Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #1

Norcold 1200 AC side problem

I had the Norcold turned off for about two months and when I turned it back on It would work fine on LP but I got a message that there was "no AC". I checked the power source and it reads 123 volts.
This unit had been working fine before I turned it off. It would automatically switch from AC to LP when I would disconnect from a power source.
Does any on know of a reset or fuse inside the unit?
Thanks for any help.
peliaspastia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
There is a fuse inside the control box. Check heating elements for continuity and for shorts to ground. If ok, install new fuse and test. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard
There is a fuse inside the control box. Check heating elements for continuity and for shorts to ground. If ok, install new fuse and test. Good luck and keep us posted.
All is well! Thanks to you. The AC fuse was blown (why I don't know) after replacing it I put everything back in place, went in the MH and pushed the on button, and oh! oh! nothing worked!!! After many moments of panic I discovered that I must have accidentally grounded the hot side of the DC power supply and blew the fuse on the MH inside panel. After replacing the fuse I again tried turning the frige back on. The lights came on, I selected Auto, and the fridge automatically switched to AC.
Thanks again.
Pete
Old 08-31-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Glad to hear it. Thanks for the update.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #5

All is not well! I put the food from the house fridge back in but the next morning the temp in the lower cooler unit was at 60 degrees but the freezer unit measured a cool -2 degrees. I switched the unit to LP and it helped a little, but not much. After switching back to AC and waiting a day the cooler unit sits at about 54 degrees while the freezer is still in the zero degree range.
Any ideas?
Old 09-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to the NotCold Norcold club. Sounds like you are going down the same road as many of us have. My problems also started with the "No AC" code, resulting in a trip to the dealer. Then it was the doors actually fell off. Then it was answering a "recall". Then a recall, to fix the previous recall. Then it was the dreaded "red light of death". Then it was tossing out sour milk and other foods, damaged by the high temps. Have you installed any extra fans, either in the fridge or outside/through the roof? I (along with many other RV'ers) have finally had it with the NotCold and are switching to residential refers. Are you sure you want to stay with the NotCold? Do a search on "Norcold Problems" and hopefully you will find a fix. Otherwise, be ready for several trips to the dealer.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peliaspastia
All is not well! I put the food from the house fridge back in but the next morning the temp in the lower cooler unit was at 60 degrees but the freezer unit measured a cool -2 degrees. I switched the unit to LP and it helped a little, but not much. After switching back to AC and waiting a day the cooler unit sits at about 54 degrees while the freezer is still in the zero degree range.
Any ideas?
When my freezer was -2 like yours and the refer part was 60 like yours , it turned out to be the two fans on the rear of the unit. Replaced them and all is well for the last three years.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can run a 12v fan or 110 fan temporary in your lower vent area pointed up to increase pushing the heated air out from behind the fridge.
Also make sure you have no blockage in the vent area up through the roof vent.
You need more cooling.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #9

I switched back to the LP side, left it on overnight, and the lower unit has now dropped to 38 degrees.
My question now is-- is there a separate AC heating element for the freezer compartment and the cooler compartment? Did the fuse blow because of a short in the heater coil for the lower unit? If so, what kind of contortions and expense does one have to go through to get it fixed?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #10

My Norcold 1200 service manual shows 2 heaters. Possibly one has failed?

If you would like a PDF file of the manual, send me a PM here at IRV2 (click on my screen name) with your e-mail address, and I will send it as an attachment.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #11

I have progressed to the point where I am considering doing a repair myself. I have located both of the AC heater elements behind the upper right hand corner of the outside panel. The curved end of them sticks out right where there is a separation in the heater insulation. The defective element is right in front and the electric supply wires clearly burned away. It would be quite easy to reach in there with a pliers and remove the defective unit. Before doing this I am hoping there is someone out there who has done this that can give any tips on the proper removal and replacement.
Thanks everyone for all the help so far.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The same two elements heat the burner pipe that your burner flame heats.
The same fuse on control board supplies 120v to both elements in fact thats the only function of 120v for you fridge.
You need to be careful when removing the element and not break off the element holder thats welded to the pipe that has been the problem with the Norcold failures and fires because that weld ruptures.
If you can turn the element in holder than you may be able to remove if you have the clearance above the holder.
The surrounding heat stack insulation may have to be removed so the element can travel straight up along the pipe.
The element is about 8" long and has to be lifted straight up.
If its rusted in holder use some PB Blaster to free up.
If you can not slip it up out of holder you may need to move fridge a few inch's into your living space inside.
Look for screws through the floor metal base of fridge and you have to remove surround around fridge inside so you can gain the room.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #13

The new heater element arrived today. Installation started with the extraction of the old element. First I turned off the power, unplugged the AC, and removed the insulation covering the heaters. Everything went smooth, that is, until I got to pulling the last 1/2 inch of the heater out of its metal tube. It stuck in the end of the tube and my leverage was lost as the curved end of the heater rose well above the outside opening. With one hand stuck up in the narrow space I could wiggle the curved end back and forth,try pushing it up with my fingers and eventually (after about an hour of wiggling ) it came loose from the tube. Of course it started raining about half way through the process! Putting the new unit in, replacing the insulation, and reconnecting the wiring was a breeze taking about 10 more minutes. The fridge is now running on AC for the last 6 hours and seems to be working well. If you don't hear from me again it was a success.
Thanks everyone for your help in this matter.

Tags
norcold