Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
If you are looking to buy a used RV then wait until you get it and use the unit before you worry too much about the fridge. I have a 17 year old Dometic that works wonderfully, rock hard ice cream, no frost-up problems. corrected all that by adding an old computer fan and a foot of wire. Refer runs at mid setting now in Florida heat. If you have any problems they are all solvable and not new, all the help is on this forum. If you are buying new specify a residential and you will have the proper inverter and battery pack from the get go, it is the coming trend.
My experience with my 11-year-old Dometic was not the same as yours -- I replaced the cooling unit, added fans, and even modified the fridge's thermistor. To no avail, as the inside fridge temp kept climbing over 40 degrees F -- above food safety limits.

If I was part-timing, I think I could have lived with this, but not for full time RVing.

Some residential fridge advocates would have you believe that Dometic & Norcold absorption fridges are blowing up every minute. They're not.

I worry more about the inside temps than a fridge fire.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
These experiences are tragic for certain. But, techknowledge type for techknowledge type, absorption refrigerators, the standard RV type, have destroyed more RVs than the modern residential refrigerator has destroyed housed. .

TTFN
Would you please provide the data from which you made that statement?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Would you please provide the data from which you made that statement?
I personally know of two such fires. One was in Lindale, TX and the folks rig was a total loss... refrigerator fire was the cause. Another was a motorhome that a friend bought to restore. The refrigerator had caught on fire but the coach was saved. The damage was to the outside wall behind the refrigerator and surrounding area. He had some other friends restore it and sold it for a profit.

Here are a few references for you: Refrigerator-Fires
RV Appraisals & Investigations of America

I don't know the value of this one because of the nature of the site. That is to be your call: Dometic/Norcold Refrigerator Recall | RV Fire Lawsuit Attorney

How many houses are there with refrigerators in them? Silly question, I know. But more importantly, how many houses have you heard of, out off all that have residential refrigerators, that have caught fire because of the refrigerator?

Here is a Bing search that I did:

residential refrigerator fires - Bing

Please, let me not be the influence here. Judge for yourself.

I hope I have answered your very valid question. Thanks for the challenge.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 10-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I personally know of two such fires . . .
How many houses are there with refrigerators in them? Silly question, I know. But more importantly, how many houses have you heard of, out off all that have residential refrigerators, that have caught fire because of the refrigerator?
Mmmmmm . . . not the best data collection methodology.

But more importantly, your list of links had one link that pretty much deflated the Residential Fridges Are Safe argument: Consumer Reports - Home Appliance Fires.
Did you know that Maytag recalled over 1.6 million fridges because of a potential fire hazard?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Did you know that Maytag recalled over 1.6 million fridges because of a potential fire hazard?
I didn't know that. I think that's what Norcold should have done.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
The key word here is "potential". Norcold and Dometic are frequently posting recalls and it is our job to find them. I don't know if this is true for Maytag. I could be wrong. But, how often do we hear of a house burning down because of the refrigerator? I am not aware of any personally. And what is the percentage ratio of fire potential for the types of units manufactured? I am just guessing that it is much greater for the absorption refrigerator used in RVs.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #35

That's the beauty of living in the U.S.A. We all have the freedom to choose what we buy and use. We have the right to deride a product when we are actually without factual data to support what we say-up to the point of slander. Websites trolling for participants in a class-action lawsuit are not sources of factual data. None of the websites in the simple search results that I opened even mentioned a percentage of refrigerator fires per xxxx number of RV.s Of course we all know everything published on the internet must be true_. I support your right to speak your mind.

This article from consumerreports.org is the one bright star of statistics from that entire Bing search. "over 150,000 appliance fires a year" "microwave fires result in class-action lawsuit" That one website does contain a lot of hard data, none of it however pertains to the subject of this thread; MH refrigerators.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, refrigerator