Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #1

Norcold 982 gas valve

I have two problems. My main gas valve at the tank apparently leaks when closed, leaking to the rest of the system. Anyone know a source for a replacement. Just a manual valve.

Second problem and more troubling is that my Norcold gas valve must be leaking or malfunctioning. I have had the coach in storage for 4 months with fridge off. Yesterday I turned on the fridge ( auto ) to cool it down for our weekend trip. The coach is plugged in and the fridge selected AC.. This morning I walked in and smelled some gas. The main valve at tank is closed so it should be leaking right? The only thing that changed was turning on the fridge. I gather I have a leak at main valve. But not sure why fridge would only leak gas after it went on AC. Is it just the valve or the control board?
This unit cools well on both propane and AC. And is definitely smaller than any residential fridge so I'm not looking to go that route at this point.

PS coach is 1997 Allegro Bus
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #2

On the refr, it could be a bad valve most likely. But could be bad board or other things. It's all guessing right now until you verify where the leak is coming from in the first place.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #3

With main gas valve turned on, soap test showed no leaks from any fittings. This is making me think board problem as it only started when I turned fridge on. Refer runs fine on gas.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #4

What about any leaks from out the orifices of the appliances? That's where you'd tell if the gas valve is bad.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
What about any leaks from out the orifices of the appliances? That's where you'd tell if the gas valve is bad.
I guess so. I felt that since the gas valve is probably a Normally closed valve that if it was bad I would have detected propane before I turned on the fridge.
I will check the orifices with the fridge off and in electric mode.

Tags
gas, norcold