Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Norcold has increased their recall

Norcold has increased their recalls. From the Norcold web site:
Models 1200, 1201, 1210 and 1211
1200, 1201, 1210 and 1211, 4 door refrigerators with cooling unit serial numbers ranging from 700000 to 13085759.
These refrigerators were installed as original equipment in vehicle model years 1997 to 2010. Other recalled refrigerators may have been purchased as replacement during the same period.
If you suspect you own one of these recalled refrigerators:
Immediately, turn the refrigerator off at its inside controls AND unplug it from its 110 volt source through the service vent door.
Disconnect from shore power.
Call 1-800-767-9101 for assistance to verify if your refrigerator is on recall and/or report and get information as to where you can take the vehicle to get your Norcold refrigerator professionally repaired.
These refrigerators will be repaired at no cost to you.
Norcold, Inc. cannot accept responsibility if you do not immediately arrange to take your refrigerator into a Dealer/Service Center for repair. Moreover, you could be personally liable to third parties for property damage or bodily injuries resulting from your failure to have your refrigerator immediately repaired.
ABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #2

Is Norcold sending out any kind of notification to the coach owners of these recalled units? Or as with most of their other CS, are they just leaving it up to the customer?

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #3

Hey thanks for the heads up
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
paz

ABus, thanks for the advance notice. This expansion of the recall adds refrigerators manufactured from 2004 to the present and will include a lot of RVs. I was able to contact Norcold this morning and get the name of an authorized repair shop near where we are staying. Our fridge needs to have the high temperature limiter replaced, and our new part is already on order.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Just in case anyone wants to read the website info, it's on www.norcoldrecall.com

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for posting, however, our Norcold 1210 has been turned off by the repair technician awaiting receipt and installation of the recalled part so that he can then turn it back on to diagnose why it stopped cooling properly!

We replaced our 1200 with the 1210 back in December when the 1200 stopped cooling. Sure wish we had gone with the residential type refrigerator instead of spending the "big bucks" for another piece of junk! :(
Old 10-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
ABus, Thanks for the update. My coach is now part of the extended recall notice. I appreciate the heads up.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
And it appears that refrigerators that have be repaired under recall, are again recalled. ...and if a new cooling unit has been installed with the previous recall kit installed it appears it is again covered in the "new" recall. ...and their website won't even accept my new cu s/n ...thinks it is one digit too long...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Just what is the part about disconnecting from shore power about? If the frig is turned off and unplugged why would you need to disconnect from shore power.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
ABus, thanks for the advance notice. This expansion of the recall adds refrigerators manufactured from 2004 to the present and will include a lot of RVs. I was able to contact Norcold this morning and get the name of an authorized repair shop near where we are staying. Our fridge needs to have the high temperature limiter replaced, and our new part is already on order.
Do all the Norcold 1200 series units require the same repair done to it, or are there several/many different items that have to be taken care of? Some report getting the cooling unit replaced but yours only needs the high temperature limiter? Haven't checked my serial number yet but assume since it's a 2004 it'll probably be in there someplace.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I called today and they told me my 2008 needs a "high temperature sensor". Now the hard part is finding someone near my home that is still in business and will do the recall.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone know if Norcold will authorize a certified mobile tech to install the high temp limit switch called for in the recall of later S/N units,or will it have to done at an authorized service center?
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #13
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Do all the Norcold 1200 series units require the same repair done to it, or are there several/many different items that have to be taken care of? Some report getting the cooling unit replaced but yours only needs the high temperature limiter? Haven't checked my serial number yet but assume since it's a 2004 it'll probably be in there someplace.

Wagonmaster2
The Norcold web site lists all serial numbers for the 1200-series models between 700000 and 13085759 for the latest recall. They say these were produced from 1997 to 2010.

From what I'm reading here and on other forums and from what the dealer told me, the original recall was for units manufactured from 1997 to 2003 or 2004. I think these units needed to have the whole cooling unit replaced. The expanded recall includes the older models and adds newer models from 2004 up to the present. Now ALL models need a new high temperature limiter plus modifications to the insulation surrounding the heater. I'm not 100% sure about that, but it's the impression I'm getting.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #14
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
Does anyone know if Norcold will authorize a certified mobile tech to install the high temp limit switch called for in the recall of later S/N units,or will it have to done at an authorized service center?

The dealer I contacted told me Norcold would pay all costs for the repair of the refrigerator itself, but not for a mobile service call. The dealer can send out a mobile tech to do the repair at our site, but the cost of the service call ($75) would by our expense. There will be no charge if I take our rig to his shop.