Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
It's an LRIM, looks 3 years newer
Mine is a 1201 LRIM, built in 2002.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
I have an aluminum catch cup also but it has never been used as they routed the drip tube into another drain tube that goes to the bottom of the coach. Mine is a 2002 Windsor but the Norcold 1200 LRIM was built in spring of 2001.

I am having the recall done in the next week or two at Camping world. They did my previous recall back in January with the useless Thermal Switch which will be severed and left there to look pretty unless they cover it up with the insulation patch that comes in the new recall kit.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Liter Halon-3.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	6620  

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #87

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've seen several fire extinquishers in the photos here-in. Where can I get one??
Old 11-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #88

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I've seen several fire extinquishers in the photos here-in. Where can I get one??
The Official Firefight1 Website It's the SS-30 under "products"
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #89
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
macthefireguy.com. Mac was at our 2009 iRV2.com National Rally & his presentation was awesome.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
macthefireguy.com. Mac was at our 2009 iRV2.com National Rally & his presentation was awesome.

Lori-
I don't think Mac does Halon, but he buys his other equipment from Firefight1 as well.

AFCHAP: My bad.. I meant mine is newer and probably got VE'd from yours :(

Richard: If you don't want to move, try calling Mobile Home Supply out on Sierra, talk to Hilda and see if you can get Jerry to your site. He lives right off Copper Hill and was more than worth the tip knowing it's done per factory spec.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #91

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I don't think Mac does Halon, but he buys his other equipment from Firefight1 as well.
I bought my SS-30 from Mac but he had it shipped from Firefight1.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post

Richard: If you don't want to move, try calling Mobile Home Supply out on Sierra, talk to Hilda and see if you can get Jerry to your site. He lives right off Copper Hill and was more than worth the tip knowing it's done per factory spec.
SCVJeff,

Thanks for the suggestion regarding Mobile Home Supply. However, I already have the part on order from CW and while I have the coach out, I need to have some other engine service and dash A/C service done which CW doesn't do.

I'll be leaving CA in January to cross the country and spend the rest of winter in Florida. We plan to spend the next year and a half on the East coast for awhile, then back to Alaska, and back to the West coast in the fall of 2012.

I got my SS-30 Halon and the SS-200 AFFF Engine fire extinguishing systems from Mac-The Fire Guy and at a cheaper price than what Ralph was able to offer, however they were shipped from Ralph of Fire-Fight in Florida.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
the useless Thermal Switch which will be severed
It may be useless AFTER this new recall, but mine functioned as designed two months after it was installed when my cooling unit failed ...there was obvious hi temp damage to the foil on the stack, but the thermal switch tripped and cut power shutting down the refrigerator. I can only guess that it is not functioning as well as it should in every case since they are doing this new recall to replace it.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Is Norcold sending out any kind of notification to the coach owners of these recalled units? Or as with most of their other CS, are they just leaving it up to the customer?

Wagonmaster2

Norcold are sending letters out pertaining to the recall. You can go on-line to www.norcoldrecall.com to see if your unit is under recall by clicking on the Check Status button. You will need your Refrigator Model #.
Your Refrigator Serial #.. and the Cooling Unit Serial # located outside in the compartment behind your frig.

geffanning{quote}
Old 11-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #95

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
received my letter today
called a guy and got parts on order...hopefully friday it gets fixed
now what am i going to do with all the food in the fridge until then?????
good thing we are at home base this month
Old 11-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
Does anyone know if Norcold will authorize a certified mobile tech to install the high temp limit switch called for in the recall of later S/N units,or will it have to done at an authorized service center?
Norcold has informed customers and technicians as well that when a recalled unit is not able to be brought in to the repair facility, they will allow for a certified tech to travel to the coach to complete the recall. The tech needs to call the Norcold tech line and get pre-approval.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #97

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had my recall done today and was assured it didn't fix anything it is simply a band aid and if/when the band aid gets soiled its a new cooling unit. I'm already measuring and planning for the residential refer. Boy it will be awesome having frozen ice cream.
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #98

The cause of the overheating is a failed cooling unit.

I talked with one of the engineers today and here is what I was told.

The cooling units are not a problem. They are made to last for a certain number of years and then be replaced, just like the a/c compressor in a residential refer or the transmission in your RV. Most of the time they last for more than 7 years, some fail sooner and some later just like any mechanical component.

When a cooling unit fails it leaks the liquid out of the boiler then leaks the hydrogen gas out of the system. Hydrogen gas has a spontaneous ignition temperature of 932 F. Without the liquid in the boiler (the liquid keeps the temp down) the temp will keep getting hotter. The problem has been that the temp keeps increasing until it gets to 932 F and IF enough hydrogen gas is present it will flash.

The new high temp monitor reads the temperature on the cooling unit boiler and when it gets too hot it will shut down the unit before it can start a fire. It is not resettable because Norcold is sure if this thing trips you have a problem. The old temp switch was mounted down by the burner box and was a few inched from the boiler and had some insulation in there also. Although it worked it was found to not be sensitive enough. The thermocouple that is monitored by the high hemp controller is a better way to get an accurate reading on the boiler.

On older 1200 units when the system trips the refer will shut down and the front display will be blank, no lights at all, just like you turned off all the power.

On the newer 1200 and 1210 units when the system trips the refer will shut down but the front display with show a LI oP code.

If this happens you will have to have it checked out by a Norcold tech. The tech will inspect the temp monitor system and the cooling unit and find out if the problem is the cooling unit or the temp monitor. If it is determined the temp monitor is bad it will be replaced and you will be on your way. If the cooling unit is found to be bad it will have to be replaced.