RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #1

Norcold 1210ISM - Propane Won't Light

Good morning. The propane function fails on my Norcold. In Feb 2019 I had a mobile tech get it going (he replaced the burner tube assembly) and fridge functioned on propane but we only used it a couple of times immediately following the repairs. In early August I tried to use it. Igniter would spark but no flame. Once it fired up but after one cycle it would not re-ignite and up came the no FL code. This weekend I cleaned out the burner tube (nothing really there), confirmed the igniter was sparking and the igniter was within the specified distance from the burner tube, I removed the orifice and soaked it in alcohol (looked clear before and after), checked the solenoid resistance (I believe it was 82)and cleaned the spade connections at the solenoid but fridge did not run on propane and no FL code kept coming up. I removed the propane line going into the gas valve and I could smell and hear propane exiting the line. Is it possible the gas valve is not working and or the solenoid? I don't know if gas is exiting from the gas valve as I am afraid to remove the exit line to see if gas is passing through the valve when the igniter is going through the sparking sequence. I thought I could hear a clicking sound in the solenoid/valve area when the fridge is turned on to "propane" and just prior to the sparking sequence but not sure if the valve is actually opening to allow gas to pass through it. Since the fridge worked for one cycle in early Aug but not since could solenoid or valve be my issue. All other functions of the fridge work fine. Thanks for your time. Darrell

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #2

I don't know about yours, but I have a Norcold and if the ceramic is cracked around the Sparker/Sensor then it won't work. It'll spark, but won't turn on the gas solenoid.

You can test the solenoid by using an ohmmeter to find which lead is ground, removing the other lead and jumping to 12 volt with a short wire. You should smell or hear gas escaping. Only do it for a short time, and with a setup that guarantees no spark. Might be better to test some other way, actually.

I have a friend who was having the same problem and he cracked the pipe connection just ahead of the solenoid...got interrupted...came back and turned it on to test because he forgot about the open gas pipe, the sparker caused a big fire but he got the gas turned off before the RV burned down. So be careful.

Something you should do, the terminals you cleaned? You should also use a pair of pliers and gently squeeze them closed a bit more. The sparker terminal especially. Those need to be really tight because the sparker is also a very low current sensor when the gas flame is present.

Here's the article I wrote when mine had the NO FL error: Refer - Operation issues

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:45 PM   #3

OK....
*you have spark
*burner is clean
*orifice is clean
*gas valve solenoid at 82 ohms (79-85 is range)

Need to check gas valve solenoid leads continuity
*PI 10 pin connector on lower area of board....unplug it
*Unplug the 2 leads on solenoid
*Check continuity between PI--Pin 10 (far left) and the end lead from Pin 10
*Check continuity between P1--Pin 2 (right side) and the end of lead from Pin 2
No continuity on either lead.......repair the lead

Need to check Voltage at gas valve while spark electrode is firing
(DC Voltage is only on solenoid for 6-8 seconds during the 'trail for ignition' cycle)
Have voltmeter on the 2 leads/terminals then have fridge turned on Manual LP
DC Voltage should be same as DC System

No voltage..circuit board is at fault
Gave voltage.......gas valve is at fault
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #4

Smile Norcold 1210ISM - Propane Won't Light

Thx for the responses, particularly Old Biscuit, as you have given me the info I need to test the board and solenoid. I am away from home for the next week or so but will put the information provided to use soon as I can and respond as to my success. Thx again.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #5

Update: Hi Old-Biscuit - I started to execute the suggestions you gave me Aug 19th. When I checked the voltage on the gas valve I got a reading of 12. Sparking worked as usual but no gas ignition (no gas smell). Can I assume that my solenoid valve is not functioning?

I didn't test the leads from the board yet as I thought I would deal with the solenoid question first. Thx.

Darrell
Old 08-29-2019, 12:01 PM   #6

Got 12V DC at gas valve solenoid while spark electrode was firing...

Circuit board is sending Voltage to gas valve so circuit board is good, leads from circuit board to gas valve are good.......

No Flame lighting off when spark electrode is firing and voltage is at gas valve then either the ground side of solenoid is bad or gas valve has failed

When you tested for Voltage at solenoid did you test for voltage between the 2 terminals

OR positive terminal to ground

Terminal to terminal verifies DC thru the solenoid
Terminal to ground only proves DC at solenoid but not thru the solenoid

One other test.........
BBQ lighter held at burner slots
Turn fridge on GAS operation
Spark Electrode firing/Voltage on gas valve..........
Does BBQ Lighter ignite agas...got flame?

Spark Electrode GAP.....too close no ignition, too far no ignition (1/8" - 3/16") centered over slot

IF you can light flame uisng BBQ lighter......not circuit board, not gas valve---spark electrode adjustment
IF no flame........then back to gas valve not opening
Old 09-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #7

Thx for the latest suggestion Old Biscuit - I am out of town again but will use your advice next week and report back.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell-Ruth View Post
Thx for the latest suggestion Old Biscuit - I am out of town again but will use your advice next week and report back.

Thanks for updating.......

Will be looking for your post next week.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #9

Update - did the propane lighter test. Turned fridge to propane. Igniter sparked but no flame when I used the propane BBQ lighter. Once again no smell of gas either.
Checked continuity on the gas valve/solenoid leads - .84.
I had voltage to the solenoid - 12 v when using battery power to the fridge.

Comments - is gas valve/solenoid shot?
Old 09-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #10

Have you cleaned the orifice?
Gas valve solenoid ohms correctly and you have 12V DC at solenoid (was that AT or THRU solenoid???)

With BBQ Lighter you should have gotten some flame IF gas is flowing.
Remember the LP SYSTEM is only 0.4 psi (11"WC) so it doesn't take much to stop it/interfer with air/fuel mixture

You stated in an earlier post burner & ORIFICE were clean
That leaves the gas valve NOT opening\ (the 'manual' shutoff on gas valve IS open---correct? screw slot horizontal --NOT vertical)
Old 09-05-2019, 10:34 PM   #11

Thanks for the response. Yes cleaned orifice. 12 volt at solenoid and continuity thru it. Manual gas valve is open and I turned the slot head several times to the horizontal position to ensure it was not gummed up. So do you think its the valve then? If so I will order a replacement.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell-Ruth View Post
Thanks for the response. Yes cleaned orifice. 12 volt at solenoid and continuity thru it. Manual gas valve is open and I turned the slot head several times to the horizontal position to ensure it was not gummed up. So do you think its the valve then? If so I will order a replacement.

12V at solenoid......
IS that THRU the solenoid?
Voltmeter probes on each terminal when calling for GAS?

IF 12v thru the solenoid and can NOT get a flame to light off using a BBQ Lighter THEN gas is NOT flowing

Tags
light, norcold, propane