Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
pjb

Norcold Issue

Pulled into Rapid City after 5 weeks on the road from California. MH was filthy. Found a car/truck wash, self service, so stopped in and washed the MH, using only the high pressure water spray to rinse, then scrubbed with my mop/brush, and rinsed again. Stopped again in Wall. Came out to leave and noticed the fridge was not on. No power showed on push pad. Checked breaker, all ok. First thought was maybe something got wet through the louvered cover during the wash? I am usually pretty cautious about over watering. Removed cover and do see some moisture, but no flood type wet. I started by unplugging electrical connections and inspecting them and reconnecting. I have the box installed during the Norcold fire recall campaign and when I unplugged and replugged the red 12v wire, the unit would light but 10 seconds later shut off. Did this many times, even with generator on and a/c selected, but no go. There is a red light on box that lights up when fridge shuts off. Removed the box and inspected circuit board. No firm evidence of burning or short. Dried everything with blow drier, but no good. That's the limit of my low voltage experience. Helpful comments, suggestions?
pjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The same thing happened to me once after using a pressure washer. Get a large magnet, place it on the recall box and wait for the "click". That should reset it.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
pjb

Norcold

Read further, found the magnet discussion, and it worked!! Thanks!!
Old 07-29-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The later versions of that "recall box" are notoriously sensitive to getting wet. And when it trips, it removes 12v power to the circuit board and nothing will work, not even 120v AC mode (it still needs to have the control board powered up).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
pjb

Recall Box

I am so glad I went to the Forum for help. I was able to reset the box with the magnet, I am comfortable doing this knowing that I caused the problem. Thanks to those before me who take the time to post these things and to Gary for his reply.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #6
pjb

Recall Box

Oh, and of course, UFO Pilot for his quick reply.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Thanks for the update.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #8

Where do you actually put the magnet? What side of that little box?
Old 07-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #9
pjb

Recall Box

On the red light, the area is magnetized and once it resets the magnet dropped off. It was crazy!
Old 07-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found you can't just "wave" the magnet over the box. You have to hold it still and wait for the "click". At least that was my experience.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #11

Wow
10 replies to a Norcold thread... not one insisting that the OP replace his Norcold with a residential refrigerator.

That has to be some kind of record.

Mel
'96 Safari, 20 year old Norcold 682 fridge...(in a 148k mile coach)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post

Pulled into Rapid City after 5 weeks on the road from California. MH was filthy. Found a car/truck wash, self service, so stopped in and washed the MH, using only the high pressure water spray to rinse, then scrubbed with my mop/brush, and rinsed again. Stopped again in Wall. Came out to leave and noticed the fridge was not on. No power showed on push pad. Checked breaker, all ok. First thought was maybe something got wet through the louvered cover during the wash? I am usually pretty cautious about over watering. Removed cover and do see some moisture, but no flood type wet.

Dried everything with blow drier, but no good. That's the limit of my low voltage experience. Helpful comments, suggestions?
Yup, always go with your FIRST thought!

The infamous useless Norcold's Black Box DID get wet and IT didn't like it so IT decided that it was not going to work any longer unless you take IT to an authorized Norcold dealer.

Or you can try to bypass the box with a jumper wire until you can see a dealer OR you can try the magnet trick which many have done in a similar situation.

Either one is better than losing all of your food or trying to use an ice chest.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post

Wow!

10 replies to a Norcold thread... not one insisting that the OP replace his Norcold with a residential refrigerator.

That has to be some kind of record.
Mel,

OK, I'll bite!

I replaced my recalled NotSoCold 1200 four door fridge with a Samsung residential fridge over 4 years ago and will NEVER go back to any type of RV fridge.

I no longer have to put up with a black box that decides not to work because of a little moisture or doors that fall off due to poorly made hinges, or spoiled food and soft ice cream, or ice cubes that turn into one big block of ice, or having to defrost the freezers every month. The list could go on and on frankly BUT I'd bet that most people get the idea including you.

Of course your 2 door fridge is still going strong over 20 years now because it was designed and built differently than the POC 1200 series fridges are by some engineer that dreamed it up one night when he couldn't fall asleep.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:00 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Mel,

OK, I'll bite!

I replaced my recalled NotSoCold 1200 four door fridge with a Samsung residential fridge over 4 years ago and will NEVER go back to any type of RV fridge.

I no longer have to put up with a black box that decides not to work because of a little moisture or doors that fall off due to poorly made hinges, or spoiled food and soft ice cream, or ice cubes that turn into one big block of ice, or having to defrost the freezers every month. The list could go on and on frankly BUT I'd bet that most people get the idea including you.

Of course your 2 door fridge is still going strong over 20 years now because it was designed and built differently than the POC 1200 series fridges are by some engineer that dreamed it up one night when he couldn't fall asleep.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard, I do get the idea that you are happy with your residential fridge and can understand your frustration with your old No-Cold 1200. Please allow me to remind you that some of us do quite a bit of boondocking and do not want to run our generator 4 hours a day. I had a Norcold 1200 that wouldn't go below 40/30 when I bought my TS. Tried every trick in the book to get it to work better and finally replaced the cooling unit. While it was out I replaced the exhaust fan temp sensor, which wasn't working, and made sure all the fans were running. Long story short I have been operating this unit for 4 years now and am very happy. Just this morning I had to change the temp setting from #7 to #6 because my veggies, milk, and eggs were freezing. Present temps are 39/13! We had some ice cream last night and DW had to put it in the microwave for 15 seconds to soften it up enough to be able to spoon it out of the carton.

Yes, I have had to reset the black box both times I went through a Blue Beacon and used to have to defrost every couple of weeks until I discovered the drain line was crimped shut. We have been on the road for 3 months so far this summer and have not had to defrost yet.

Guess there is no free lunch for any of us but please try to understand that some of us need to be able to run on gas when we are parked in The Teklanika Camp Ground for a week which is located 29 miles inside Denali NP. We all have our priorities and some of us place the capability to boondock for a week or two without 4 hours of generator time every day high on our list.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold