Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #1

Norcold 1200 refrigerator

I am camping in Florida and when I arrived at the camp ground I noticed that my refrigerator is not getting ac power and does not cool enough even on LP. Called a repairman out he opened the panel tested voltage and immediately said a cooling unit is out no answer as to why no ac. Just replace the cooling unit at $2,000 or refrigerator at $3,700. Has anyone else had a probl, with the power end?

jv52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jv52 View Post
I am camping in Florida and when I arrived at the camp ground I noticed that my refrigerator is not getting ac power and does not cool enough even on LP. Called a repairman out he opened the panel tested voltage and immediately said a cooling unit is out no answer as to why no ac. Just replace the cooling unit at $2,000 or refrigerator at $3,700. Has anyone else had a probl, with the power end?
I myself would get another opinion.

2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #3

Don't replace the cooling unit with the Norcold unit they are just junk. Some suggest going residential but if you want to stay with the absorption type refrigerator replace your cooling unit with the Amish Cooling Unit. Great reviews from those that have installed it & you get away from the fire prone Norcold cooling unit.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #4

I will for sure get another opinion.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had mine replace 3 weeks ago in Yuma. Replaced with a cooling unit out of Phoniex with 2 year warrantee. Evidently the Nevercold new replacement only has a 90 day warrantee and cost $2k compared to the $1.6k this one cost me. Including labor. Technician told me they have replaced over 22 Nevercolds in the last 6 mo. Got to tell you something.
oralei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #6

What brand of cooling unit did you use?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

If its cooling on gas the cooling unit is not bad! Check circuit breakers, if its got an AC cord that plugs in check the outlet with a lamp or something, if you have power to the frige but doesn't cool on ac its probably the element.
if its cooling but not getting cold enough check the area behind the refrigerator up to the roof and including the roof vent for obstruction they need a good air flow to work properly, also they need to be level when operating while parked.
The heating elements are fairly easy to replace any rv store should be able to sell you one. Hope this helps Mike
Old 03-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
paz

Quote:
Has the recall been done on your Norcold? There have been a couple of recalls, and for the latest one, a high-temp cut out switch was added. The idea is if a high temperature is detected (as might happen in the event of a coolant leak), the switch will cut power before a fire starts.

You can tell if the recall has been done by the presence of a small black box (about 2" x 2") clipped to the coils on the back of the fridge. If the switch has tripped, a red light will be on.

The sensor box is notorious for tripping for no reason and shutting down the fridge. Norcold says a tech has to check out the cooling unit and then replace the box if the cooling unit is OK. However, the box can also be reset with a magnet.

There are lots of posts about Norcold problems on the "RV Systems & Appliances" section including this sticky about the recall. Also try a search on iRV2 using "Norcold" and "magnet."
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #9

The recall for high temp was done right before we pulled out. It was working then but a week out we notice it would not get below 45 - 48 degrees and no ac power just LP. I have checked all breakers, fuses and the power outlet all are fine. It was working fine before I had the recall work done.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
check the fuse

My fridge did the same thing last summer. The problem was the fuse on the power board. Have you checked the 5 Amp fuse on the Power Board. It is a glass fuse on the bottom left of the power board. You have to remove the black cover on the back of fridge. There are 3-4 hex head screws holding the cover on. Unplug both of the 120volt power cords then you will have to remove some of the wires that go through the cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norcold-1200-LRIM-1.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	35353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norcold-Refrigerator-Troubleshooting-Power-Board.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	35354  

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If you are going to replace the cooling unit, do as others have suggested and don't replace with a Norcold. Contact Dave Force at RV Cooling Unit Warehouse and he will get you set up with the best replacement available. You're fridge will work better than ever before, assuming your AC issues are resolved.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
The Amish cooling unit has a five year warranty and is half the cost of a Norcold cooling unit. I just put one in this past summer and I love it!

bonzocfi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #13

Thanks I will check the fuse. You all have been a great help.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #14

jv52,

If the fuse is blown, and when you replace it ithe new fuse blows, you most certainly have a short heating element. Your refrigerator has two 120V heating elements, on ours the wire colors are Black and Yellow. They connect on the control board on the lower left side. check the continuity of these elements. If you find one that is shorted, that is your problem.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote