Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #1

Norcold Fridge

I have a 2005 Fleetwod Expedition which has the Norcold 1200. When I am plugged into a 20 amp GFI outlet and turn the fridge to the AC mode the GFI trips. Everything else in the coach seems to work fine on the same outlet. On a non-GFI outlet the Fridge works fine. At this point I am leaning towards a problem with the AC heating elements. Has anyone else experienced similiar problems? If in fact the elements are bad how difficult are they to replace? Access to the tubes does not appear to be a problem, however I am concerned about the rust on the tubes and access to the electrical connections.
expedition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Your information does indicate a problem likley element related. They are not hard to replace, they are generally a bit contorted in shape, all seem to be different, so if you elect to replace it, and if you go to the trouble to take it out, replace it. You will need to take it with you to be sure to get an exact replacement, the shape does matter. Work slow, it will create a lot less problems.
Also consider this a good time to chaneg over to a residential style fridge. Really.
They work extremely well, are a LOT less expensive to buy, you can likley find a model that will nearly be an exact size replacement, perhaps with a small bit of trimming.
And, you will get the added benefit of not worrying about the fire issue, nd, yes, it is a real issue.
Outside chance the GFI could be weak also, they do get very sensitive over time, and connections in the whole circuit on the GFI should be checked, just to be sure..
Weigh your options....
have fun!..
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

Not really ready to change to a residential fridge due to the amount of dry camping I currently do, however I fully understand what your saying. As far as the GFI being weak this particular one was just installed today.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #4

I could not use a GFI at all on my 2003 5th wheel at a RV resort; the converter popped it every time I plugged it in. I changed over to a standard 30A RV outlet and had no problems. I would suggest you do not use GFI outlet; they are too sensitive for the main feed for RV's. Their main purpose is in bathrooms to prevent shock if an electric appliance such as hair dryers fell into the bath. IMHO, too many think it is for general electrical use which is not the case.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #5

Do NOT slip the GFI as it is doing its job!

Now what to do next?

Read a current thread regarding Norcold recall, I believe someone described the cause as being the heating element failing, then burning a hole into the cooling unit.
What to do...locate the wires for the heating unit, carefully remove only one, make sure it is unplugged first, place the wire where it is not touching anything then plug in and test.

If gfi pops then remove other wire and retest.

If it does not pop reconnect and disconnect other one and retest

I suspect heating element shorted inside and started to fail, it is leaking to the cooling unit.

Check it and get it fixed, only heating element now, fire later!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would plug in to a regular outlet for several days and be sure it is working properly. If so, I would replace the GFI with a regular outlet.
Heber Eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #7

I just pulled my working, updated Norcold 1200 and went residential. Worked fine last time I used it. Does anyone know a place/ RV dealer that buys these if the work?
chastainat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastainat View Post
I just pulled my working, updated Norcold 1200 and went residential. Worked fine last time I used it. Does anyone know a place/ RV dealer that buys these if the work?
I may be interested if we could figure out how to get it to Dallas?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had the same problem, one of your elements has a short to ground after it heats up which will trip the GFI, you can use a regular 120 outlet until you get new elements to keep fridge cold or place in gas mode.
They maybe rusted into element holder be careful when trying to get out of holder that holder was one of the weak spots because of bad welds to heat pipe.
I used some PB Blaster to help free it up from holder.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Sold mine locally on Craigslist.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #11

Will penetrating oil cause any problems after the fact? Another thought I had was the possibility of perhaps the ice maker causing my problem?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can pull the plug for ice maker to prove that pretty sure its one of the elements my surge protector was tripping also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Understand your concern with boondocking, and, it can be a validpoint.
Two things come to mind, First and foremost the thoughts that are offered on by-passing the GFI. With all due respect to the "experiences" of others, bypassing is the first major ingrediant for a disaster.
If the heating element has developed an internal fault, your GFI is telling you to pay attention, there is a life threatening situation going on.
IF the element fully developes into a true "short", it will weld, with an arc, like arc welder, itself to the nearest grounded metal structure. Now, since hydrogen is the main component in absorption cooling, think...do want an arc welder working on the mechanism? Does Hindenberg sound familiar?
Second, the GFI is keeping the faulty element from energizing ALL of your metal, from vehicle frame, to hand holds, to bay doors. If you have a major failure, without that protection, it is possible to kill a person who would touch any metal on, in or under the coach while they are standing on electrical ground...not good.
National electrical code mandates the GFI be in that circuit to establish protection. Contrary to some beliefs, it is NOT there to bring you grief!
Do you have a gen set on your bus?
If you do, and you run it most likley every day while you are out, you will more than be able to keep the batts charged.
Weigh your options, most of all..be safe with the element...
and
have fun!
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
A junkyard is the only good place for those units to end up at. That's where mine lives. That way it won't cause harm to anyone else.

Just my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, norcold