Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Norcold not cooling

Norcold N841--stopped cooling on both Elec & LP. Does not show an error code on the display. The vent is hot on both elec & LP. I ran the tests by pushing the Mode and Temp buttons at the same time. All checked out OK. Called Norcold and tech said it sounded like the thermistor. Got a new one and still no go. No ammonia smell or yellow powder. Cooling fins are chilly but not cold. Seems like it's something in common with the LP & elec. Coach is level.

Can't get an appt til next thursday. We have an extended warranty so we need to use a place that will handle it that way.

Any suggestions on what else I can try?

Thanks,
DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #2

In the last 15 yrs, I've had 4 coaches. The first 2, I never had any problem with the fridges. The last to RV's I had a lot of problems. In the Discovery, I had to replace the control board, and then the whole unit. In my Tiffin Bus, I had three recalls, then ammonia leak, so replace it with an electric unit. Best thing I ever did! Lots of luck.
Ocletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #3

You might try resetting the Power Control Board as described in the service manual (http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncoldnnewnseries.pdf) on page 21 (pdf page 24)

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have followed many similar previous questions posted about Refrig help. It's unfortunate and somewhat annoying to me that whenever a person posts a question about needing assistance with a Norcold or Dometic gas absorption refrigerators, that some folks feel compelled to post a reply about replacing the Refrig with a residential unit, which has nothing to do with what a person is needing help with.

Some of us desire to continue using a typical gas absorption Refrig that does not require adding extra batteries, larger inverter, and ofttimes some extensive interior remodeling to accommodate the residential Refrig, especially if we like to do a lot of boon-docking.

So lets try to assist the person who is posting the question with information that is relavent to what he is asking for.

Just my 2 cents worth
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you have the recall done for the Norcold? There will be a black box on rear of fridge if there is a red led lit on it it needs to be reset, the black box.
This link will show what has to be done with a magnet to reset it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acker1 View Post
Norcold N841--stopped cooling on both Elec & LP. Does not show an error code on the display. The vent is hot on both elec & LP. I ran the tests by pushing the Mode and Temp buttons at the same time. All checked out OK. Called Norcold and tech said it sounded like the thermistor. Got a new one and still no go. No ammonia smell or yellow powder. Cooling fins are chilly but not cold. Seems like it's something in common with the LP & elec. Coach is level.

Can't get an appt til next thursday. We have an extended warranty so we need to use a place that will handle it that way.

Any suggestions on what else I can try?

Thanks,
DICK
Sounds like a block in the cooling unit. It depends on where the cooling unit is hot. The old fashion approach was to hot it with a rubber mallet.
apollocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The reason most tell Norcold owners to replace it with a residential unit is the Norcold is one sorry piece of junk. Once it starts acting up and not cooling, there is no repair. You change the cooling unit or you junk the whole unit.

I do not understand how Norcold stays in business. The last two RVs we have had had Norcold units and we have had lack of cooling on both. The previous RVs all had Dometic units and we never had an issue with them.

When Norcold was having the issue with them catching on fire, rather than fix the problem, they patched the problem by putting on a temperature shut down that shuts down the unit. They could have made a design change to keep the unit from over heating to the point of catching fire.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #8

Quite often the chimney is the problem. Make sure it is completely open and no critters have nested in there somewhere, check the roof cap and make sure the screen is not blocked with leaves or anything. If the board has failed, replace it with a Dinosaur brand board.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies & suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

DICK

PS: There is no recall on this model.
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, norcold