Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #127

Freightliner Owners Club
Norcold 2nd Recall – Details & Thoughts

A few days ago I received my recall letter courtesy of Winnebago. Fortunately, I had notified them that I had recently purchased one of their ’06 Itasca Meridian RVs. As ours was in a local RV service shop for some minor work at the time, I asked them to check the Model and s/n of the installed Norcold unit. Sure enough, it had not been previously retrofitted and was subject to the recall as indicated by checking the Norcold Model (1201-LRIM) and s/n against the Norcold letter of 7 October 2010. When I asked how long it would take to receive and install the retrofit kit, I was told Norcold had told them that it would be no less than three weeks from order entry. YIKES! So much for our trip to Santa Barbara. In a subsequent conversation with Customer Service at McMahon’s RV in Irvine, CA (where we purchased our RV last October) I was told that they were well aware of both Norcold recalls. Hmmmm, I wonder why I wasn’t made aware of the recall at the time I purchased it. Considering the risk to life and property in the event of a failure, it seems to me that both the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC ) should be requiring all RV Sales firms to certify in writing as a condition of sale that the RV being sold has been inspected and, if the recall notice is applicable, has been retrofitted in accordance with requirements of the recall notice. This is no different from the disclosures required in selling a home.

Opinions anyone?

For further thoughts on the subject, see my blog.
Wayne (KQ6WG), Bonnie & Sofie (Rottweiler) - '06 Itasca Meridian 36G -Cummins 300HP/Allison 2000 SBW - Onan 7.5KW - '08 Honda CRV (toad) - M&G proportional brake system Last RV - Hans Christian 38T Cutter Rigged Sailboat - Homebase - Fullerton, CA
wddogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #128

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wddogger View Post
A few days ago I received my recall letter courtesy of Winnebago. Fortunately, I had notified them that I had recently purchased one of their ’06 Itasca Meridian RVs. As ours was in a local RV service shop for some minor work at the time, I asked them to check the Model and s/n of the installed Norcold unit. Sure enough, it had not been previously retrofitted and was subject to the recall as indicated by checking the Norcold Model (1201-LRIM) and s/n against the Norcold letter of 7 October 2010. When I asked how long it would take to receive and install the retrofit kit, I was told Norcold had told them that it would be no less than three weeks from order entry. YIKES! So much for our trip to Santa Barbara. In a subsequent conversation with Customer Service at McMahon’s RV in Irvine, CA (where we purchased our RV last October) I was told that they were well aware of both Norcold recalls. Hmmmm, I wonder why I wasn’t made aware of the recall at the time I purchased it. Considering the risk to life and property in the event of a failure, it seems to me that both the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC ) should be requiring all RV Sales firms to certify in writing as a condition of sale that the RV being sold has been inspected and, if the recall notice is applicable, has been retrofitted in accordance with requirements of the recall notice. This is no different from the disclosures required in selling a home.

Opinions anyone?

For further thoughts on the subject, see my blog.
I am a real estate broker in florida....WE have what is called the Law of disclosure. I am not sure if it just a real estate law...a florida law or maybe hopefully a federal law and should apply to everything.
If someone purchases a home and the seller was aware of a problem and did not disclose it...the buyer can make a legal claim against the seller and win....as long as there is proof the seller was aware of the problem and that the problem can materially effect the value.
If this law is also in your state and does apply to more than just real estate then i would think you have recourse of some sort. Yes...you would need professional legal advice. good luck, Allen ...aka Gadget
IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #129

Monaco Owners Club
I am positive that California has the same law with regards to disclosure of problems with real estate during ownership transfer, however, whether it pertains to RV's too is the big question.

Alaska has the same as my son changed homes this past summer while we were there and I learned a lot about home inspections and closings while visiting them last summertime.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #130

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I am positive that California has the same law with regards to disclosure of problems with real estate during ownership transfer, however, whether it pertains to RV's too is the big question.

Alaska has the same as my son changed homes this past summer while we were there and I learned a lot about home inspections and closings while visiting them last summertime.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
My thinking...or my hope is that this law is not just a real estate law but a law of disclosure....Period. Meaning anyone that sells anyone anything, if the seller is aware of a problem that effects its value then they should be held liable. That in itself is dishonest. Sadly laws have nothing to do with morals or ethics....Law is what is written....People that fight for rights is the way some laws get changed.
In this case the RV dealer knew there was a recall on a product and still sold it....why? it was a recall and should have been taken care of and if not advise you before the sale so that you could make the choice. I would contact a lawyer and see what kind of recourse you might have. Please advise of the outcome if you do.....Thank you and good luck, allen aka gadget
Another reason you deserve some sort of recourse is that once you are made aware of the dangers involved and they you use the RV....and then you have a problem that could be dangerous if not just costly.....you might have a problem with insurance since the insurance company could say that you should not have used the rv since you knew it was not safe.
IamGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #131

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found out last week my retrofit kit was still not on order. Even though my rv repair place had ordered them and had a confirmation. so now we wait again......
good thing we are at homebase and using the big house fridge

i for one was unhappy when i called norcold last week to learn they had no record or an order

then the tap dancing began when i had names and numbers from norcold when i talked to them in Nov.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #132

Winnebago Owners Club
Just how imortant is this recall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Is everyone getting their recalls done?
You do not need a bad situation.

