Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Norcold 1210 IM shim/seal recall

My fridge is forming condensation on the ceiling inside the compartment. I'm told by norcold that I need the shim/seal replaced. They said this is quite common and is a warranty item.

Has anyone had this repair done and if so , how long do the doors have to remain open during the repair as we have a full load of food in it?

Thanks

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Does anyone know when norcold came out with the 1210 model?

Since I've not received any responses to my question, I assume it must be a fairly new model. My MH was built in May of 2007.

Thanks

Cliff

Old 11-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It is a fairly new model - you may have one of the first. It's a top of the line upgrade for the 1201 and called the Ultraline. I'm not sure what the difference is between the 1201 and the 1210 - nothing very obvious that I can see.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
It is a fairly new model - you may have one of the first. It's a top of the line upgrade for the 1201 and called the Ultraline. I'm not sure what the difference is between the 1201 and the 1210 - nothing very obvious that I can see.

Thanks Gary

Old 11-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #5

Cliff

Newmar replaced the original Norcold 1201 with a Norcold 1210 in Sept '08. Under Warranty. I was having cooling issues and the water dispenser would freeze up.

The 1210 cools MUCH better No problens keeping fridge at 36-38'F at a setting of 4-5!!! Even on hot sunny days with the sun on the refer side of the rig.

Beer is Cold and the Ice cream is hard!!!!

Physical size is the same and they advertise 12 Cu feet BUT if you ask the DW she insists it is not as big inside as the 1201.

The fans on the 1210 are mounted lower, closer to the coils, than in the 1201.

You say there is a recall for the seals??? I have heard nothing, Mine does not condensate but I am going to call Norcold.

Rick
Old 11-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude View Post
Cliff

Newmar replaced the original Norcold 1201 with a Norcold 1210 in Sept '08. Under Warranty. I was having cooling issues and the water dispenser would freeze up.

The 1210 cools MUCH better No problens keeping fridge at 36-38'F at a setting of 4-5!!! Even on hot sunny days with the sun on the refer side of the rig.

Beer is Cold and the Ice cream is hard!!!!

Physical size is the same and they advertise 12 Cu feet BUT if you ask the DW she insists it is not as big inside as the 1201.

The fans on the 1210 are mounted lower, closer to the coils, than in the 1201.

You say there is a recall for the seals??? I have heard nothing, Mine does not condensate but I am going to call Norcold.

Rick
Rick

The repair facility that I made appt. with to fix it said it was a recall not Norcold. As stated Norcold told me it was common.

Let us know what Norcold tells you when you speak with them.

Thanks

Cliff

Old 11-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
Rick

The repair facility that I made appt. with to fix it said it was a recall not Norcold. As stated Norcold told me it was common.

Let us know what Norcold tells you when you speak with them.

Thanks

Cliff
Rick

By the way , I had to have both fans replaced recently and they were mounted high up as I recall. Wonder if they moved them in 2008. Are they better off when mounted lower as yours are?

Cliff

Old 11-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #8

My late 2007 Newmar has a Norcold 1210 in it.

Happy to report the same outstanding performance in the same hot/sun-side conditions as Latitude reported. I will also add same outstanding performance at -20F (I do drain the icemaker at these ridiculous temps as I am sure the heat wrap will not suffice) and at sustained 11,000ft altitude using either electric or propane.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
My Meridian has a 1211 (I think). Not impressed with the cooling so far.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
My fridge is forming condensation on the ceiling inside the compartment. I'm told by norcold that I need the shim/seal replaced. They said this is quite common and is a warranty item.

Has anyone had this repair done and if so , how long do the doors have to remain open during the repair as we have a full load of food in it?

Thanks

Cliff
Repair is complete and happy to report the condensation problem is solved. Total time of repair was less than half hour.

Cliff

Old 12-11-2009, 02:11 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Cliff, thank you for the update on your refrigerator!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #12

Cliff:
Can you explain what the shim/seal is and where it can be found.

I have a 1210 and there is a flapper type (about 4 inch) piece of the door gasket that has fallen off. It appears that the flapper type gasket is used on the upper corner of the doors where they meet when closed. Is that what you are calling a shim/seal?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #13

The original post concerning the Norcold 1210 prompted me to call Norcold since my refrigerator was showing some of the same symptoms...condensation in the ceiling of the unit. Additionally, I had a piece of the door gasket fall off. Norcold sent me a repair kit (free of charge and shipping) that included small foam pieces, magnetic strips and a replacement plastic door flapper which is the length of the refrigerator door. I was told that a repair technician was unnecessary and that I could install the replacement pieces easily. Whereas the coach is in storage and I haven't yet installed the pieces, the instructions look fairly simple.

The purpose of this posting is to inform other owners of the Norcold 1210 of the possibility that there may be replacement parts available (free of charge and shipping) to assist in keeping the doors tightly sealed.