RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #1

Norcold 4 Door Refrigerator Door Alarm Won't Shut Off

I need to leave in the morning, so I don't have time to take this anywhere. I've tried everything I can, but I can't get the door alarm to shut off.

I don't know which door it thinks is open. I've checked the levers that let you keep the doors open a crack for storage.

What could be causing this? Is there a way to temporarily disable or fool the alarm?

Thanks!

69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Please let me know when/if you figure out how to disable. We have the same problem, although you can keep pushing on the door(s) and get it to stop until you have to open it again. I cannot hear that frequency, but Ms Carol can and it drives her a little bonkers sometimes.

doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #3

I somehow got it to stop. I just kept pushing the doors and pressed the power button. The first time, pressing the power button just reset the timer. Then it started beeping again.

This time, the beeper stayed off (yes, the refrigerator is on, and already down below 40 degrees).
Old 05-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Mine would go off every time, 30 seconds after you closed any of the doors. Saw a thread on the forum and used that fix and it has worked fine eversince! Bought two thin plastic washers and put one on each bottom hinge of the refer doors. Evidently there is a kit available from Norcold, but most just did it themselves. It has been a long standing problem and the fix is easy. I removed the top hinges, removed the doors, put the washers on the pins and reinstalled the doors. On some units you may have to do it by taking off the bottom hinges, installing the washers on the pins and reinstall the hinges. This depends on which is easier to get at. Hope this helps!
Old 05-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #5

Thanks for the info on the shims. I'll do that when I'm done with this trip, unless it starts happening again and I can't get it to stop.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A quick fix until you can get the washers. Look at the striker that the top of the door hits when it is closed. Find the point on the door that the striker hits. Take a piece of napkin, paper towel, tissue, paper and fold it a little bigger than the striker switch, and about 1/4 inch thick at most. Scotch tape it to the point on the door that meets the striker switch. Your problem should be solved.

The alarm you are hearing is the "light is on," alarm, and it drove my wife crazy for ever until I called Winnebago and the technician gave me that work around until I could get to the dealer (under warranty). It is a Norcold. Other than annoying (I'm deaf - almost) it does no harm to the refrigerator. Everything works and everything will stay cold, it is just that the light is on.

It's the age old question. When you close the refrigerator door is the light really out?

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:24 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The easiest fix for this is to take a thin white piece of plastic, trim it to the shape of the switch actuator and super glue the plastic piece to the actuator. As long as the doors are properly sealing, this is a permanent, easy fix, I do in less than 5 minutes for both doors.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #8

It just started happening again. I noticed that my light does not come on at all.

I taped the strikers closed, and it still sets off the alarm.

Help!! We need to be able to sleep tonight, and the out-laws are sleeping on the sofa.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #9

OK, if I turn it off and back on, the light does come on, when the alarm goes off, then it shuts the light off.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
You might try the simple shim fix as a stop gap. Buy a couple of small plastic washers, cut a "U" shape completely through on one side about 3/8" wide, lift up the bottom of the doors and slide the washer in against and around the pin, between the hinge and the door bottom. Some have tried the quick fix and it seemed to work. Saves the time and effort of removing the doors.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I shimmed mine a year ago and it's been fine.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:04 AM   #12

The problem is, even if I completely tape the strikers closed, the alarm goes off. I think the problem is that one or both of the strikers will not complete the circuit, even when pushed closed as far as possible.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:52 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine started doing that about a year ago. At the Winnie GNR the Norcold rep put a plastic washer in the bottom door hinge, problem solved. I have friends who did the temp fix mentioned by Wayne and has left it with that.

Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote