Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Norcold fridge not cooling on gas.. Tried all fixes that I can find... Help

Have a norcold N843IM fridge, 1500 series(I think). Works GREAT on electric, not so good on gas. Has a good flame complete blue and is going up into the flue. These are the things I have done already.. Put a new propane regulator, cleaned burner orifice (extremely well), took out fridge to clean flue, clean as it can be. However it doesn't have a flue baffle at all...? Not sure if this is a big deal or not?? It will get as cold as it can be on electric. On gas the freezer is real cold but fridge cooling fins are barely cool. I have been told by a few people to turn it upside down for 24-48 hours? This is supposed to eliminate any crystallization of the ammonia?? Not sure if this is safe or even if it might potentially work?? Any suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks

Pinecrestfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 10:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Inverting the fridge sometimes works on absorption refrigerators but that is not the problem you have or it wouldn't work on electricity. The only thing that is different is the heat source. Look at a different fix.

How long has this been doing this? I assume you've used it before on propane and it worked at one time. Are you giving it enough time to cool down 24 - 36 hours? Is your thermostat turned up all the way? Put a fan in the outside vent to get some air flow up behind the fridge.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:50 AM   #3

Even though you have a nice flame it may not be putting out enough heat. You should be able to hear gas and air flow threw burner. Not as loud as a water heater. But should hear it. Have you checked output pressure from propane tank regulator.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinstar 1114 View Post
Inverting the fridge sometimes works on absorption refrigerators but that is not the problem you have or it wouldn't work on electricity. The only thing that is different is the heat source. Look at a different fix.

How long has this been doing this? I assume you've used it before on propane and it worked at one time. Are you giving it enough time to cool down 24 - 36 hours? Is your thermostat turned up all the way? Put a fan in the outside vent to get some air flow up behind the fridge.
I have used t on propane before. It has never done great on it, however it's worse than it used to be. I have only had the coach since February. Used propane couple days of his spring, noticed it not cooling well then. I used generator at night so it cooled off using electric then.

I have given up to 48 hours to cool, no difference. T stat on coolest setting. Will try fan. WOULD THE FACT THAT THERE IS NO BAFFLE IN THE FLUE, make it do this?
Old 08-15-2016, 05:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Even though you have a nice flame it may not be putting out enough heat. You should be able to hear gas and air flow threw burner. Not as loud as a water heater. But should hear it. Have you checked output pressure from propane tank regulator.
Had a Mobil service guy check pressure. Said it was low. Recommend I put on a new regulator. Put one one. Better flame but still same problem. Flame is solid blue and sounds almost like the water heater. Really think the flame isn't the issue. WOULD NO BAFFLE IN THE FLUE, cause this issue?
Old 08-16-2016, 06:49 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Installed a baffle.... Problem solved
Old 08-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecrestfar View Post
Installed a baffle.... Problem solved
What is this baffle you are talking about?
Old 08-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Not the OP but I thought I'd answer since nobody has.

I'm pretty sure the baffle he installed is a piece of wood, attached crossways, at the top of the outside opening vent. It causes the air flow to go up through the coils instead of it just drifting around in the area behind the fridge. The coils are supposed to be close to the back wall of the fridge to force the air through them. Most coach builders don't do that and just install the fridge with a 3 or 4 inch gap behind them.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:14 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
What is this baffle you are talking about?
Actually, it's a flat piece of metal, that is spiral, attached to a wire. It goes down into the flue, not 100% sure of what it really does. Only reason I found out was that I was going to clean the flue and discovered it missing. The flue was clean. I assume someone took it out to clean it previously, and didn't put it back?
Old 05-24-2018, 05:23 PM   #10

The spiral metal baffle is there to catch the heat from the propane burner and distribute it sideways to heat the ammonia. Without it the heat just rises and escapes out the top of the flu.
bwilless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #11

Norcold 1200lrim not cooling

I have a Norcold 1200 LRIM in a recently purchased motor home that does not cool on LP but does on electricity. I recently took it to Camping World to see if they could figure it out. Come to find out my refrigerator had a recall that needed to be installed that is to detect a fire in the refrigerator compartment and shut off the propane to prevent burning the motor home. They adjusted the LP regulator, cleaned the burner, and checked it all out. All of this to find out in the long run that the unit still does not cool on propane.

Mention has been made of a steel baffle, and another said wooden baffle to cause the heat from the flame to go out against the walls of the unit. Can anyone tell me where I can find one or what they look like so that I could have one made? Any help is appreciated. I cannot find one online or a parts list that shows one.
Thank you,
Maurice
missourimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #12

The baffle is on the backside of the fridge (have to pull mine out to access not sure if you're is the same) there is about and inch wide tune sticking up out of the flue. Inside that tube is the baffle. It helps distribute the heat so it doesn't just go uo the stack
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:15 AM   #13

The tricky thing is that the baffle is not shown on the assembly diagram. But if you look at the parts list on that same page it will be listed with a comment *not shown. I think mine was ~$10. I also had to pull the fridge out of the hole to get the new baffle in. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

bwilless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, fridge, gas, norcold