to frame and is there a ground wire also to the board? If yes, check that for corrosion. Also how long is the + wire from battery to the bounder sized Is the + wire warm or hot to the touch? Something you could try. disconnect the Plus wire from battery to board. Now, using a jumper cable clip one end to the board and then hook up to PLUS to the battery. Check voltage. If you get14 volts that should tell you the wire you were using is bad.
Only way I can ever figure out electrical stuff is disconnect and then jump circuits. Safe Travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #8

What power center is in it and is it a built in or stand alone converter?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:55 AM   #9

Stand Alone Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
What power center is in it and is it a built in or stand alone converter?
It is a stand alone converter.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #10

Check where your cables connect to the battery for swollen cables. That is a sign that corrosion has set inside the insulation. New cables are the fix for that. Look at the ground cable where it goes to the frame for the same thing and that there is no corrosion on the connection.

The other connections on the fuse board NOT getting power could be a fuse between the MAIN circuit and secondary circuits - or could be burnt out. Disassembly and inspection will tell. Since you already have a new one on the way, replace it for peace of mind because something caused it to lose continuity.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #11

Thanks

Thanks for every ones help. I will report back when the new fuse board is installed.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
I had a similar problem years ago on my first coach. It turned out to be bad (cold) solder joints at the fuses. If you are not talented with a big heavy duty soldering iron hire out the job. Check at the back of the panel for voltage in and then to each fuse. If you have a substatial drop you may cold solder joints.
Mr.Geritol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #13

Because many older converters had separate battery/fuse panel outputs, seperate charger circuits and transfer relays, the answer to this problem may be in the type of converter he replaced. Would help to start there.
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #14

12 Volt Fuse board and Converter was Bad

I installed a new 12 Volt fuse board and everything works well now.
For some reason the board and converter both went bad and when I replaced the converter only I still could not get 12 V current distributed threw the board. So when I replaced the board with a new one everything worked.