Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #1

Norcold refrigerator fire - lost everything

Hello all, I am new on here and joined to see if I can gather any info on others that may have experienced the same horrific thing as me and my family. We just experienced a horrific fire caused by our Norcold refrigerator and we have suffered a million dollar loss and lost everything. We never received the recall notice and we bought the RV brand new so we are the original owners. I wish I could figure out how to post a pic on here so I can share my story with others who have a Norcold. GET RID OF IT! our investigator said that he sees an overwhelming amount of RV fires caused by these units and there is NOTHING to help make them safe as norcold says there is. Put a home unit in instead. We lost 9 vehicles, a boat, our RV, a Harley, 3 quarter midget race cars, And my hair salon due to this piece of crap that was in our RV.

Any info would be great from anyone that has experienced this as well. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Check reply #7 in the link below, the thread also offers other helpful information for navigating the forums

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/forum...ics-49134.html
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 03-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #3

Photos due to Norcold refrigerator fire

Here is the destruction!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3FA42998-F29A-4A4C-A6E6-4AAA685A53A9.jpeg
Views:	319
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	239292   Click image for larger version

Name:	4E396D8E-0AB7-4FB9-BC80-6F28AEBDC72D.jpeg
Views:	328
Size:	914.9 KB
ID:	239293  

Click image for larger version

Name:	E3740499-28BF-4059-8358-590FC902F500.jpeg
Views:	334
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	239294   Click image for larger version

Name:	CFF57980-8E0C-4D45-91AE-6684CC587E78.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	239295  

Old 03-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #4

Sounds like the frig was left on in storage. It's odd you didn't receive a Norcold recall notice since you returned the warranty card on a new unit.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 03-24-2019, 01:22 PM   #5

We park the RV inside but it was not in storage as we use this RV all the time when our kids come to visit they stay in it. We were in and out of this on a daily basis. I’m just thankful that it did not happen during one of their stays. Norcold will not talk to me as they have blocked me from their Facebook messenger and will not return my calls when I called to see why I did not get a notice. They know exactly that they are selling these and they are not safe. It’s really sad!
Old 03-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
I’m so sorry to hear about your loss!

Thanks for sharing your story and for encouraging everyone to “GET RID OF IT!”

As a result, we decided to GET RID IT even though it was working. Our new replacement will be arriving tomorrow, so I’ve been preparing the bus by removing the piece of crap Norcold... thanks to you, we saved our American Coach Eagle. They truly are a ticking time-bomb as evidenced by the attached photographs of our close-call situation.

I’m confident that we would have been next in the continuing series of lost dreams due to the Dream Burners called Norcold Re-firestarters. The zip ties and wire tube surrounding the refrigerator wiring had already melted and the insulation showed signs of extreme heat, as well did the aluminum pieces which were also blued from extreme heat. I felt compelled to inform my wife and share these preliminary pictures with you before I went any further in the removal process. I’ll follow up with additional photographs if any more fire damage is found during the Norcold Re-firestarters removal completion process.

Again, I’m so sorry to hear about your loss, and I’m so thankful for your heartfelt encouragement to “GET RID OF IT!”

Sincerely,

James Hoskins of Lockhart, Texas

Owner of 2005 American EAGLE that almost became another Norcold statistic

Just realizes that I can’t attach photographs... I’ll make an attempt after I send this message
Old 03-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Norcold 1200LIRM removal pics of another near-miss fire on a 2005 American EAGLE

Attachment 1Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	239297Attachment 1Attachment 1Attachment 1Attachment 1Attachment 1
Old 03-24-2019, 02:01 PM   #8

Glad you found the evidence of it before you experienced the same tragedy. This has been the most horrific thing as we have lost EVERY. SINGLE. THING. that we have worked so damn hard for all of our life’s. My husband builds classic cars for a hobby and every one of them burnt. The RV exploded like a bomb and if someone was near it would have been even more tragic. Scary to think about sleeping it one again as it burned so fast I can’t imagine trying to escape of what we had to watch while the fire dept was dying to put it out. There is absolutely nothing left, not even the marble countertops! Ours was a 2004 Fleetwood with a 1200 model Norcold unit.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:19 AM   #9

I am so grateful that when our Norcold 1200 died it did not catch on fire. For the way we use our coach, the new residential refrigerator has been a 100% positive upgrade.

So sorry for your heartbreaking loss...
Old 03-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlr1000 View Post
Norcold will not talk to me as they have blocked me from their Facebook messenger

Messaging through "social media" isn't the most effective way to contact a company or a business.

Sounds like you need to get an attorney involved.

How do you know it was the RV fridge that cause the fire?
Old 03-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #11

So glad no one was hurt.

We lost our first Fleetwood Discovery to a fire that according to the first picture I took as I was calling 911, started right where the Dometic refrigerator was located. It took the fire department 13 minutes to get here. By then it was a complete loss.

Yes it sounds like the coach is exploding! First the aerosol cans like hair spray explode, then the propane tank vents due to high heat, then the tires explode sending burning rubber almost 100 feet in our case.

If you are insured, and the contents are insured for replacement value, your fun is just starting! In our case we listed every single thing we could remember that was in the coach. Things like toilet paper, pencils/pens, kids pictures, tools, pillows, sheets, spare keys laptop, pots/pans table wear etc etc etc. to State Farm. They sent us a check for the depreciated value of the contents. Then as we purchased replacements they would send us supplemental checks for the difference between the depreciated value and the actual purchase price. I set up a spreadsheet to track everything. You will be amazed at how much you have invested in contents! Don't forget a thing. Our process took us 2 years total, and even today we will suddenly remember something we forgot to put on the list. I think we had 400 items on the list valued at over $18,000.

Best of luck from this time forward.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Old 03-27-2019, 01:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlr1000 View Post
We park the RV inside but it was not in storage as we use this RV all the time when our kids come to visit they stay in it. We were in and out of this on a daily basis. I’m just thankful that it did not happen during one of their stays. Norcold will not talk to me as they have blocked me from their Facebook messenger and will not return my calls when I called to see why I did not get a notice. They know exactly that they are selling these and they are not safe. It’s really sad!
There was a class action lawsuits against Nocold
Old 03-27-2019, 05:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill111 View Post
Messaging through "social media" isn't the most effective way to contact a company or a business.

Sounds like you need to get an attorney involved.

How do you know it was the RV fridge that cause the fire?
Well when they won’t talk to you on the phone, you stalk them on social media. They have told me that all claim needed to be turned in by 2016. So I posted pics of my RV on their FB page so they deleted them and blocked me.

My son ran out to the garage when alarm company called and flames were coming from refrigerator side compartment. Burned completed down within minutes.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
There was a class action lawsuits against Nocold
Yes, I know that now! But you had to be signed up by 2016. Not any good for when your RV burns down to the ground along with your 60x100 pole barn with everything you own in it in 2019.
Closed Thread

Tags
refrigerator, norcold, fire