Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #1

Question no low beams

our motor home has high beam/parking lights / but no power to low beams any suggestions its on a ford 550 .its a 2004 tiffin.
0tiffin0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Could you add the year of your Ford Chassis, to the post .
Old 08-10-2016, 06:46 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0tiffin0 View Post
our motor home has high beam/parking lights / but no power to low beams any suggestions its on a ford 550 .its a 2004 tiffin.
Stupid question but have you tried a new headlamp?

The reason I ask is once I had no headlights, only high beams. I thought it must be some fuse or a broken wire, etc. Just for the hell of it, I picked up a new one and it worked fine. It just turned out that both bulbs had failed on the low beam only at exactly the same time...crazy.
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:08 PM   #4

I don't think my husband was clear that he checked the fuse box. The fuses are fine (not broken). Then he checked with a test light and there's no power to that fuse ...yet all other lights are working fine?
Thanks for any other suggestions...
04 Allegro/ 03 ford 550 chassis
0tiffin0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a few weeks ago while I was in NM driving in the U-RV I hit the high beam switch and the headlights went dark.

power for headlights go though the low/high beam switch.

Turns out the 22 year old Ford needed a new switch.b Thankfully mine bolts to the floor and was $13 at Napa.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:19 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0tiffin0 View Post
I don't think my husband was clear that he checked the fuse box. The fuses are fine (not broken). Then he checked with a test light and there's no power to that fuse ...yet all other lights are working fine?
Thanks for any other suggestions...
04 Allegro/ 03 ford 550 chassis
If the bulbs are good, you are down to...

1) a bad switch (you could try and replace it)
2) a bad headlight relay (again, once you locate it, you could try and replace it)
3) broken wire (have to trace the whole circuit to find the break...PITA but has to be done if you have 2 strikes)

I would try asking this question on the ford chassis forum. There are some pretty smart cats over there (subford comes to mind) who will be a whole lot more helpful.

Best of luck!
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote