Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 09:31 AM   #1

Norcold 1200 fridge

at times it makes a louder whining noise could it be one of my fans?
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Since there's no motor in the unit, the fans are about the only culprit. Does the noise happen when on LP or 120 electric? If only on 120, are you running it on an inverter? Sometimes a modified sine wave inverter could cause a whine.

Try cleaning the blades of the fans, when they get loaded with dirt they can make noise. They aren't expensive to replace, check at any computer component store.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
Commercial Member

A Norcold 1200 series does not have fans unless someone added then inside or outside as an aftermarket addition.

If they are there, yes, the bearings go bad and they due sometimes made noise just like in a desktop computer.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 05-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
A Norcold 1200 series does not have fans unless someone added then inside or outside as an aftermarket addition.

If they are there, yes, the bearings go bad and they due sometimes made noise just like in a desktop computer.

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
With all due respect, you need to check your manual on your Norcold 1200. They certainly do have fans on the top of the heat exchange coils and they can certainly become noisy. At least ours certainly were. (We now have a residential unit.)

The only way I can see gaining access to these fans is by removing the refer. You really cannot access them from the bottom and if your top vent is like ours, you cannot access them from the top either.

Dr4Film had a good writeup on a "work around" he installed on his Norcold before he replaced it with a residential. His alternative was to add exhaust fans to the top vent. These fans provided additional air circulation to the back of the refer which helped with the heat transfer from the condensing coils. In his case he was not trying to solve a fan noise issue so I do not believe he disconnected the fans that are already mounted.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
http://www.thetford.com/wp-content/u...pabilities.pdf

Page 14, part(s) I --two fans.

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncold1200.pdf

Page 19, diagram showing two fans and their location.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:53 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Wow, I guess I should have looked at the Service Manuals I already have. But rather based my statement on our own 1200 series which does not have that option and I added fans both on the inside and outside to improve the efficiency.

I stand corrected.

The point still remains, it is common for these type muffin fans to make noise when the bearings start to fail.

TravellingRVDoctor, LLC

Tags
norcold, fridge