Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #1

Norcold Freezer Works but not Fridge!

Hi All!

Norcold refrigerator and freezer works on AC. Freezer works great on propane but will not cool the refrigerator. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Sincerely, Michelle
(A stay at home mom, desperately needing a memorial day weekend mini break with a working refrigerator!)
michelle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello Michelle and welcome to irv2!

Are you allowing 12-24 hours to check the fridge temp?

If fridge/freezer works on electric and freezer works on propane, the fridge should also be working. It works differently then a residential fridge, so must be kept closed at least 12 hours before checking temp.

Hope this helps, have fun and good luck.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #3

Hi John,

Thank you so much for responding. I definitely have not waited that long..lol. I will try that! The refrigerator cools really fast on AC, which made me think it should cool just as quickly on propane. I'm guessing this is wrong?

Thanks,
Michelle
(Switching back to propane as we speak..or...type...)
michelle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are already on electric and fridge is cold it should stay cold on propane. Give it a few hours to check the temp and see. The more often the fridge door is open, the faster the cold air gets out and the longer it will take to cool down again.

Residential fridge has forced cold air from compressor, your fridge just has radiant cooling from the fins in the back of the unit.

Are you using any type of fan to keep the fridge air circulating?

Many people use a fan like this to help keep the fridge air circulating.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
If your talking about the 1200 type fridge the end posts in this thread will help to figure what might be going on with the fridge cooling in box portion of it.
The vent area behind fridge needs to be clear so the heat can escape from behind the fridge and fans working.
There are threads on how people have added fans to air the other fans cool behind your fridge.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hello Michelle
Mine is doing the same thing cools great on ac but when i switch it to gas the freezer is 5 and the frig is 60. Soon as i switch to gas the frig temp rises. Does the frig need to set on its top for 24 hours???
Sunkist5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Hello Michelle and welcome to irv2!

Are you allowing 12-24 hours to check the fridge temp?

If fridge/freezer works on electric and freezer works on propane, the fridge should also be working. It works differently then a residential fridge, so must be kept closed at least 12 hours before checking temp.

Hope this helps, have fun and good luck.

I have the Norcold 683 3-way and mine is cold in 2 hrs. I start it on AC and switch to 12volt when I travel.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Jimbo,
Yea when i start it on ac it cools good but soon as i switch to gas the frig goes up ans the frig temps rise fast
Old 06-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I just went thru the same thing. even though the flame may look blue it may not be getting hot enough. just blowing it out was not enough I had to take the burner out and soak it in denatured alchohol and wire brush the carbon out of the slots. if you can not hear it roar when you light it you better clean it.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,
Seems Hot enough nice blue flame but i will clean it tomorrow the other M/H did that like once ayear but it wouldnt light just a quick clean and bam it worked fine the slots look fine from what i can see and a nice big flame btu T THIS POINT I WILL TRY ANYTHING THANKS
Old 06-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mike it looks like the pipe from the cooling unit is nice and hot was up on top and real good heat coming from the vent with the vent cap off. On ac the fans came on but i dont know if they came on with gas
Old 06-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
[QUOTE=Wanabee FTer

Are you using any type of fan to keep the fridge air circulating?

Many people use a: DOMETIC-NORCOLD-REFRIGERATOR-FAN-FOR-RV-12-VOLT- to help keep the fridge air circulating.[/QUOTE]

Checked your link, bought the fan! Should help. Thanks, Wannabe
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
No fans inside but the 2 on the outside while on ac cycle but have not head then on the gas side
Old 06-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist5 View Post
No fans inside but the 2 on the outside while on ac cycle but have not head then on the gas side
that would tell me the flame is not getting hot enough and needs cleaned and or adjusted.

Tags
norcold, fridge