Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #1

Norcold Refrigerator Freezing

I have a Norcold Model 8663 refrigerator that consistently freezes. I have replaced the main PC board and eyebrow board with new Dinosaur boards. I have also replaced the 61693822 thermistor (no longer available) with an Articca Snip the Tip thermistor. I checked it this morning and it again shows 20.5 degrees F. What else could it possible be? Any suggestions?
Retroguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #2

The location of the thermistor on the cooling fins will regulate temperature. A google search will reveal which fin to attach to and sliding it up or down to regulate temperature. All the best.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #3

Check the wiring between the board and thermistor. Or find out what the reading is supposed to be on the connection for the thermistor at the board. I know nothing about these boards, but your next troubleshooting is to make sure the board is seeing what it needs from the thermistor.

If it sees it then make sure the part that shuts off the system when satisfied is getting its signal.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #4

I take it that the Snip-The-Tip rheostat is turned all the way DOWN (to left..cool vs coldest setting) and that temp setting on upper panel is also set to COLD (1) vs Coldest (5) ????

If so ,,,,,,
Thermistor is NOT being sensed either because of bad wire connections on 'splices', bad wire connection on eyebrow, bad wire
No sensing...overcooling occurs

Where and how are you measuring temp??
Fin temp should be roughly 10*F COLDER then air temp in the compartment.
Should measure temp using a bulb thermometer in glass of water on a shelf.

Dino Boards
Eyebrow....did you use the D-15712 board?
PC............did you use the D-15711 board?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:56 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I tried that adjustable thermistor and never got it to work right. Went back to the OEM.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #6

Bad Wiring

Thanks to everyone for your responses. However, I figured out the problem yesterday. Knowing I had replaced the PC and eyebrow boards and installed a new thermistor the only possible variable left was the wiring. When I ran my hand up to the hole in the back of the refrigerator where the thermister wire enters I found a loose wire. When I traced the wire from the entry hole at the eyebrow board down the left side of the back of the refrigerator I found it abruptly ended. The thermister wire had been severed. It's been that way for 32 years, probably severed during installation at the assembly plant. We have always had a freezing problem, since it was new. When I took it into Corona RV (twice) they kept telling me that it was the cooler climate we were taking the coach to and that since the appliance is not as well insulated as it would be in a home that we would have to regulate the temperature by opening the door periodically or turning it off and on. One reason that I had replaced the eyebrow board was because the AC/OFF/DC switch was worn out. . . . . wonder why. So much for Winnebago dealerships. All of you who are considering a Winnebago purchase be weary. Their quality control at their assembly plant is obviously mediocre. If the unit had been thoroughly tested after assembly it would have been discovered and repaired. Apparently all they did was just turn it on to make sure it got cold without ever checking whether the thermistor was cycling the refrigerator on and off. It is also sad that when the problem arises subsequent to purchase that the Winnebago dealership just blows you off with some lame explanation about climate. I guess if global warming was occurring I wouldn't have to worry about fixing the wiring on this thing. Because the Norcold thermistor (Part #61693822) is obsolete I had a difficult time finding a replacement, I luckily found a NOS one on Craigslist from a gentleman in New Jersey. Now I just have to fish the wire from the inside of the refrigerator up to the eyebrow without removing the refrigerator. Lesson learned! I won't buy another Winnebago product in the future.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #7

Winnebago is one of the BETTER MFGs.......

None of the RV MFGs 'test' functionality of fridges. Would end up with units stacked up end to end for 12Hrs + waiting on fridges to cool down enough for controls to cycle

NOT happening.

32 yrs you have had this problem........more then ONE entity didn't find/resolve the issue.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #8

I second Winnebago being one of the better ones, in particular on the older ones. I have been in a lot of places inside my 2004 and am impressed with the quality and attention to detail. Sadly that isn't so much the case past 2010 but that applies across the board including the more pricer coaches.

After you are here a while and see some of the head scratchers when it comes to putting stuff together I think you will appreciate yours more.

The impressive thing is yours gets down that cold in the first place. Most don't see that in the freezer let alone the larger fridge part.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #9

Opinion Unchanged

Sorry fellas but I wholeheartedly disagree. I feel a quality RV should be one that is thoroughly inspected, including the complete functionality of all appliances. To leave defects for the customer/dealer to discover is unsatisfactory. If it means it holds up the assembly line then so be it. If a manufacturer is more money driven than customer satisfaction driven then I'd prefer to look for a company with a proclivity toward the latter. I can't imagine a quality automobile manufacturer skipping on quality control, including when it comes to safety. I will be completing this repair and selling the Minnie Winnie.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroguy1 View Post
Sorry fellas but I wholeheartedly disagree. I feel a quality RV should be one that is thoroughly inspected, including the complete functionality of all appliances. To leave defects for the customer/dealer to discover is unsatisfactory. If it means it holds up the assembly line then so be it. If a manufacturer is more money driven than customer satisfaction driven then I'd prefer to look for a company with a proclivity toward the latter. I can't imagine a quality automobile manufacturer skipping on quality control, including when it comes to safety. I will be completing this repair and selling the Minnie Winnie.
What is the dealer for? In the real world the dealer is "supposed" to be there to check out and deliver a serviceable unit to a customer. You are unrealistic in your belief that a unit should spend days at the plant being checked for "any" problem. That is where the dealer comes in. I retired as service manager in 2005. I was called back and worked until 2009 because they could not find a "good" service manager. Everyone thinks these manufacturers are getting rich and rolling in dough. I say look around at how many manufacturers have gone out of business. The RV business is a tough way to make a buck. When times are bad the first thing people do is stop buying RV's. The real problem is finding qualified tech's. Young people today want to work in air conditioned offices, sitting at a computer drinking their bottled water. Not cramped up inside a tight space of a hot or cold RV. As with most problems there are no easy answers.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:39 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you found the problem!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, refrigerator