Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Norcold 7.5 CF to apartment sized fridge

Many have changed out their Norcold 1200 series for residential refrigerator. I have a Norcold N842F (7.5 cf) which has given us good service over the last 11 years. If major service on the fridge or replacement is required I am investigating replacement with a apartment sized 10.7 cubic foot which will fit into the 24" wide space of the original Norcold. The DW will not give up her slide out pantry so a larger replacement is out of the question.Has anyone replaced the original 7.5 cf with a apartment sized fridge? What brand? Modified or pure sine wave inverter? Power usage? Any other pluse or minus issues? How long in use? All feedback is appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to ramblerman
I am also interested in the replies you receive. Same, DW will not give up the pantry!

Old 12-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I replaced our gas fridge in our last MH with a residential one that I bought at Lowes. Here is the link: Whirlpool 9.6 cu. ft. Fridge

And another: Frigidaire 9.9 cu ft Top-Freezer Refrigerator (Silver Mist)

They come in black, silver and white. The #1 advantage is more storage capacity, the freezer is much larger. They cost about a third as much as an RV fridge and cool much better. I used a magnum 2000 modified sine inverter with no problems.

In our current MH I'm waiting for the Dometic fridge to die so I can put another residential fridge in its place.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
The Whirlpool is the best replacement for the single door rv refrigerator. It is light weight, quiet, and you get tons more storage. As RedWing stated, I have a Dometic in my coach and when that gives up the ghost- a Whirlpool is going in its place.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We just removed our old 7.5 cu.ft Norcold 683 fridge, replacing it with a 9.2cu ft Danby fridge. The Danby is a bottom freezer fridge, and is a direct size replacement for the old Norcold. I almost purchased a GE 12.1 cu ft fridge. We would have really enjoyed the HUGE increase in storage. But, the GE fridge was 3" deeper, and our fridge door opens into the hallway, so the GE fridge just wouldn't work for us.

We put our coach into winter storage shortly after the fridge conversion, so I don't have any long term data. I know this much. When I first started the empty fridge, the draw was .96amps for 15 minutes, then absolutely no draw for another two hours. The total amp draw for the 8 hour period was 1.54 amps, so the fridge cycled only marginally in that time. Of course these figures will be totally different when we have all our goodies packed into the fridge.

I also doubled our house batteries. Now I am doubting that I needed to do that. Oh well.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the information. As I look at the specifications for the units and it states that it has a analog temperature control or it doesn't have a electronic temperature control. Does this mean that I can use my Xantrex 2000 modified sine wave inverter? I run a small freezer with it and have had no problems at all.Again thanks for your imput.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #7

Do a Google search for Vitrofrigo DP2600i. It's an 8 Cu.ft. 12 volt DC compressor fridge that's probably a drop-in replacement for yours. It only draws about 4.3 amps at 12 volts and runs about 50% of the time. AND no inverter required! Also has RV appropriate door latches. Available at some marine suppliers. NovaKool makes similar ones.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
jspande: Thanks for the comeback. For my application the Virto is not cost effective as it is over $2000.00. I already have a inverter,AGM battery bank large enough and 300 watts of solar. I can replace my Norcold with a residential for approx. $500 and gain additional storage (2.5-4.5 cubic feet).Thanks again.

Tags
fridge, norcold