RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
noisey Dometic Penguin A/C-heat pump

i had 2 new Dometic Penguin units installed. Anyone experience too much noise and vibrations. thank you

IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2010, 06:15 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Were they installed by Newmar dealer? Did you check to see if all bolts are tight enough? If it was Newmar dealer tell them your not satisfied.
Newmar Repair Center has vendor come in and do any repair to Mfg units they did that for mine when I had noisy AC's.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Were these replacements or new installs? I have 3 15k penguins... one had a compressor leak and is in the process of being replaced. Dometic sent a new one and Camping World is replacing it. The senior tech said it would take some extra time because something about the way Newmar fastens them to the roof makes it more difficult to get the new unit tightened down and they've had a few that have leaked. So they like to do some reinforcements and get it nice and tight to reduce vibration and of course leakage.

I do know none of mine are whisper quiet to begin with... they have a slight resonating vibration when the compressor is on.
LindyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:39 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
thank you for the info.

thet. were installed by Newmar dealer. too loud for mr me m 15k penguins. rear unit louder than front. too much resonation to stay aseep. i am 1500 miles away from dealer that did install..oy 2 month ago. i jad called dcometoc only a week or so after install. they gave me a name of a authorized Dometic dealer an hour awya from me. they heard
said it was loud. They called Dometic and a person made a statement that if they did not lagree with them they would charge the dealer...and it made the dealer gun shy. called Dometic and said they are punishing me...the customer...that tey put a fear in them...I said to Dometic..."you made them an autorized dealer because you trust their ability...you should let them do what they feel is needed...and if you find they do not perform to your expectations...you take away their dealershijp....you should not jave to scare the mechanic. The boss/owner of dealership will be back Monday..i am told the mechanic is having him call Dometic....i am not happy at this point
Old 06-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Has Dometic checked the installation and are there seals and the correct one's installed under AC'S. Maybe they have them but are not the correct ones or they have tighten the bolts to tight and cause the vibration from them to resonate through out the roof area.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:19 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Since Newmar does not install the roof air conditioners as per installation instructions, Dometic will not get involved with an install issue.Are there any large return vents under the air conditioners? If not, then there are many small ones that tie into a return trunk line. It is almost impossible to say what needs to be done to make it quiet as they usually are in Newmars.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Since Newmar does not install the roof air conditioners as per installation instructions, Dometic will not get involved with an install issue.Are there any large return vents under the air conditioners? If not, then there are many small ones that tie into a return trunk line. It is almost impossible to say what needs to be done to make it quiet as they usually are in Newmars.
please explain..do not understand "newmar does not install as per instructions". .i would like them to be more quiet...they have. noise and a resonation...thank you
Old 06-14-2010, 06:23 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
i do not know what you mean by Newmar does not install as per installation instructions. _hese are replacements by a Newmar dealer..(not Newmar) also possible were not installed properly. } did notice they used pieces of styrofoam wedged into bot sides of both units...the same styrofoam that you get in a cheap grocery store bought cooler..
Old 06-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
dometic is scaring their authorized dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Has Dometic checked the installation and are there seals and the correct one's installed under AC'S. Maybe they have them but are not the correct ones or they have tighten the bolts to tight and cause the vibration from them to resonate through out the roof area.
dometic did not offer to come out and look...they just put a big fear into their authorized dealer...saying that if they change. the units and. when dometic gets them back and tests them...if they find a wrong diagnosis..theybwillbchargebtheir dealer...so it put me tje customer without getting proper service. i am calling dometic today.
i did notice that the previous dealer that installed the new units used pieces of styrofoamvon each side of each unit and wedged them in...looks tacky to me. it is tha styrofoam like the kind from a cooler you get in a grocery store...it will eventually get brittle and flake off
Old 06-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
re noisey dometic penguins

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Were they installed by Newmar dealer? Did you check to see if all bolts are tight enough? If it was Newmar dealer tell them your not satisfied.
Newmar Repair Center has vendor come in and do any repair to Mfg units they did that for mine when I had noisy AC's.
yes..installed by Newmar dealer....i left the dealership and went 1500 miles away...called dometic..they gave me the name of their authorized Dometic dealer...
The dealer called dometic..advisedbthem of the too loud of a noise and vibrations..andn after the dealer inspected furthebsaid tjey need to be changed out...The person at dometic scared the heck out of the dealer by stating when the units come back to them and they put it on their tesying equipment and find they couldhave been repaired...they will charge te dealer. i do not think they had to say that. It is their authorized dealer and that already means they met with dometics approval...and it is a "given". if a deale makes too many mistakes...obviously they would lose their dealership. Now the dealer is afraid to do what he thinks should be done....and that is replace the units. This is not just my motorhome...it is my full time home. thank you
Old 06-15-2010, 03:00 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Get a copy of the installation manual of the unit and compare as to how Newmar installs it. Usually their roof units run quieter from the inside than other; most common installs. It is possible, that the dealer may have put the units in a bind with the styrofoam insulation you said they used as wedges. The way warranty issues work with authorized servicer (which I am one with many mfg's.) is that proper diagnostic and repairs are to be made. If a returned component or system is found to not be defective then the manufacturer does not pay any part of the claim; not labor or for the part replaced. This is common practice and can happen if the service center's technician is not careful and prudent.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:47 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Get a copy of the installation manual of the unit and compare as to how Newmar installs it. Usually their roof units run quieter from the inside than other; most common installs. It is possible, that the dealer may have put the units in a bind with the styrofoam insulation you said they used as wedges. The way warranty issues work with authorized servicer (which I am one with many mfg's.) is that proper diagnostic and repairs are to be made. If a returned component or system is found to not be defective then the manufacturer does not pay any part of the claim; not labor or for the part replaced. This is common practice and can happen if the service center's technician is not careful and prudent.
thank you...are you saying to installunits the way Newmar does..or stickwith the way Dometic intructions are? and if Newwmar way...then the technician has to calll Newmar i guess.
also re warranty issue...I understand the logic..it is just that the owner was away...and the technician called for authorization and i guess the remark from Dometic scared him. i called the owner yesterday and explained the problem...he told me to call Dometic and to have them call him...i did and they said they would...i will follow up today..thank you