RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #1

Norcold 1200 LP Problem

I have a 1200 Norcold refer in a 2005 HR endevour. This weekend the LP stopped working. It lights but only stays on for around 2 minutes then shuts off. It does this a couple times then stops all together. Fridge never sets off an alarm either. It still works on 120V but when you open the door the "dr" code goes off?? I assume it's 2 problems but LP is what I'm going to start with. Thanks

corcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #2

The dr code is telling you the door is not fully shut.

You say it works on 120v - does it fully cool down? If so, your problem is with the burner or its controller. Hopefully the iRV2 user Old Biscuit will see this post and offer his accumulated wisdom and experience with these units.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #3

It cools well on 120v. Just odd the dr code started coming on at the same time as the LP problems. And it comes on as soon as you open the door? I assume it's 2 problems.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #4

Flame Lights off but only for a couple minutes then goes out....retries then shutsdown

Flame Proving is not happening
I'm surprised you are not getting a fault code *NO in display and Gas LED FLashing

Start with the basics
Are the burner slots clear/clean of rust?
What does Flame look like when it lights off......should be strong BLUE all slots and reach up inside flue opening

Spark electrode.....
Should be engulfed in Flame when it lights off
Spark gap ......1/8" - 3/16"
Electrode needs to be CLEAN of soot/carbon so flame signal can be detected
Electrode wire connection at transformer on circuit board needs to be clean/tight

Gas Valve.......
Get DC Voltage when Spark Electrode is firing.
DC only stays on Gas Valve if flame proves and continues to prove it has lit off. via spark electrode

Loose/bad ground from solenoid will cause loss of DC at gas valve
Should have 12VDC at terminals GV and GV_GRD

This is what the burner flame should look like

'dr' alarm
Should only come on when door is open for more then 2 minutes which is a very long time

Door striker plate, door alignment, door switches
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #5

Thanks.Stuff to check
Old 09-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #6

Burners clean,1/8" between the burner and the electrode and 12V at the gas valve terminals. Last time we tested it barely even stays on when it fires. I tried going from LP to AC and I had to play with the buttons for a while before it would change. Any other ideas would be helpful.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #7

After more testing I noticed the door doesn't shut the light off in the fridge. Also I found a service manual online. It shows my fridge has a diagnostic mode. We tried to use it but the fridge shuts off before we can get anywhere. I'm thinking I need a board kit,both boards. Anyone use the Norcold Guy online?
Old 09-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My Norcold is also shutting off on propane. Flame is good, igniter is clean and positioning is correct. But after operating for 5 or more minutes I can hear it trying to trying to ignite even though it has a good flame. After several try’s it shuts down the propane and I get the no Lp alarm. I’m guessing it’s the control board. Anyone have this problem before.
Scotialaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:18 AM   #9

Mine doesn`t even try to light after the initial fire up. Yours sounds like maybe air pocket. Fire up the stove burner for 10-15 seconds then try it again.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:02 AM   #10

Just a heads up on my problem. I got a control board off Amazon and it seems all fixed. At least the alarms work now.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #11

Good afternoon. I just finished changing the control board and the eyebrow board as well as the thermistor. Everything seems to work ok at first. I start it on AU and let it go to LP. The propane lights and runs for a couple of hours then shuts off. I get a NO CO code and beeping. This is a good thing as before I got no code or alarm. I did notice once I opened the fridge door that the interior light had fallen out. When I went to replace it I noticed one of the fingers that hold the light in is cracked and doesn't hold the light in anymore. The thermistor gets its power from the light so I hope it might be that. If anyone has any info that would be great. Thanks
Old 09-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #12

Read about the 'Cooling Unit Monitoring Control Operation' on pg 33

Thermistor...pg 29

https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/...68C_022707.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:35 PM   #13

Thanks for the link. I cleaned the venting at the rear of the fridge and made sure the thermistor was sitting flat on the fin. I turned it on with 120v and everything worked great for 36 hours. Then I turned it to LP and it kept it cold for another 36 hours. I thought everything was fixed but I was wrong. I shut everything down for about 8 hours with the doors open. I then tried to cool it on LP only from the beginning. I went in 3 hours later and the fridge was beeping flashing "no co" and the flame was off. The tank for the cooling unit was very warm still.( I don't know how long the flame had been out) I'm totally lost.Any other ideas?

Tags
norcold, problem