Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #1

Exclamation Norcold refrigerator leaking...

We have a '97 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with a decent sized Norcold refrigerator/freezer. It seems to leak every few days. I checked the tray under the metal fins in the back and it was full (so its not draining). I checked outside for the drainage line and I could not find it...anyone know where the line is outside?? Does it even go outside? Where is my fridge suppose to be draining all this water?
Buckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 04:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckles View Post
We have a '97 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with a decent sized Norcold refrigerator/freezer. It seems to leak every few days. I checked the tray under the metal fins in the back and it was full (so its not draining). I checked outside for the drainage line and I could not find it...anyone know where the line is outside?? Does it even go outside? Where is my fridge suppose to be draining all this water?
Can you snake a thing wire down the drain hole? There should be a hole somewhere for the water to escape from the tray under the fins. You can unclog it perhaps or look outside behind the fridge and see if there's a drain hose attached. Our TT is much newer so may be made differently.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
Community Administrator

My Norcold has a drain line visible at the outside access door. Sometimes they get clogged as there is an end cap with a pin hole for draining. That end cap needs to be " blown out " occasionally. I'll move this thread to our rv systems and appliances forum where you may get better responses.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The drain line should end in a small plastic pan with end of hose in it. The plug as Cliff said needs to be cleaned for water to drain out but that plug needs to be placed back in hose to prevent outside air from being sucked up into your fridge box.

As RanCarr said find hole end of tray may have something blocking drain hole in tray run a thin wire thru tube to remove blockage so water will drain.

The plug wholes back some water in drain hose to stop the air, when water pressure builds up some will be released into plastic pan and will evaporate from the heat in that general area.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The "plug" at the end of the drain line is there to prevent bugs/wasps from building nests - has nothing to do with water or air restriction... To keep warm air from migrating back to the frig, you'll need to add a section to the drain hose and forming a "P" trap before the hose empties into the pan (Norcold) or outside (Dometic). Another discussion in this section "refrigerator secrets unleashed" has more info and the Fords RV Training & Svc site is outstanding
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hal, the plug is there to keep bugs out, but also it does help to reduce the air infiltration back into the frig. A P-trap is another way to block the air flow. Problem with a P-trap is how deep do you make it. Opening and shutting the frig door will either pull or push water from the trap and can completely blow the trap.

The plug has a very small hole that needs to be cleared periodically. The P-traps will also grow algae and require cleaning as well.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #7

The condensate drain pan in our Norcold 1200 LRIM was leaking water into the frig. I removed the pan to discover someone had not replaced it correctly and the hose end was not on the outlet tube of the drain pan. The folded over rubber was blocking drainage as well as leaking. I warmed the end of the tube, replaced the pan, making sure the outlet tube was inside the drain hose. No more water in frig. Watch these videos and you'll see what I described: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/refri...ed-164042.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #8

I have seen some manufactures take the drain hose which is located near the bottom right rear of the refer next to the heat source in a cup like container. out of the container and put it thru the refer vent to drain outside the rv. The collection container over flows, and runs into the interior of the rv. don't know if this will help but it worked on my coach.
bigred
bigred726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
I am so tired of dealing with my Norcold! We had to replace some of floor and tile, 4th try on the recall, one door due to the seals roting along with freezer of meat.
Now I am on leak number two after just replacing the floor!
Dear Santa, please send me a new fridge. I like a challenge, but this is not any fun.
Bowiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #10

I'm with you, since I've had a RV with this in one is been a problem. If I take out and replace with a residential frigerator, I'll keep the Norcold just incase I go to sell (NOT) and someone wants it back in. I've been told Oh no don't do it. But as you read the blogs it's. ..Have you this, Have you that, My Norcold is doing this can you help. I'm so tired of it.
Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret
donwat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Experience

For these and many other reasons I fought with my Dometic fridge, installing fans on inside then on outside and then won't drain and won't cool properly, etc. etc. Not to mention the fire hazards of these types of units. Last month, it finally leaked ammonia all over the place and that was all it took. It was more expensive to fix it than to get a new real fridge (Samsung 197).

The RV fridge was the one thing I had more trouble and maintenance with than anything else on all the motor homes I've owned. If you can afford it, get a real fridge. Even boon docking is possible with the Samsung on MSW inverters. I posted my experiences on this recently and am very happy with the results.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe one of the few avid technical supporters of the Norcold and Dometic RV fridges will chime in on this thread to offer their wisdom and technical services to fix your problems.

According to them there are no problems with these fridges and it's all a bunch of baloney, well warm baloney!

I have a residential so I can't help with the old analog type fridges anymore. I've gone for the newer technology!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred726 View Post
I have seen some manufactures take the drain hose which is located near the bottom right rear of the refer next to the heat source in a cup like container. out of the container and put it thru the refer vent to drain outside the rv. The collection container over flows, and runs into the interior of the rv. don't know if this will help but it worked on my coach.
bigred
Our Norcold with Amish never has any water in the black cup. Yes I did check and it is not plugged up.

The Amish unit I have does not work that well.

Dave
DAJO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
The "plug" at the end of the drain line is there to prevent bugs/wasps from building nests - has nothing to do with water or air restriction... To keep warm air from migrating back to the frig, you'll need to add a section to the drain hose and forming a "P" trap before the hose empties into the pan (Norcold) or outside (Dometic). Another discussion in this section "refrigerator secrets unleashed" has more info and the Fords RV Training & Svc site is outstanding
According to the service manual, Roger/007 is right.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, refrigerator