Read LINK's in previous posts. #120 & #122
I have to wonder about this recall. I already know that Norcold is apparently in the wrong business. The last recall letter I received said to shut down the refridgerator immediately. Well, that makes sense, but how come it's important enough to shut down immediately, but not important enough to overnight the recall kit? I've been waiting since Thanksgiving week for my kit.
Oh wait, I think I get it. Norcold thinks they aren't liable for life and property if they tell you to shut it down, but they really don't care if the customer is put on hold for 6 weeks or longer. I personally won't touch another Rv that installs a Norcold product.
Indian Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Nocold cooling coil is the problem even after going to a new MFG for them in 2008.
If they didn't change their design spec's why would they have the same problem.
The recalls are not fixing anything just causing us to install fire extinguishers because most recalls may fail to stop a fire once its started.
My fridge has always worked excellent with out problems I will keep the box and put in the Amish cooling unit which does not need recalls.
Norcold has put their problem in our hands because I think they are in deep trouble.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #134

Newmar Owners Club
Had the fix done at the Tampa RV Super Show in January. Coach was in for other repairs in April at factory when we left factory in early May used gas and 12 volt. Coach has been in storage until
June 8th. Sometime while in storage fix shut Frig down.
At the Newmar rally Norcold tech heard my story, Frig would work on gas-12 volt if I move 12v from fix box back to mother board, went to Coach took one look at fix and said "99% sure it is the Fix Box. Replaced box and tested same and said What happens is the box IS NOT PROPERLY INSTALLED. Most repair places put the box right inside the cover and water, rain and all other forms of dampness shorts out the box.
He also said that most places do not have the meter to check what the rate of heat is in the chamber, should level off at about 475 degrees and if the meter goes up to the 1,000 degree range the unit than needs to be replaced.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by read & learn
Had the fix done at the Tampa RV Super Show in January. Coach was in for other repairs in April at factory when we left factory in early May used gas and 12 volt. Coach has been in storage until
June 8th. Sometime while in storage fix shut Frig down.
At the Newmar rally Norcold tech heard my story, Frig would work on gas-12 volt if I move 12v from fix box back to mother board, went to Coach took one look at fix and said "99% sure it is the Fix Box. Replaced box and tested same and said What happens is the box IS NOT PROPERLY INSTALLED. Most repair places put the box right inside the cover and water, rain and all other forms of dampness shorts out the box.
He also said that most places do not have the meter to check what the rate of heat is in the chamber, should level off at about 475 degrees and if the meter goes up to the 1,000 degree range the unit than needs to be replaced.
Im not sure what he's talking about with "improper installation". Those boxes have spring clamps on the that fit only one pipe, and it is located in most cases in the center of the fridge towards the top of the vent, is that not where yours is? There are known failures of these devices that have nothing to do with weather, which is why they are now on Rev. E.

I think your guys need to call the factory for current info.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #136

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We are in the same situation as you were last year. We had this done in Aug. 2011 and now while packing to leave for 6 weeks, the error code is flashing L1 oP (Heat Sensor) again. Being Thanksgiving weekend my dealer is not open nor are the techs at Norcold, so I can get no info until Monday morning. We were hoping the part could be overnighted to dealer (50 mi away), which is on the way to Florida and we could stop on the way out on Thursday AM. Our reservations at the Fort start Friday so we are in a panic. Would consider having it done in Fla., but isn't it a danger for it to even be turned on now ?
fishngjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #137

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishngjb View Post
We are in the same situation as you were last year. We had this done in Aug. 2011 and now while packing to leave for 6 weeks, the error code is flashing L1 oP (Heat Sensor) again. Being Thanksgiving weekend my dealer is not open nor are the techs at Norcold, so I can get no info until Monday morning. We were hoping the part could be overnighted to dealer (50 mi away), which is on the way to Florida and we could stop on the way out on Thursday AM. Our reservations at the Fort start Friday so we are in a panic. Would consider having it done in Fla., but isn't it a danger for it to even be turned on now ?
I'm not suggesting anything for you to do but I know exactly what I would do...wire around the black box.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:20 AM   #138

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishngjb View Post
We are in the same situation as you were last year. We had this done in Aug. 2011 and now while packing to leave for 6 weeks, the error code is flashing L1 oP (Heat Sensor) again.
I just looked at the service manual for the Norcold 12XX and there is no Fault Code L1 oP (Heat Sensor).

Are you sure of the Fault Code?

You must have a different Norcold model or the Fault Code is incorrect.

I wouldn't do anything until with the Norcold Black Box until you can identify exactly what the Fault Code refers to, Heat Sensor.

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:06 AM   #139
Community Administrator

Here is a manual which has fault codes in section 3 starting on page # 9. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncold1210.pdf

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #140
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I just looked at the service manual for the Norcold 12XX and there is no Fault Code L1 oP (Heat Sensor).

Are you sure of the Fault Code?

You must have a different Norcold model or the Fault Code is incorrect.

I wouldn't do anything until with the Norcold Black Box until you can identify exactly what the Fault Code refers to, Heat Sensor.

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Later Norcolds (1210?) have a fault code (L1 oP) to indicate tripping of the recall box. See the manual in the link provided by clifftall.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote