Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2005, 07:48 AM   #1

We recently purchased a 1990 Gulfstream, which is absolutely a BLAST to have. (Notwithstanding the nasty gas prices lately!)

I've read all the manuals, but haven't been able to determine what is special about the television set that came standard with the RV. Forgive my ignorance, this is the first RV or camper of any type we've owned.

It's 15 years old, so the TV has no auxiliary plugs for VCR/DVD players. It is "cable-ready" which doesn't help much as we dry camp quite a bit.

It's one of those televisions that is mounted in the box up high between the driver and passenger seat. The electric plug is in the overhead compartment over the passenger seat. There's a little switch that you press on the electric box that will actually turn the television on when you're plugged in.

I would like to switch this television with a newer one that has all of the auxiliary plugs- and was considering an LCD TV. You can buy a small one for around 300.00 or so, and I thought this could easily be mounted on the front of the box, rather than on the inside. I could put the DVD player inside the box where the telelvision current resides.

What do I need to look for when doing this? Are there any books or instructions on how to start?

I'd just appreciate advice on the gotcha's that may come about.

Thank you!!
ExtraHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2005, 07:48 AM   #2

We recently purchased a 1990 Gulfstream, which is absolutely a BLAST to have. (Notwithstanding the nasty gas prices lately!)

I've read all the manuals, but haven't been able to determine what is special about the television set that came standard with the RV. Forgive my ignorance, this is the first RV or camper of any type we've owned.

It's 15 years old, so the TV has no auxiliary plugs for VCR/DVD players. It is "cable-ready" which doesn't help much as we dry camp quite a bit.

It's one of those televisions that is mounted in the box up high between the driver and passenger seat. The electric plug is in the overhead compartment over the passenger seat. There's a little switch that you press on the electric box that will actually turn the television on when you're plugged in.

I would like to switch this television with a newer one that has all of the auxiliary plugs- and was considering an LCD TV. You can buy a small one for around 300.00 or so, and I thought this could easily be mounted on the front of the box, rather than on the inside. I could put the DVD player inside the box where the telelvision current resides.

What do I need to look for when doing this? Are there any books or instructions on how to start?

I'd just appreciate advice on the gotcha's that may come about.

Thank you!!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:48 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You shouldn't have a problem putting in a LCD TV, most come with instructions for install. The tv can also be mounted on a bracket to mount to exsisting box location. May have to place 2x4 or board in box for mounting bracket. Some brackets hinge to drop tv down to access rear of tv. Some tv's come with DVD built in so you would not need another unit unless you wanted to install a surround system off a DVD surround amp with speakers. The outlet your talking about maybe the amp for tv antenna if it has a red led on it when turned on.
The space in the box could be used for storage of your DVD's. Have fun with install. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #4

Thank you so much for the reply 007. I was just concerned that there was something unique about the RV televisions that I wasn't picking up on while reading their instructions.

And I do believe that you are correct that the switch (that does indeed turn on a little red light) is for the antenna! The previous owner didn't tell me why to turn it on- just to do that. I'm learning slowly but surely.

That antenna does get incredibly good reception though- I was pretty impressed.

Looks like my husband and I will have a winter project to work on after all.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:51 AM   #5

Another option is to get a unit (from Radio Shack) which allows you to plug in your DVD, etc, and then puts the signal out on channel 3 or channel 4 for the TV to use.

The 'switch/red light' is an antenna amplifier.

A 300.00 LCD TV may be hard to see unless you are standing right in front of it. For that price, it is likely to be pretty small.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:05 AM   #6

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii (last fixed residence before becoming fulltimers)
We just replaced the 10 year old TV in our motorhome with a 26" LCD High Def. TV. I reinforced the existing "box" that held the original TV then surface mounted the new TV across the face of the opening that held the old one. I installed a 2X12 in the opening to mount the new bracket on. We are in a campground with digital cable and the picture and sound are awesome!!
Poki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:49 AM   #7

Thanks for the info Barry! That is exactly what I was pondering. I'm very happy to hear that it worked out for you.

I've seen some 17" LCD's on sale at Wal-Mart for under 400.00- or if I get really gutsy, I'm considering a rebuilt one off e-Bay for around 200
Old 09-02-2005, 08:45 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is this a Motorhome? if so then there may also be a back-up camera somewhere. I have seen combo tv/back-up monitors that are located in that position.