Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
No shore power in motorhome

We bought a 1992 American Eagle, yes things need fixed and we will and are. I have the 12 volt items working need to check luggage lights and docking lights yet but all else works.

We did have 120 power but now none, don't know when it happened. I had ran the W/D and old AC's were on, hubby removed them to put new in. They have wire nuts on the ends so the wires aren't touching anything. The power goes into the Power Switch Electric Generator Shoreline box or automatic tranfer switch but none is coming out. It was made by Todd Engineering which is now out of business.

I contacted Fleetwood and they promptly sent me all schematics they had, they do not have one for this unit and that's what we need. There is something in it or several somethings as no power is coming out of this unit. Anyone have any schematics for this so we know what relays connect to what.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you sure you have power at the post, breaker not popped? Do you have power at the breaker box in the RV?? master breaker not popped? Can you get 120 volts when running the generator?
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We are going over the coach and I am doing the part I can while DH is working away. It needs work, we put on liquid roof and I am now putting in new skylights and have replaced domes, waiting for weather to warm to finish that. New AC units are also going in. The 12 volt is working.

I checked the power at the pole, he put in 50Amp for it, there is power at the pedestal.

I checked the breaker panel under the bed, nothing. I went back and had my friend who does electrical check at the entrance of the power cord where it comes into the Power Switch and there is power there. This box is in the side bay of the motorhome and the first one of the system, it is the power switch electric generator shoreline automatic transfer switch made by Todd Engineering that contains a bunch of relay switches. My electrical guy said he really needed a schematic to work his way through the box and I can't find anybody that has one. There is no power coming out of the box. We have not tried the generator.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
automatic transfer switch
When I do not have120v after I plug into shore power, the transfer switch is my first suspect. The points get burned/pitted due to not reducing heavy loads when changing power sources, causing them to stick/hang. Often they will release if you smack the box with a balled fist or rubber mallet.
AFChap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I told my electrical guy, everything I've read says use the "whack method".

I have to be out for awhile, when I come back I will unplug the main power and look inside and see if I can see anything that looks like it needs whacked or is burned, we did but I didn't look that closely.

I read they are low maintenance items and that the Todd box is a good one, also would hate to have to replace it, but will if needed.

We are going completely over it, fluids, filters, belts, etc before taking it on a trip. There are few if any maintenance records and its very old. But overall in good condition from what we see. Lots of little stuff needs done. Problem is my husband works away 10 weeks at a time, so I am helping by doing what I can. Electrical I am a novice but I'm learning and I do have a competent tenant or two that will help, but they want schematics.

I will try the whack method, I like that one and its within my abilities!!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #6

Is there an electrical black box in your rig between your pedestal and the 120v hookup that goes to the panel? Most of these "surge protectors" have a time delay between the time you plug the rig in and when they turn on the 120v to the rig. Mine is 1 min 45 seconds. They also protect the rig from faulty pedestal wiring, reversed wires, etc.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #7

Have you opened the ATS box up to see if there is a connection diagram glued to the underside of the cover? Normally there is.

Not positive but the information at this site may help you:
Custom Marine Services, Quick Source, Todd Engineering, Automatic Transfer Switches, Automatic Power Transfer Switches, Motor Coach, RV, Marine

or possibly this: Auto Transfer Switch is ready.
Green - ground
Red - Hot #2
White - Neutral
Black - Hot #1

Cables at top
Left side - Output to load center
Center - Shore Power cable input
right side - Generator input

Control panel is under shore power cable - Default is shore power. Automatically transfers to generator 30 seconds after sensing generator power is available (allows generator to warm up before transferring).

You may find replacement parts here: http://mastertech-inc.com/img/MstrTechCat-1-2010.pdf

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #8

In 2010, we lost one leg of 110vac in our coach, opened up the transfer switch housing and found one burnt wire. Replaced it resolving the problem.

Good luck getting yours fixed..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
No surge protector inbetween.. No diagram in the box, we had the cover off. I have diagrams for everything in that thing but that.

