RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #99
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
This entire thread is once again a shining example of the lack of quality that both manufactures of RV fridges have shown to the RVing public. It would not surprise me if Norcold suffers irreparable damage in customer confidence from this fiasco. I personally would never buy anything with their name on it in the future if needed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #100

I have a question on this recall. First, I did have the first thermocoupling installed in my refer -- it fell within that recall and it now falls into this recall. My question is -- I only use my refer on electric and never on LP. Does this high temp situation come into play only with the LP being used or does it come into play with either LP use or electric use ???? I plan on getting it done but, my curiosity is up.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #101

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
I have a question on this recall. First, I did have the first thermocoupling installed in my refer -- it fell within that recall and it now falls into this recall. My question is -- I only use my refer on electric and never on LP. Does this high temp situation come into play only with the LP being used or does it come into play with either LP use or electric use ???? I plan on getting it done but, my curiosity is up.
David,

It doesn't matter whether you are heating with LPG or using the AC heaters to heat the cooling solution. Once the cooling unit reaches 900F the thermocouple sensor will notify the monitor and that device will shut down power to the control board and the frig is now dead in the cabinet.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
David K

The last recall was NOT a thermocouple it was a high temp switch. It is kind of like a fuse OFF or ON. The thermocouple sends a signal to a monitor that has logic built into it that knows what the temp of the actual boiler is so it is on the money temp wise. When the liquid leaks of on the boiler the temp can reach 900 in LP or AC mode. It is in your best interest to get the Oct 2010 recall done asap.
Monc440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #103

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monc440 View Post
David K

...NOT a thermocouple it was a high temp switch. It is kind of like a fuse OFF or ON. (next sentence) The thermocouple sends ...
There are so many statements like the above that some folks are just plain confused.

Bottom line, it makes no difference what you call the wire with a widget on one end and a black box on the other- its a band aid at best and if you rv burns to the ground and you haven't had the recall done then you probably wouldn't have any recourse.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #104

- The trip temp is 700
- Most fires are on elect. That's why the sensor is that far up on the tube; to get it near the element.
- One might consider it a band-aid. I did until it was explained that there is only one way the temp gets this high, and it's twice the operating temp. IMO it's a primary fire extinguisher.
- I'll bet it's a matter of time before Dometics big units come with this system too.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #105

I had the first recall done about 6 months ago. They installed a temp. limit switch. This recall is high temp. sensor install and must be done even though the first recall was completed. The letter I got from Norcold states this. Service center said it is a 1/2 hour job. Wireman
Old 11-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #106

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
Had my recall done today, and it only took about forty minutes. He had the recall info that said," that if unit gets shut off the only repair is to replace unit". If unit is still under warranty it is covered, if out they are not paying. That's my shortened verision. This is my second problem that has to do with poor design on my coach. It is amazing to me how poor customer service is. I think it still holds true you can spend thousands to reach potental customers, and waste thousands with having poor customer service word of mouth especially" bad" travels fast!!
Yep stopped by my RV mechanic shop yesterday and they ordered the new and improved recall materials. He said their phone has been ringing off of the hook and that the recall I had done in May is not the new one.

I asked....what's the cost of a new cooling unit? Oh...about $1500 installed. He also said that they think the cause is due to the extra cooling needed for the double door units. He sees 20-25 year old single doors and indicated that the double doors have larger heating elements, which affect the metal of the cooling unit.

Sure sounds like poor engineering to me too!
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Bottom line, it makes no difference what you call the wire with a widget on one end and a black box on the other-
Are you kidding me? The wire with the widget? Really?

The differance between a thermo switch (old recall) and a thermocouple that feeds into a controller that can tell you the exact temperature of a component (new recall) is as differant as night and day. It is like comparing rabbit ears to a satilite dish.
Monc440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #108
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm wondering how many refrigerator cooling units have failed within the two years of warranty of the three year warranty.
The recalls are now covering even newer year coach's and models.
Haven't seen any mention of problems from MFG's of their replacement cooling coils Amish coils look impressive.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #109

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monc440 View Post
Are you kidding me? The wire with the widget? Really?

The differance between a thermo switch (old recall) and a thermocouple that feeds into a controller that can tell you the exact temperature of a component (new recall) is as differant as night and day. It is like comparing rabbit ears to a satilite dish.
You missed my point completely.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #110
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This TSB PDF shows instructions to dealer or repair man on what to do when placing the recall device on your Norcold fridge. FIRST RECALL
Take note of NOTES.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";740326]This [B][URL="http://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/instance1Env77NEWMAR/html/images/TSB364.pdf
PDF shows instructions[/URL][/B] to dealer or repair man on what to do when placing the recall device on your Norcold fridge.
Take note of NOTES.
Please Note.....this is one of the old recalls, not the newest one.

Don
Old 11-24-2010, 04:21 AM   #112
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
So there is no confusion

Thats what I said but the old one required the fridge to be pulled to replace the complete insulation wrap around CANISTER for that recall.---PDF TSB
If you have the old insulation wrap around it will crumble and fall apart exposing the innards of your pipe stack.
Take a look at the before and after installation of insulation wrap around.
My old 7 year fridge required me to tin tape the insulation to keep it together, people with older refrigerators should have the more solid insulation wrap around CANISTER installed.
If people have the recent recall done" 2nd one" and installer just cuts old crumbled insulation to install recall item they are being short changed.
Take a look at this thread also.

Not looking for argument just want everyone to be aware of situation.