Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #1

New Norcold refrigerator won't stay on

We replaced our Norcold 2 way refrigerator with a Norcold 2-way the end of May. The new one started turning off about a week later. We have been around and around with Norcold. It has had every test that they wanted done by the dealer. We replaced the 'mother board' but this did not fix the problem.. Last week it started giving a code HE and the alarm going off when on electric. We put it on LP. It still would not stay on after a day or so. We have logged almost 3 pages of times it has shut itself off. Now Norcold wants to put in another board and an eyebrow.
Has anyone else had any problems similar to this? We hate to be gone any length of time for fear it will have shut off.
Thank you.
tomur2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
All I know is I had the exact same thing happen to mine. Fortunately I got the RV dealer to replace it with unfortunately another just like it. Let them deal with Norcold. So far after seven months of constant use, the replacement hasn't missed a beat.

Good luck with yours. I hope you can get the whole unit replaced as I did. I think that is the only real solution.
Auto hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Make certain there is not a source of dirty DC current being produce by something like a florescent light fixture; as these control boards act squirrelly when exposed to some ripple on the power line.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Make certain there is not a source of dirty DC current being produce by something like a florescent light fixture; as these control boards act squirrelly when exposed to some ripple on the power line.
x2, I had a florescent light, that if it was on, my ac fan would not shut down. replaced it with 2 led tubes which bypass the balast and everything is fine. so I would turn off all florescents and see what happens.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
We tried that, we parked overnight at dealers to check different electric, we tried on LP only. It keeps going off. Even went off with technician standing in the rig. Thanks for imput. p.s. just learning this irv2 system, and like it!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome tomur2 to irv2.
I would assume you have checked the 12v fuse panel plus tighten all connections in it and also the ground side of the 12v wiring.
If you do not have screw connections than maybe you have crimped connections behind the 12v board.
Vibrations while traveling will loosen up wiring connections.
There maybe a 12v block behind the fridge on support floor that should have been checked out by now.
You need 12v for all operation of fridge LP gas or 110 for heater elements.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #7

See if it stays on when you turn off your power converter and use the 12v from the chassis batteries. My Norcold N821 began to continually turn itself off after about 10 minutes when on shoreline and the converter on. After countless research, I tracked it down to the converter. My next action is to run a direct 12v line to the 12v in on the control board on the refer to see if it will stay on with the converter powered up. After that, replacing the Parallax 7155 with a Progressive Dynamics converter.
heidorn39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #8

new Norcold refrigerator won't stay on....

Thank you to all who replied.
We finally stayed overnight at the dealer's and he ran tests. Norcold send another reefer, but soon after that we found our converter was shot. The shot converter probably ruined the other reefer. We were able to order a converter and with help over the phone from the dealer our son put the new converter in -to save us another trip to the dealer.

Trying to find solutions to problems like this is like trying to find where a water leak is coming in.

Thanks again.

Tags
norcold, refrigerator