RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #1

norcold icemaker

Unit dosent seem to be getting water to maker. what are my steps to check for problem. i assume water pump or city has to be on and icemaker in ready arm position. i know the water pump is ok it is new . thx

elbeau54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ice maker

On the outside there is a valve you have to turn on, if it is already on then check the solinoid just above it, if there is no water in the upper tube then the solinoid could be plugged or bad. There is a brass coupling that has a screen it it that could be plugged.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #3

norcold icemaker

Checked the screen valve and it was clean. Know i have water to valve after bleeding line . waiting to see if ice starts today. If nothing by tomm could it be the valve stuck closed or the icemaker it self. sure of power to unit inside by checking power plug at recpt
Old 06-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
paz

It can take up to 24 hours after you start the refrigerator for the first batch of ice to appear.

On the other hand, the solenoid could be burned out. You should be able to get a universal replacement at an appliance parts store.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #5

Mine quit making ice one day. Turns out the hose broke off at the top of the back of the fridge.

If you are still not getting ice, at least take off the panel on the outside of your rig and get a flash light up there to look for signs of water.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #6

icemaker

follow up. no water to icemaker yet,been plenty of time . i am going to asssume that the solenoid has gone out first because it sunds like the maker is trying to cycle thru. going to order water valve .. right choice???
Old 06-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbeau54 View Post
follow up. no water to icemaker yet,been plenty of time . i am going to asssume that the solenoid has gone out first because it sunds like the maker is trying to cycle thru. going to order water valve .. right choice???
You can test the solenoid with an ohm meter. Disconnect both wires and measure the resistance across the terminals. I don't know exactly what reading you should get, but there should be a resistance reading of some sort. If you get zero (shorted) or infinity (open wire in coil), the solenoid is bad.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #8

We were told that the ice maker in our new to us motorhome isn't working so we were going to look into fixing or replacing it but they said you have to be hooked up to water for it to work and since we boondock 99% of the time, it wouldn't be worth it.

So is that true? Does the ice maker not work off our water tank?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
We were told that the ice maker in our new to us motorhome isn't working so we were going to look into fixing or replacing it but they said you have to be hooked up to water for it to work and since we boondock 99% of the time, it wouldn't be worth it.

So is that true? Does the ice maker not work off our water tank?
Mine works of both city water & coach water. Norcold 1200.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Norcold also works on city water and coach water (with the water pump on).
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #11

Just checked mine. On the outside of the freezer section it says "Elite" then a nice size space "Freezer". Didn't see any name on the ice maker unit inside the freezer.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
You can test the solenoid with an ohm meter. Disconnect both wires and measure the resistance across the terminals. I don't know exactly what reading you should get, but there should be a resistance reading of some sort. If you get zero (shorted) or infinity (open wire in coil), the solenoid is bad.
There was a reading across the solenoid w/wires off around 3.5 as a note i put water in the icemaker and it froze but did not throw out ice
Old 06-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbeau54 View Post
There was a reading across the solenoid w/wires off around 3.5 as a note i put water in the icemaker and it froze but did not throw out ice
It sounds like the solenoid is good. If the ice maker is not running through its cycle, it never sends a signal to the solenoid to open - therefore, no water gets to the ice mold. Check the receptacle where the ice maker is plugged in behind the refrigerator. We had trouble with our ice maker one time, and it turned out the receptacle was getting power, but the contacts were bent out of position and were not making the contact with the male plug for the icemaker. Had to replace the duplex receptacle.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
This winter I had the cooling coil in my Norcold 1200 replaced with an Amish unit. Now the ice maker no longer works. Since the solenoid is reasonably priced, I replaced it. Water gets to the solenoid, can blow air thru the output hose of the solenoid, but still no ice. I imagine the next step is to attempt to pull the fridge so I can access the back side. Any recommendations.

Tags
norcold