Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2007, 05:40 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
"NORCOLD & DOMETIC RECALLS" & Service Manuals Norcold & Dometic

IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION START A NEW THREAD will appear in general form below.

Norcolds newer refrigerators since 2013, the two door units and the new 121x four door unit, the changes that have been made to all and no recalls as yet, hopefully for good.

YEAR 2014 YET ANOTHER NORCOLD RECALL ITS NEVER ENDING for people with older coach's

A post or open letter to the Norcold & Dometic Companies -----NEW 2012-2013 COACH'S

"HOW TO RESET THE "RED LED" 0N NORCOLD RECALL BOX SAVE SOME MONEY"=== WARNING--- A word to the wise before resetting "maybe another reason."

INSTEAD OF THE NORCOLD RED LED BLACK BOX, THIS DEVISE MAY WORK BETTER FOR YOU WITH ITS OWN RESET.

Norcold Class Action Lawsuit

NORCOLD RECALLS

NORCOLD RECALL INCREASED

MORE INFORMATION ON INCREASED RECALL-&--WHAT THEY SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR WHEN THEY DO YOUR RECALL.

NORCOLD FIRE INVESTIGATION REPORT----Checking your Norcold

MORE ON FIRES

RECALLS FOR EVERYTHING you name it. Plus additional NHTSA RECALLS BY Wayne M

REGISTER ON THIS LINK FOR NORCOLD

Result of poor cooling while driving

Newmar TSB for DOMETIC cooling unit RECALL all coach MFG's

BETTER DOMETIC COOLING ---Courtesy of Roger

Norcold reset and cooling fan problems information

"HOW ARE NORCOLD RECALLS WORKING OUT"--READ THIS INFORMATION

Amish REPLACEMENT COOLING UNITS----Built differently for no cracks in heat tube.
Please note for Amish units

THREE NORCOLD CONVERSIONS

Service Manuals Norcold & Dometic -----N841

"ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE TO "BOX COOLING TEMPERTURES" FOR DOMETIC & NORCOLD."

Norcold 838EG2
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #2

Thankyou VERY much for posting this. I read it, and my Norcold fell into the years recalled. So today I checked my Model, and serial number and it was one of the units recalled! I called Norcold and it had not yet been serviced so I set up to get my recall taken care of with one of my local RV dealers. I use my fridge on propane almost exlusively so I'm glad I found out about this on here rather than when my TT burned to the ground. I would have never though there'd be any open recalls on my 20 year old camper. Thanks again!

Old 08-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #3

Finally got my fridge recal done today. It ended up being kinda a PITA to get done First the dealer I went to wrote the serial number down wrong. It was supposed to take 5-7 business days for the part to arrive, so when they hadn't called in a week and a half I called to see if the part had come in yet. They said no my fridge wasn't in the recal! Well I had called Norcold and confirmed it was a recalled unit before I even went to the dealer, so I told them it was in the recal and that I had already called Norcold. So I gave them the numbers off my fridge again and they called Norcold, and it was recalled. So then I had to wait almost another week and a half for the part to arrive. Again they didn't call me, I had to go in to see if the part was there. It was, so I took my trailer in yesterday to get the recal done. They said it would possibly be done that night but definately by this morning. Come 3pm today once again I had to call them, I asked if my trailer was done. They said they just started working on it, and it'd be done in about an hour and a half. Well it was supposed to be an hour and a half job, and usually any good mechanic can beat the book time, so I think they didn't start working on it til I called them! Anyway, they do finally call me when it was done at 5pm. I go in to pick it up, it appears to be working correctly so I go in to sign the paper work. On my way in I hear a sarcastic off coment one of the mechanics made to the service manager calling my trailer the "Special One" which just ticked me off more! I'm sure they're used to seing all brand new units, but just because I brought in an old trailer they don't have to treat me like a third class citizen!

Aside from that the fridge works fine, just the same as it did before.

The dealer I used was General RV. I think I'll call the manager tomorow. I've always had good service from their parts department, but they didn't do very well in the service department.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #4

According to this thread on Escapees: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=77176
, Norcold has expanded their recall to include more models and DOM.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 07-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Norcold expanded recall on 1200 refridgerators

Thats correct Ray, just got my notice today. Register on this link and get $50 of gas to get you there. Click on Customer Support and get nearest Dealer or Service Center near you.
I picked a independent Service Center to avoid the hassle with Dealers problems.

My recall is under the ,May 2009,# 09E-027 with serial number range 1273701 to 1536607 for my 1200LRIM.
Check the number on boiler tank, on cooling unit outside, after you open vent for refrigerator.

When you enter ser# and CU# they just want the numbers no letters, when you submit the web site will tell you are on recall and they will find dealer near to you.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This picture will show what is involved with the # 09E-027 extended recall. Look to the right bottom of pic you will see a shiny collar around bottom of heat stack with a thermistor and two red wires going to control board of refrigerator.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:55 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the recall done on my 1200 Norcold yesterday it took the tech 35 minuets. All done from the outside.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Heads up on Norcold's recall. My cooling unit developed a leak and then a few weeks later the second recall was issued to where mine was now covered. Norcold had no quams at replacing the entire cooling unit covered by this recall. I am glad I drug my feet to get it replaced! Thank you Thetford/Norcold!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
Old 10-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club

Is the thermistor sacrificial, i.e. does it self distruct and then disable the refrigerator until you can get to a service center or does it reset after returning to a regular temp range?
Old 11-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Terry,The heat thermistor will open off 12v from control board and shut down refrigerator.
If this happens get fridge checked out at dealer before further operation.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #11

I have an '06 Vectra 40FD that is affected by the recall. Has anyone with a similar model Winnie had the repair done? One of our club members had to have their refrigerator removed ('09 Adventure 38') in order to install the retrofit. I called our dealer and got an answer "it depends on the hole behind the stack". Looking at the posted pic of the retrofit, mine looks almost identical to that unit. We would have to make a 200 mile round trip to the dealer for the fix, but I'm trying to get a mobile repair guy (who is an authorized Norcold tech) to come out to do the work. He is attempting to contact Norcold to see if they will cover his travel (my neighbor next door also needs his done), but the last I talked to him, he had been on hold for an hour, waiting for an answer. I'm betting he won't be thrilled to find he has to pull the fridge out...... So I'm checking tosee if other similar MH models need to go to this extreme.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pushrod if the recall only was required for metal collar at bottom of your stack they may have been able to do job without removing fridge.
The new recall requires the fix to be higher up the heat stack so fridge needs to be removed.
With the recalls also of newer units on 2009-2011 refrigerators I question what is wrong with the cooling units of newer coach's that now also requires them to be included on new recall.
Is there something wrong with cooling units supplied to Norcold????
I have a 03 coach and fridge has worked flawlessly for 7 years and has first recall.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
...what is wrong with the cooling units of newer coach's that now also requires them to be included on new recall.
Is there something wrong with cooling units supplied to Norcold????
You know, Roger, I wondered this from the first time I read about the recalls. Why SO many possibly defective cooling units could be produced for such a long period of time? I mean, a year or 2 or even 3 is possible....but 13+ years worth???

Lori-
Old 11-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The newest recall is very different from what is posted on this thread. Look at the Norcold web site. The newest places a "high temperature sensor" near the top of the stack. Somewhere around 700 degrees it will shut the new installed module off and the refrigerator will stop operating. It has been stated that if this happens a new coil will have to be installed.

I'm thinking that Norcold is on a safety kick to avoid future problems and is installing this on a lot of the newer units as an after manufacture policy.

Mine is in the shop as I write.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Closed Thread

Tags
dometic, norcold, recall, service