RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #1

No More Lead Acid Deep Cycle Batteries??

I have a 2007 Monaco Knight 40' Knight PDQ.
I never boondock.
I am really tired of removing all six batteries each year to clean out the corrosion and "stuff" that collects in the battery pullout tray as well as the battery bay.
Since I never boondock and never deep cycle the batteries I am considering replacing the original equipment batteries with some sealed regular automotive batteries that are reasonably priced.
I plan on only replacing the four six volt house batteries at this time and only because of the lead acid corrosion issues.
The current batteries only need water about once a year.
I never fill them over just above the plates level in each cell.
I coat the terminals with a protective so that corrosion is not a real issue.
I am just worried that eventually over the years I will need major sheet metal replacement and or a new battery tray.
Suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Lee

leeines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Well, AGM batteries would solve the cleaning and maintenance issues but they're pricey.

I never boon dock either, but would be concerned that during normal travel and use I might damage standard batteries by discharging them too much.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Or you could do what a lot of us do: put mineral oil in each cell of the wet cell batteries. 2 oz for 12 volt batteries and 4 oz for 6 volt batteries. That will not only get rid of the corrosion but cut way down on the amount of distilled water you have to add.
My battery slide out is over 10 years old now and all the original paint is still on it. I've never had to do any clean up either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeines View Post
I have a 2007 Monaco Knight 40' Knight PDQ.
I never boondock.
I am really tired of removing all six batteries each year to clean out the corrosion and "stuff" that collects in the battery pullout tray as well as the battery bay.
Since I never boondock and never deep cycle the batteries I am considering replacing the original equipment batteries with some sealed regular automotive batteries that are reasonably priced.
I plan on only replacing the four six volt house batteries at this time and only because of the lead acid corrosion issues.
I am just worried that eventually over the years I will need major sheet metal replacement and or a new battery tray.
Suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Lee
Your welcome Lee. I think something is amiss here as I boondock a couple of months in the summer and hook to shore power for four or five months in the winter and have done this for the last six or seven years in my current motor home. I have never removed my batteries and have zero corosion on the boxes. I keep them fully charged as best I can and have very little moister on the battery tops and only add water maybe every two or three months. This has pretty much been my experience on previous MH's I've owned. I use wet cells, normally t105 Trogans.

Do you think it might be possible your coach is over charging the batteries due to a converter problem, constant unknown load on the batteries, or,? Just dosen't seem to me that if everything was normal you should have to be doing all that maintenance on them? But, I'm no expert, just my .02 worth.
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Is that 4oz for each cell of a 6v battery?
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
Yes, 4oz per cell on 6 volt batteries. mineral oil available from walmart Look in pharmacy section. don't remove acid from a cell to be able to put in the 4 oz of oil.....wait until that cell can take the 4 oz
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
4 oz of mineral oil for each cell of a 6 v, 2 oz each cell of a 12 v.

How about using a couple of spray cans of bed liner on the battery racks? It would cut down on corrosion. Just be sure to wire brush, use naval jelly or some other rust treatment and prime, then spray on bed liner.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
4 oz of mineral oil for each cell of a 6 v, 2 oz each cell of a 12 v.

How about using a couple of spray cans of bed liner on the battery racks? It would cut down on corrosion. Just be sure to wire brush, use naval jelly or some other rust treatment and prime, then spray on bed liner.
If he does the mineral oil he won't need the bed liner!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Or you could do what a lot of us do: put mineral oil in each cell of the wet cell batteries. 2 oz for 12 volt batteries and 4 oz for 6 volt batteries. That will not only get rid of the corrosion but cut way down on the amount of distilled water you have to add.
My battery slide out is over 10 years old now and all the original paint is still on it. I've never had to do any clean up either.
X2
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Leeines... I got some news for you.. Those batteries you are considering are, in fact, Lead Acid batteries.

The following are all lead acid:

Flooded Wet Cell
Maintenance Free automotive or Marine or Deep cycle or combination
AGM
GEL

All are lead acid, With the exception of Flooded wet cell they are a sub class called Sealed Valve Regulated Lead Acid batteries.

So your subject line needs editing "No more Flooded Wet Cells".

I do recommend in facor of DEEP CYCLE (Which includes trolling motor batteries) and against Starting, Marine or Marine/Deep cycle types for house batteries.

All of those are avable in the VRLA sealed format.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #11

Troubleshoot it...

Carefully check out your systems and verify your charging voltages.

There is an abundance of information here on batteries, we posted a link to an internal source from one of the manufacturers, plenty of information there.

Here is the short of it.
Lead acid batteries in every form are a energy source that is based on chemical reaction.

When you put energy in a reaction takes place, take energy out an opposite reaction takes place.

During these reactions gasses can be created, the bubbles pop and splash liquid.

Cheap caps let the liquid spill on the tops of the batteries.

If the rate of charge is excessive, or the amount of charge too much the gassing will be excessive and cause excess acid.

Too high of rate of charge would be trying to charge a 70 amp hour battery with a 70 amp charger.

An excessive amount of charge would be charging at say 15 volts.

Keeping the charging parameters in the correct area will greatly reduce the gassing of the batteries which will reduce the acid effects.

DO NOT even think about converting from the flooded battry you have now to a sealed, AGM or VRLA battery YET...

They have a special construction called "acid starved" where the acid is in a matt, and the design of the mat and plates allosw fro a recombination of the gasses to create water.

They have a chamber to retain the gasses and if the rate of charge is excessive the gas pressure will cause a valve to open and release the gas, once gone cannot be returned.

As long as your wet or flooded batteries are showing too much acid in the compartment the charging system is not correct.

Flooded batteries are forgiving, just keep them wet, once you can make them happy and they are not gassing then you could consider AGM/VRLA, but the cost is a lot more and the benifit not that great.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Current batts only need water once a year.. I see no overcharging problem.

Lee, if you put in standard 'marine' or 'auto' batts, you will still have to pull and clean the batt compartment once a year as these batts will out gass as well. Best is as said above and use mineral oil inthe cells. You can combine that with new recombination caps.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #13

Interesting, over the years We've never had a problem with a corrosion buildup on my 6v wet cell batteries. We use the "Pro-Fill" battery watering system installed, perhaps that has something to do with it.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #14

Quote:
I read this as Lee having zero problems with his batteries, just that he might have problems at some time in the distant future. No need to add oil because water loss is not an issue.

Corrosion can be reduced even further by simply hosing out the battery compartment once a month or so. Can also pour warm water with a couple of spoonfuls of sodium bicarbonate dissolved into it to neutralise any acid (don't pour it right on top of the caps) before rinsing with water.
Batteries are too heavy to be lifting in and out for no good reason

Tags
batteries