Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
"Night Off" thermostat ?

What is a "night off" thermostat ?

For whatever reason, I cannot turn off my heater without pulling the fuse. Even if I put the thermostat on its lowest setting, it comes on. This won't work for me while is being stored this winter. So I was wanting to find a "heat only" thermostat that actually has an on/off switch, but all I've found just say "night off". Does a simple "heat only" thermostat with an on/off swith exist ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the heat thermostat a totally separate one. If it is, it should either have a small lever on top that turns the furnace off or on. Or, if maybe the type that you slide to the far left and then push it harder until it clicks off.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Mine has a little switch (tab) on the bottom you slide over to turn off.. You have to get down and look up to see it.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I thiink mine is supposed to have the little switch on the bottom, but it looks like it's broken off. I pulled the cover off the thermostat thinking I could manually switch it off. I moved the switch's slide, but the furnace still comes on. So either something else is screwed up in it, or something is wrong with the wiring. I figured it would be easiest just to replace the thermostat. I have found one on ebay that looks like mine (with the switch on the bottom), but its $30. I was hoping to do a little better if I could, but I'll probably just get that one.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Mines an Atwood Hydroflame with the simplest 2-wire thermostat I've ever seen.. That 'switch' actually just breaks a contact (black tab, lower left in pic).. you could simply slip a peace of card stock in there...

And, since its 2-wire, it should stop when you pull one wire, breaking the circuit. Does this happen? If so, then, instead of paying for a $30 part, you could wire in a toggle and have a 'Heater On/Off' like the Water Heater.

Or, you could just run to Lowes and pick up a $10 2-wire thermostat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_F38D3097-85BA-399A-66FE-4531CB47F237 (Small).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	13966   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000603 (Small).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	13967  

Old 09-19-2011, 04:06 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Jim, thanks for the pics !!!!

I have a Surbuban, but your thermostat looks very close to mine. I've thought about just adding a simple switch, but I like to keep things looking as "stock" as possible. Although I didn't know Lowes had simple 2 wire thermostats. I'll have to check that out.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Called "heat only" thermostats... Just don't get a digital unless it can run on 12vdc.. Home ones are 24vac.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #8

The battery operated Hunter Thermostats can be used with 12VDC system. They just use relays to control the source vothge (12VDC, 24VAC, millivolt, etc.) back to the the proper circuit. You just configure it for a 2 wire heat only system. I have used Hunter model 4426 for years on a older 12vdc coleman furnace. They use the batteries for logic control not the source 24VAC.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:13 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the info guys !!!!

Does anybody know what "night off" means ?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
No clue..

Tags
thermostat