Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
No post power, Gen is fine

Two days ago we had post power. Suddenly 120 V. just stopped in the coach. Coach power load was low (TV & fan). Generator works fine and powers the coach well. We are feeding 15 amp from the post to a power strip through extension cords. I would like to be able to post power. IOTA power controller shows good voltage, but no amp draw from the coach, no error codes. Any ideas why?
MuonWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #2

You probably need to invest in a heavy duty extension cord from the power source to the RV. Eliminate the power strip...it's probably bad now.

When you use under sized power cords your voltage drops because of the losses caused by the too small wire. This lower voltage causes an increase in amperage of many devices like your A/C. It can also damage things like your power controller if it's unstable of drops too low.

Using a too small extension cord is BAD, very bad. Don't do it. And get an appropriate length cord too. Don't use a power strip to extend the length.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:50 AM   #3

Its true that lower voltage can cause an electric motor to draw higher amperage but not in the case of undersized wires.

The undersized wires add resistance, in series, to the circuit, dropping the voltage. That causes the amperage to be used up as heat. It never gets to the motor.

Still not good for motors to run at low voltage or low amps.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:01 AM   #4

Can the OP start over with the explanation? What I thought I read was that the RV was plugged into the pedestal (I assumed 30 amp) and power was lost and could not be restored. He than substituted an extension cord and power strip plugged into a 15 amp receptacle. Correct???

So ... I think the question is:
How do I restore 30 amp pedestal power?
Old 07-27-2019, 11:01 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have a transfer switch? If so and if there is pedestal power and nothing in the coach, you have a problem from the IOTA to the breaker panel.

Not familiar with an Iota, hopefully someone else will chime in.

Better extension cords aren't the solution!
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #6

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuonWho View Post
Two days ago we had post power. Suddenly 120 V. just stopped in the coach. Coach power load was low (TV & fan). Generator works fine and powers the coach well. We are feeding 15 amp from the post to a power strip through extension cords. I would like to be able to post power. IOTA power controller shows good voltage, but no amp draw from the coach, no error codes. Any ideas why?
My first guess would be you have a faulty transfer switch. This is an automatic switch that usually has a PC board in it . . . . enough said there. Power surge from shore power can blow that circuit board. If it turns out that the transfer switch is the issue, look into having a surge protector installed with the new switch.
MonacoFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoFam View Post
My first guess would be you have a faulty transfer switch. This is an automatic switch that usually has a PC board in it . . . . enough said there. Power surge from shore power can blow that circuit board. If it turns out that the transfer switch is the issue, look into having a surge protector installed with the new switch.
I doubt the board is bad...if there is one. It is well enough to switch over to generator power and that is not the default position.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:21 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
OP ?

Yes to the question of just wanting to restore shore power. 20 Amp extension, through window, only being used for phone, computer, and AC fan. No physical connection to RV system. I have cycled the main circuit breaker in unit several times. It seems fine. My unfounded guess was a transfer switch. My hope was that switching to gen power would wake it up.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #9

it's been two days!

what have you done to diagnose the problem? have you tripped and reset the pedestal circuit breaker? have you checked the voltage at the pedestal? have you checked the incoming voltage at the transfer switch? have you checked for loose / burnt / corroded connections at the transfer switch? several people have reported a loose / corroded / burnt connection at either end of the shore power cord or a complete failure of the cord. easy to verify with a meter. others have reported a loose / broken connection on the coach side of the incoming power connection.

we can throw out guesses and ideas but you have to do the legwork! it should be pretty easy to trace the power from the pedestal to the transfer switch and find where it stops. once you know that then more specific remedies can be offered.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Can the OP start over with the explanation? What I thought I read was that the RV was plugged into the pedestal (I assumed 30 amp) and power was lost and could not be restored. He than substituted an extension cord and power strip plugged into a 15 amp receptacle. Correct???

So ... I think the question is:
How do I restore 30 amp pedestal power?
That's the way I got it.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
it's been two days!

what have you done to diagnose the problem? have you tripped and reset the pedestal circuit breaker? have you checked the voltage at the pedestal? have you checked the incoming voltage at the transfer switch? have you checked for loose / burnt / corroded connections at the transfer switch? several people have reported a loose / corroded / burnt connection at either end of the shore power cord or a complete failure of the cord. easy to verify with a meter. others have reported a loose / broken connection on the coach side of the incoming power connection.

we can throw out guesses and ideas but you have to do the legwork! it should be pretty easy to trace the power from the pedestal to the transfer switch and find where it stops. once you know that then more specific remedies can be offered.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	254924
Old 07-27-2019, 06:46 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Love that image....
Old 07-27-2019, 10:35 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
OP ?2

Power post always seems to be on regardless of the position of the breaker. My 30amp adapter has an indicator light and my IOTA power center is also showing good voltage on both L1 & L2. We are FT and traveling again today. Since we can live from the generator, we'll keep rolling. It will probably be Thursday till I can dig into it further. Not sure how soon I'll have internet next, so please add any other suggestions. Thanks
Old 07-28-2019, 03:45 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuonWho View Post
Power post always seems to be on regardless of the position of the breaker. My 30amp adapter has an indicator light and my IOTA power center is also showing good voltage on both L1 & L2. We are FT and traveling again today. Since we can live from the generator, we'll keep rolling. It will probably be Thursday till I can dig into it further. Not sure how soon I'll have internet next, so please add any other suggestions. Thanks
Love to help. Am having trouble with your description. Came in pretty much thinking it was the transfer switch...but

"Power post always seems to be on regardless of the position of the breaker"
You mean the power post breaker? How do you mean that it is on? Voltage measurement or light in the 30 amp adapter, which I assume you are using. If it is the 30 amp adapter and it stays on regardless of the breaker position on the pedestal...there is a problem there. Add a 20 amp adapter and plug into the 20 amp pedestal receptacle and see what happens.

"my IOTA power center is also showing good voltage on both L1 & L2." Is that measured to neutral or measured to ground, they are on different bus connections in your panel.

Since your generator works, your transfer switch is alive but there could be a problem with the shore power side, which gets the most use and is more prone to contact wear and coil issues since usually it is energized for days, in your case, maybe years!

When you get to your next destination if the problem persists, it is probably the switch. You can temporarily use the generator side of the switch for shore power while you wait to replace it. Since you probed the panel, you can probe the switch but I am concerned that you still are measuring L1 and L2 in your panel and nothing is functioning. You could have lost the neutral in the transfer switch (or the pedestal) and be making the measurements to ground and not neutral.

Good luck.

Tags
power