Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #1

my 94 hornet has norcold fridge, that runs great on electric but does nor appear to be cooling when running on LP. It worked great last year.

I have cleaned burner and have a great blue flame, but doesn't appear to be getting cold. The freezer acts llike it is trying to cool, but never actually freezes anything. Help I am stumped.
94hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #2

my 94 hornet has norcold fridge, that runs great on electric but does nor appear to be cooling when running on LP. It worked great last year.

I have cleaned burner and have a great blue flame, but doesn't appear to be getting cold. The freezer acts llike it is trying to cool, but never actually freezes anything. Help I am stumped.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #3

Have you tryed cleaning the flue and flue baffle.
heavyequiptmentmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Once the flue and baffle are cleaned; you need to pass the heat through the flue to the boiler or no perculation will occur, and you still have a problem, check the operating LP gas pressure. The refrigerator will be criticle on the right BTU of heat needed to perform. The gas pressure should be 11" water colum under load; be sure to turn on a couple stove top burners when checking. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:16 AM   #5

I started to try and clean the flu and baffle, but can't fiugure out how to get in there. Do i really have to pull the whole fridge out? When i got on the roof i pulled the cap off the vent only to find a screen that would require pulling that whole assembly off. Then i still don't think i could get to the flu since the coils etc are in the way and the flu is quite a ways down.

I tried to pull the 'cover' off the flu but don't seem to be able to get all the clips undone. Is there a trick to it?

If i need to check the pressure, is it better to take it to someone or can i get ahold of a guage without breaking the bank?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If your fridge works OK on electric, then your fridge flue is venting heat properly. It uses the same mechanism to vent heat whether it is in LP or electric mode.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #7

So with that being the case, I guess the only other thing could be the pressure. Still, do I need to take it in (hopefully not), can I get a guage for a reasonable price and check the pressure myself?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In the center of your flue your will see what looks like a pipe, take a long nail or rod and tap lightly with a hammer. Make sure you cover the gas ports on gas burner with a paper towel or cloth. Make sure your gas valve on burner is open all the way. Being a 94 expect alot of rust to fall vacume it out.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The flue in which I was refering is the chimney flue for the burner. It has a baffle to push the heat outward so that it can transfer into the boiler section and make the refrigerant flow. You may have to pull the refrigerator out enough to remove the baffle; it hangs on a steel rod off the top of the flue, pull it out the top and use a long handle brush (shot gun cleaning brush type) to remove rust and soot from the wall of the flue. This rust and soot interfers with the proper heat transfer.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:31 AM   #10

Thanks for all the info so far. I am going to get to the flu, hopefully tonight or tommorrow night. Have been working on some boat issues. When it rains it pours. Will post results after flu cleaning.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #11

OK, Awesome news. Cleaned flue, checked on it yesterday, after running about 15hrs on approx number 4 setting, outside temp was 90, not sure what temp in camper was, sure it was up there and fridge was at approx 32. You guys are awesome thanks for all the help. I am writing below how i did it for anyone who might read this later.

Removed 8 screws from trim on front of fridge. 3 screws that were through back plate (access from outside). Disconnected gas line. Unplugged 12v power connectors. Unplugged 120v power cord from receptacle.

Slid fridge out into camper just enough to be able to lean it forward. Keep in mind the rest i did it pretty quick and at a steady pace as not to let the ammonia mix etc drain/run to the wrong places. Not sure if that would matter but was basing it the theory of regular fridge in home, better safe than sorry.

Removed clip from top of flue by pulling pretty much straight up, had to work it back and forth a little. Unclipped the baffle hanger from top edge of flue. Pulled baffle out, which was covered with soote and rust from the years. Cleaned it in the sink, making sure it was rinsed and dried well and only used mild dish soap and hand to clean it. I didn't want to scratch it, no telling what that may do.

Since I did not have a chimmney brush. Used a small diameter brass expandable curtain rod. wrapped blue disposable shop towel around the end, securing it with duck tape. Slowly pusehd rod into flue. It almost seem like we had to much towel on, but then junk started fallilng out the bottom of the flue. After a number of passes, we could turn the end of the rod to extend it and reach the opposite end of the flue. Then replaced towel and completly covered it with duck tape, to give a little abbrasiveness but not enough to scar anything. Few passes with that. Then removed towel and tape and,using duck tape again, secured a new toothbrush to rod. Few minutes of scrubbing the entire inside of flue.

Replaced baffle, vaccumed entire enclosure where fridge normally sits(bugs everywhere, not alive though), since we won't get back in there for awhile. Slid fridge back in place,replaced screws, recleaned burner and orifice (just to be safe). Vaccumed out all areas on back of fridge(especially the little pan under the burner).reconnected all fittings and plugs/connectors. turned gas on and using soapy water solution checked for any leaks around gas fittings. turned fridge on and monitored it for about 30 minutes to make sure everything looked good.

Now just enjoying the fridge working better than it has in awhile. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:04 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Glad to hear that you have cleaned the flue and burner and are now back in business. Good luck and have a great summer.