Dave I will look at the information you gave me. Going to go back out and finish putting on another skylight.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #10

Do you have 110 Volt power when the generator is running (after the couple of minutes or so time delay)? If so, then my bet is your transfer switch has died. Just changed mine out last month. It was no fun but not inordinately difficult. The one I had was no longer made naturally and I couldn't find a soul who would admit that it was repairable (it is) or had a clue as to how. I'll fix it when I have time so I'll have a spare.
My 1st MH was an 86 Honey Class A. There was a 30 amp female receptacle that got it's power directly from the generator. If you wanted to use shore power you plugged the umbilical into shore power. If you wanted to use the generator you plugged into that receptacle. Simple and worked every time. Sometimes new and improved is only new.

Raceguy

1995 Winnebago Luxor
raceguy549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Here are the pictures of the box front and interior, cannot even find model number.

I need a front on picture, that was kind of sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Switch Box.JPG
Views:	591
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	18161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Switch Electric Generator Shoreline ATS.JPG
Views:	1379
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	18162  

Old 02-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I can't run the generator, my husband drained it all last time home and was trying to get it going again, it had air in it, so I can't use it for now, he ran out of time. The generator starts and runs fine, just when he put the new coolant in he couldn't get the air out, said he was sorry he messed with it actually. He will be back April 1st again and is going to work on this stuff. We know he won't get it all done, but hopefully a lot.

I'm not sure why but we bought this old one, we both like working on stuff and I sold my 2005 Winnie. Well yes, we both wanted a diesel. I think we paid a decent price that leaves us money to work on it with, we will get there, this is number 3. Hubby told me to keep it till I got this one going but I had a chance to sell it to a neighbor who wanted it and stopped two 3 times to see if we would sell him one of them. Knowing sometimes they can be hard to sell well I did. Now I wish I had waited like hubby said, but hey, cash inthe hand is hard to pass up. So that's how I got in this position.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I will try to get out there tomorrow and look and see if I can see burned or pitted or stuck relays, or loose wires, yes with it unplugged!

I fixed the bathroom lights, they weren't working. I think this motorhome has set for some time. The one light fixture I sprayed electrical spray in and cleaned the contact at the bottom. Took the wall switch out and found a wire had come off. After I replugged it the shower and ceiling light now work. Replaced the vanity light.

The furnaces wouldn't work. I cleaned the contacts on the thermostats and now they work. Took off the furnace covers and cleaned out lots of wasp nests. Bought insect screens to put over the outlets.

Seems like the propane sniffer is weak, ordered a new one, but old is 3 wire, new is two, a hubby fix. And yes I know one leg goes to the propane tank to turn off flow, something has changed on that safety issue.

I put in a new GFCI, I thought that only one circuit of 120 was out but when it didn't work started checking and none worked, they had worked initially. That GFCI was burned, someone had overloaded it.

Replaced one swing lamp, have the other to do, need to get a bigger connector sleeve for one of the wires so I can put it up.

Put all new insulation material, ordered from Fleetwood in the box surrounding the engine, also some Dynamat for sound.

New CO2 alarm in.

Hubby and I cleaned the roof and took out the old AC units, he put wire nuts on the ends of the wires. We then put on liquid roof, after priming it as we had the roof material that without primer its not compatible. Came out pretty good, it was really alligatored.

I have replaced 2 skylights and 3 fantastic fan domes and put on 2 new vent stack tops. A lot of the plastic up top was rotten. Cleaned off all the old globs of caulk.

I have another skylight to replace yet and put 3 Maxx Airs back on. Then ready up top for installation of new AC units.

I'm covered up right now, with yards to mow, and working on a new rent house, and taxes.

I work harder now I'm retired then when I worked, I never get done!

But I really enjoy working on these motorhomes and I'm learning a lot too.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #14

Your ATS looks like PS-850 View #3 at Custom Marine Services, Quick Source, Todd Engineering Automatic Transfer Switches, RV, Marine, Automatic Transfer Switches

50 amp 3 input (Shore Power, Generator and Inverter). That is not your typical RV implementation. Note: View #3 is not the same unit shown in views 1 and 2.
I am sure the white label information provides clues as to what everthing is.

I suggest you contact them (Custom Marine Service) about possible information about your ATS.

BTW - I did come across this Todd information but it is almost to high level for your implementation:
http://palmbeachgmc.com/manuals.html...s Instructions

Here is an outfit that has repaired Todd Products and may have some information: http://www.power-supply-repair.com/

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, power