Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #1

Norcold recall, what work is performed?

Does anyone know what is involved in the Norcold recall? How long does it take? I've heard from the Camping World in San Berdoo that they have to remove the fridge, tip it over and it's a day long job. Is this fact, has anyone had it done at a CW or anywhere else?

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #2

Got my "how long" question answered over on RV.net, anywhere between 15 minutes to 2 hours, most seemed to take about 30 minutes. I guess the CW guy didn't know what he was talking about. . . . .imagine that.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
paz

There were several recalls of 4-door Norcold refrigerators. I think they replaced the cooling units on some older units because of leaks. Replacing the cooling unit would have definitely necessitated removing the entire unit from the RV.

There was another recall to install high temperature cutoff switches to shut the fridge down in the event of a leak that might cause a fire. I heard a few refrigerators had to be slid inward a little to get enough clearance, but aside from removing the trim from the inside and sliding the fridge in, the actual recall work was done from outside.

Now, from what I understand, ALL 4-door Norcolds are being recalled, including those already repaired. The new recall is to have a new, faster-acting high temperature cutoff switch installed. I think the only exceptions to the recall of 1200, 1201, 1201 and 1211 series Norcolds are those manufactured in the last few months. These had the new switch installed during manufacture.

The work takes only about 30 minutes, and everyone I read about who had the work done said it was all done from outside, although I suppose there could still be exceptions due to not enough clearance. Our tech came inside at the end only to turn the fridge back on and make sure it was operating properly.

The actual work consists of cutting away some of the insulation near the top of the burner stack, putting in a thermocouple and installing an insulation patch over it. The switch itself is attached to the coils. The switch has 12V power, the thermocouple and leads to the circuit board plugged into it. The unit has an LED that lights to indicate it has tripped. Once the switch trips, it can't be reset and the cooling unit will have to be replaced.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had ours done yesterday. All work was done from the outside. Installed a thermal cutoff switch on the side of the flu. Had to do some rewiring for the new switch. All completed in less than 1 1/2 hrs.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
got my recall today. my dealer says it will take a short while from the back of the fridge.
pawpawboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine gets done on thursday.

Mike
Old 11-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Mine was upgraded this past Monday. It took the guy about 45 minutes, and was his first time with this fix. The work was done totally from the outside, and looked pretty simple. They are provided "picture" instructions which should make it pretty easy for anyone to do.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just had mine done. Took the tech less than 30 minutes. He stated that he has done several over the last couple of weeks and it gets simpler each time. My shop actually has four owner's coming in today just to have the heat sensor installed. They have one tech dedicated to this operation. Everything seems to be in good working order. Good luck to all others.

Bill
bkphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #9

Thanks for all the great responses. I'm getting mine done next week and the tech said he can do it in about 30 Mins, not at CW

Old 11-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #10

Had mine done yesterday at Danny's RV in Denton, TX. (I recommend Danny's, by the way.) The mod was as Paz described. Norcold pays 30 mins labor for the work.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did you all get the new recall done or just the collar with heat thermistor at bottom of heat stack.
The new recall requires fridge to be pulled out of cabinet.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #12

I got the only recall there is on my Norcold 1200LRIM. 30 min job.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";737481]Did you all get the [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/norcold-has-increased-their-recall-78210.html
new recall done[/URL][/B] or just the collar with heat thermistor at bottom of heat stack.
I have a brand new rig with a norcold that falls under the "new" recall. I was told by Norcold that it was a simple fix and the repair shop quoted about 45 minutes for the work. Norcold said nothing about pulling the unit out.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";737481]Did you all get the [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/norcold-has-increased-their-recall-78210.html
new recall done[/URL][/B] or just the collar with heat thermistor at bottom of heat stack.
The latest and greatest Norcold Recall does NOT require the unit to be removed from the cabinet nor does it even need to be slid out a little as in the previous recall where they installed the useless Thermal Switch.

I would have attached a pdf file describing the process that the RV tech will go through to complete the install including photos however it is just over 4mb and we are only allowed a 3mb pdf file, sorry.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote