Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #1

Norcold N822 Propane Problem

Fridge lights and will cool nicely on propane and on AC. Problem is when running on propane it will shut off but not re-light and gives a failure code of F. It will run most times for hours before it fails. Attempt to re-light and it lights and runs fine again. Sometimes it runs hour and others for several hours.

Any suggestions? Afraid to leave coach for more than a few hours because fridge will fail and food get warm.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My first thought was what condition your burner was in eg. does it need to be clean to keep from going out. On second read I suspect it is getting a signal from/through 'motherboard' to shut off. This could be the result of reaching set point then the ignitor not relighting and/or not picking up a signal to light. Lastly, I would suspect an overtemp. that resets after it is out for a while. As you did not mention wind I take it that is a non-issue.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #3

Update

No reason to believe problem is wind related. Started fridge today and it has now been on 5 hrs. with it and freezer cold. At some point I know it will shut down and not restart.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #4

You need to catch it in action of failing.
It could be bad flame sensor, ignitor, gas valve, LP pressure, control board, thermistor, etc. Lots of guesses.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #5

Update

Checked at about 6 hrs. run time and it was off with failure code F. I reset and it fired up as normal. But at some point if will shut down and not restart on it's own.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #6

I am having a similar issue on a Norcold unit. Lights fine, good flame color & strength and begins to cool. At some point (don't know how long because it has always happened when we aren't at the rig) flame goes out and does not relight and throws an error code. I changed the sensing igniter but that did not resolve. I am hoping to catch it when it goes out and ohm the solenoid gas valve. My service manual tells me it should read between 79-85 Ohms but isn't clear if that is when functioning or not.

My research is leading me to believe it is either this valve or the control board or both.

It is a very frustrating issue as it usually occurs when we are not at the rv and when we return we have a hot fridge and spoiled product.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #7

That solenoid reading is with no power applied to the solenoid.
Ohm from each solenoid connector to the solenoid housing also. Should have infinite resistance there.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #8

jesilvas thanks, that helps!!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Have you cleaned the burner? You may have corrosion built up there. A thin points file from the old days before electronic ignitions works well. Cleaning up the slots in the burner and blowing out or vacuuming the "crud" cleared up my recent Norcold 822 Code "F" problem.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #10

I have cleaned the burner - externally - was unable to remove it to clean it from the inside. When I observe the flame it appears strong and blue. Thanks.

Tags
norcold, propane