Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Norcold Refrigerator - Icemaker not working

I just replied to an old thread about Norcold refrigerators, but the reply was not accepted, since the thread was too old.

I have a Norcold N842IM refrigerator (2002 model). The icemaker is not working and I cannot find a service manual to troubleshoot. I have removed the water inlet valve and inspected the valve and the solenoid - cannot find anything out of the ordinary, but I can't tell whether the solenoid in not working or if it is not getting a signal.

Can anyone shed light on this problem or tell me where I can ge a service manual????????? Several sites offer service manuals, but when I visit the site, I can find only installation and owners manuals - no service manual.

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #2

I think you'll find that most if not all, icemakers in RV reefers are the same ones you'll find in residential reefers. Rather than try to fix your 8 year old model, it might be easier and cheaper, to replace it with a new one.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:22 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
In short this is how these ice makers work. The ice sensing arm breaks 120 vac power to the module on the ice maker when it cannot fall all the way down. When the ice maker mold thermostat is closed (about 17 degrees) the circuit is closed and 120 vac power energizes the motor and mold heater (to free ice from mold). As the rake travels around the mold, the ice is removed and at the end of the cycle the water valve is energized for approximately 3 seconds to allow 8 oz. of water to enter the mold. I maker rests until mold thermostat is once again closed by temperature.
06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
paz

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you're comfortable working around electricity you can disconnect the solenoid and plug it directly into 120V to energize it. This will tell you if it is working or not. Disconnect the water hose so you don't overflow the tray in the freezer. If the solenoid is burned out, you can probably get one at an appliance parts store.

In case you can't get the icemaker working, HERE is a link to a recent thread about replacing a Norcold icemaker. Lowe's sells one that will work. The new icemaker will include a new solenoid. Check to make sure the plug on the new icemaker where it plugs into the wall of the freezer matches the old plug.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:53 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
If you decide to go replacement, Check out Lowe's. They have an icemaker there thats probably an exact match for the one in your reefer. The only difference I found when I did mine was a bracket on the new one that was easily removed. $50 and 15 minutes to replace versus.............?

Good Luck,
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:35 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all you folks who responded to my ice maker problem.
Sounds like the best option if the solenoid is working is to repleace the whole unit with one from Lowes.
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
iRV2 is a great program for all RVers.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
On my 2004 Monaco I just replaced my ice maker, old one had rust inside motor end. Works great now, was easy fix. I ordered one on line from RV parts. Lowes also have them. Good luck
Rebel
Old 09-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Looked up my bill for the replacement ice maker, Ohioasc.com Icemakeronline.com 7350-B Industrial Parkway Plain City, OH 43064 It was exact same unit that I had.
Rebel
Old 09-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Both Norcold and Dometic use common U-Line Ice makers which you can find at Lowes or Home Depot. Very common in refrigerator/freezers in the home. On mine I actually found the service manual..... Taped inside the front cover of the unit.

Had I not been looking for information to research for this post I'd have never seen it.