RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2018, 08:16 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
No-load Draw On Batteries

I just put a Magnum ME-BMK battery monitoring kit and ME-ARC-50 advanced remote control in our motorhome. It's like electric candy to my Type-A, OCD personality!

I've learned more in the past 24 hours about our energy use than I did over our first 13 months of ownership. Phantom loads have been chased down and disconnected and our batteries should carry us through a much (MUCH!) longer period between charges.

However, when at rest with just a single, tiny LED that I can't turn off, I'm showing a -0.6A draw on the battery bank. I know that's not much and I'm not sweating it. However, I am curious if that's about the expected draw from an ME2012 inverter/charger (which is turned off - not inverting or charging), ME-AGS-N auto-start module, ME-ARC-50 remote module, and ME-BMK monitor module.

It certainly *seems* like a -0.6A draw for all of that equipment would be reasonable, but I'm just guessing and am sure that somebody here actually knows.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
Community Moderator

perfectly reasonable. inverter control board though off, batt monitor, ags standby and co detector... they all draw current.

fyi - when my inverter is on but no load, batt loses 6a.

CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:11 PM   #3

Very normal...actually I'm surprised it is that low.
All the stuff plugged in...even though OFF stills has 'power'

More curious as to WHAT items/components you chased down/disconnected (Phantom Loads)????
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #4

That's not too bad . Just remember that the .6 amp load will kill a 220 amp hr battery bank (a pair of golf cart batteries) in 2 weeks .
Old 05-27-2018, 04:44 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
perfectly reasonable. inverter control board though off, batt monitor, ags standby and co detector... they all draw current.

fyi - when my inverter is on but no load, batt loses 6a.
Thank you for the confirmation, CountryFit. I felt pretty good about it, but now I feel even better! :-)

And that 0.6A draw is with the inverter OFF. If I turn it on, it adds another 3.2A before any 120VAC load is applied. Even when in Search mode, it adds about 1A.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Very normal...actually I'm surprised it is that low.
All the stuff plugged in...even though OFF stills has 'power'

More curious as to WHAT items/components you chased down/disconnected (Phantom Loads)????
There were a LOT of phantom loads on the 120AC circuit served by the inverter. TVs, surround sound controllers, the TV lift, the microwave . . . I've removed most of those either by unplugging them or by turning off the circuit breakers.

That 0.6A draw is with the inverter OFF, but I still had some phantom 12VDC loads that had to be found and removed to get down that low.

There was a 12VDC TV antenna booster hidden behind the access panel in the overhead electronics bay that was always on and drawing about 3.0A, our WiFi Ranger that's hardwired to 12VDC and draws 2.4A, and the 12V power adapter for our GPS that still draws, even when the GPS isn't even connected to it.

The remaining 0.6A seems really low now that I've mapped out what's still pulling from the battery bank, but I'll take it! We're still running:
  • The base functions of the ME2012 charger/inverter
  • The ME-AGS-N auto gen start module
  • The ME-BMK battery monitor unit
  • The ME-ARC-50 remote for the ME2012
  • The thermostat
  • The control board on the Intellitec SMART EMS 800

That seems like quite a lot for 0.6A, but I trust the BMK. I'm down from about 8A from the 12VDC side and from another 10A when the inverter was turned on. Big improvement and worth every penny of the BMK and ARC-50's cost!
Old 05-27-2018, 05:06 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
That's not too bad . Just remember that the .6 amp load will kill a 220 amp hr battery bank (a pair of golf cart batteries) in 2 weeks .
Heck, yes! That's definitely on my mind! That's why I would have loved to drop it even lower, but I'm very happy with that number compared to where we started.

When it's parked and disconnected from shore power, I turn off the house disconnect, which drops it down to 0.4A, still leaving all of the Magnum modules online.

During storage, the AGS is set to run when the State of Charge reaches 70% OR it has been more than 10 days since the SOC was at 100% OR when it has been more than 14 days since the generator ran. Those features of the ME-AGS and ME-ARC-50 should keep the batteries in good shape when they're in storage.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lemme know when the OCD gets worse...and we’ll take you thru the VRM wormhole. 24/7/365...monitoring from anywhere. Graphs...that you can click on to read data points. Oh yeah... ME-BMK is just a gateway drug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	087C70F4-C09B-4C46-B757-08240299B25F.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	204517  
Old 05-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Lemme know when the OCD gets worse...and we’ll take you thru the VRM wormhole. 24/7/365...monitoring from anywhere. Graphs...that you can click on to read data points. Oh yeah... ME-BMK is just a gateway drug
It's already getting worse. LiFePO4 batteries and a solar array are on the way as I type. :-)

What VRM system are you using?
Old 05-27-2018, 06:13 PM   #10

Don't forget on the Magnum panel you can have it kill the invertor when usage is below X number of amps. That can really prolong how long you can go if you can find the sweet spot.

Also Magnum makes a web monitoring kit. It is pretty awesome. I use the data from that to build out dashboards at the house, and to monitor the unit when the dogs are alone in there.
drivintin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivintin View Post
Don't forget on the Magnum panel you can have it kill the invertor when usage is below X number of amps. That can really prolong how long you can go if you can find the sweet spot.

Also Magnum makes a web monitoring kit. It is pretty awesome. I use the data from that to build out dashboards at the house, and to monitor the unit when the dogs are alone in there.
Yup! "Search Watts". We always *wanted* to use it, but our inverter draws were always so high because of the phantom loads, we just left it off. Now, we have it set to 5 watts and can't wait to see how well it works the next time out!
Old 05-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Yup! "Search Watts". We always *wanted* to use it, but our inverter draws were always so high because of the phantom loads, we just left it off. Now, we have it set to 5 watts and can't wait to see how well it works the next time out!

And I'll have to look at the Magnum web kit...
Old 05-27-2018, 06:37 PM   #13

Mine is in the shop, so most of the information isn't there, but you can look at it.

http://data.magnumenergy.com/MW5648/
drivintin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Mine is in the shop, so most of the information isn't there, but you can look at it.

Palazzo Power System: Current Conditions
That's a great web service! And that would also be addicting data to have at my fingertips, especially as we start testing and evaluating 400Ah of LiFePO4 batteries next week.

I wonder how fast I can get a Magnum web monitoring kit shipped.

Tags
batteries