Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Norcold Recall Update

Somebody may have already posted this but there are so many threads discussing Norcold problems that I couldn't find it.

Breaking RV Industry News
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #2

So is this a THIRD recall? Sounds like it's a recall on the recall?????????????
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Not sure Greg but think it is not a new recall but a new effort involving the dealers more.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #4

This looks like it refers to the 2nd recall as the letter is dated October last year.

I have been wondering how owners of coaches of which the manufactures have gone bankrupt lately are being notified. Maybe they are not.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #5

I believe this is the second recall and not a third. This appears to be an announcement that Tiffin is now on board notifying their customers about the October recall. I can't find another one on the Thetford/Norcold site or anywhere else.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #6

I got my recall notices [2] directly from Norcold. I guess it was a good idea to send in all those registration post cards.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The recall was completed on ours end of 2010. Now it failed. We get no power to frig. Apparently the thermo protector tripped. The frig was working fine when shut down after last trip. Wife unloaded the frig and turned it off. A week later we started to prepare for another trip and the frig would not turn on.

If I bypass the little black box installed with recall, the frig works fine. The only thing I did that might contribute to the box failed was I disconnected house batteries to have them tested. The frig was turned off when batteries were disconnected.

I called Norcold and they were no help at all. This ruined our trip plans.

Now I see why the manufactures are putting home refrigerators in new RVs rather than "RV refrigerators".

John Abbott
2004 Winnebago, Journey
RRGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGuy View Post
The recall was completed on ours end of 2010. Now it failed. We get no power to frig. Apparently the thermo protector tripped. The frig was working fine when shut down after last trip. Wife unloaded the frig and turned it off. A week later we started to prepare for another trip and the frig would not turn on.

If I bypass the little black box installed with recall, the frig works fine. The only thing I did that might contribute to the box failed was I disconnected house batteries to have them tested. The frig was turned off when batteries were disconnected.

I called Norcold and they were no help at all. This ruined our trip plans.

Now I see why the manufactures are putting home refrigerators in new RVs rather than "RV refrigerators".

John Abbott
2004 Winnebago, Journey
My understanding of the latest recall fix is that if the "Box" is tripped there is no way to reset it and the cooling coil will need to be replaced. A high temp is used to shut it down.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We took the box out, bypassing the box, and the frig got power and seemed to work. The box should not have tripped as the frig was never turned from the time we arrived home and unpacked until eight days later when we started preparing for our next journey. My wife tried to turn the frig on and got absoulutely nothing. I opened up the back and saw the little red light glowing on the box.

The RV repair service center is calling Norcold to find out what to do. I have not heard back yet. I hope you are wrong as we need a frig.

John Abbott
2004 Winnebago Journey
Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #10

As far as the recall goes, I called Norcold directly and gave them my model and serial numbers on both the cooling unit and refer. I am not involved in the recall, and mine has worked perfectly since new. I feel fortunate.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I hope their right Greg the recall sticky thread above has both recall serial numbers for all on recall. 1200's & 2-door's from 1988 to present
My 03 1200 had the first one done nothing has been said on second because the first was not going to work.
I do not think Norcold knows which end is up if you ask me.
We have had fire with second recall that was done so maybe they are working on their third.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I called Norcold last week and they told me this is NOT a new recall since the one in October. I think the only "real" fix without putting in a RR, is to install an Amish Cooling unit.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #13
rex

Monaco Owners Club
John, Norcold is in their 3rd, and perhaps 4th revision of the second recall. Seems they have had lots of failures of the box in the second recall, but are not admitting it. Nothing new evidently for Norcold.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, Had message on phone that it was a "box" failure. Will find out more tomorrow.

John Abbott
2004 Winnebago Journey