Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Elkhartjim,

Good point. One that I had not devoted enough thought. I have also run into several RVers that had no knowledge of the Norcold problems and recall.

Thinking some more (admittedly dangerous), think of how many rvs you may be parked near that have had no action reference the recall. This is a danger to all RVers and campgrounds.

I guess it's time to contact the National Association of RV Parks & Campgrounds http://www.arvc.org/ and ask them to get all their members involved in a notification campaign.

Additionally, many states also have organizations of their campground owners that could be contacted also.

I guess many of us here will need to start contacting these organizations to get the ball rolling. While we are at it, we might as well include Dometic as well as Norcold. We should try to get everyone to check for recalls on all refridgerators.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Brigadoon,

Great idea. I sent them a very short message on their contact us page asking them to provide a simple public service annoucment such as a simple sign at the cg registration desk. "Do you know if your refrigerator is safe?"

Maybe others will contact them also.

ARVC - Contact Us
Old 04-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #17
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Interestingly enough Cliff, I am registered with both Fleetwood and Norcold and I've yet to get any notifications concerning recalls.
We just got the notification of the Norcold recall about a week ago. If I recall correctly, the letter came from Norcold, but it had Tiffin information on it. I guess Norcold has to contact the manufacturers, wait for them to go through all the records and figure out who has what coach and what refrigerator, then get the names and addresses back to Norcold so they can send out all the letters. However, if you registered your refrigerator directly with Norcold, you would think you would have gotten a notice right away.

Fortunately, thanks to whomever posted it here on iRV2 early on, we had the recall done less than 2 weeks from the time it was first announced. It took most of that time just to get the part in.

We're glad we had the recall done because about 2 weeks ago, our cooling unit leaked and overheated. The thermal cutout worked as designed and shut the thing down before a fire could start.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Jim, we too are registered with FW & Norcold & have never received any recall notices. If it weren't for the posts here on iRV2, I wouldn't have known to keep on top of the recall with my dealer.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have received two or three notices and a phone call which they wish they had not made to me about their recalls.
I ask which one they were talking about and the confusion started. I had the first one done and they said there was a second and I needed to have it done.
Said thats not going to happen because they now need a third because the second does not work and there have been fires because it does not do what its required to do.
They informed me it must have been a wiring error by the Dealer.
I told them that I'm waiting for the recall for their new redesigned cooling unit. Told them Amish cooling units would pass my inspection.
Silence is golden.
As to getting the word out to people I tell everyone I meet as others have done and every time we make a post on recall subject its on Goggle but people need to be on web to see it.
Maybe we need to make a sign and place it near MH for people to ask what its all about to get word out.
ARVC is a good idea also will do. Its done waiting for their e-mail.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar member had a fire in his 06 MACA Norcold 1200LR just want to add to list so everyone will know.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Since pictures speak louder than words, here is a pic of my Norcold refrig that was recalled and the sensor they installed:

Maybe these will help someone realize that they have a Norcold model that is part of the recall.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
007....I don't think that the Mountain Aire was a DP.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #23
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Here is a link to the Norcold recall.

Norcold Recall
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your right it was a CA MA but a fire is a fire especially ifs a Norcold.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #25

We had a fire with no recall notification. Luckily we saved the rv. We were told by norcold last July that we were not on the recall list. Fire inspector said there was no doubt who and what caused the fire.
shortimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Maybe these will help someone realize that they have a Norcold model that is part of the recall.
Unfortunately, all Norcolds are under recall. The black box is the same looking black box (REV A) that I had installed last November and failed last week. I'm going today to have Rev E installed...do you know which Revision black box you have?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #27

Here is what I have done. Inspected the cooling unit myself looking for any rust or corrosion, repainted the areas that showed peeling paint or small corrosion. Installed a 165 degree fire extinguisher that mac the fire guy sells. I have the recalls done but do not trust them. If the black box fails I have done the research and have the documentation to revert to the first rev of the recall and will keep an eye on it. In the future I will change it out for a Amish cooling unit. Once the new rev fails the black box will cut power to your fridge, so even if it was the black box that failed and not the cooling unit you won't be able to start your fridge back up without rewiring it to original config. Hope this helps.The fridge is one component that can not be neglected. I repainted my cooling unit with POR-15 it is a rust covering paint that works great to stop rust or corrosion. I registered with Norcold back in 09 and have been getting the recall notices.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have to admit to being one that haven't had our Norcold "fixed" yet. One reason is that we have been away from our MH for a while and another is that once we do get to use our MH we are on the move every 3 days.

Is this "fix" now so common that we potentially could drive in to a RV repair shop and they would have the spare part and do the recall modification as a "drive in" repair? How many spare parts does it take? It looks like it is a fairly simple "operation".

I know that we have to get it done but it's not easy/convenient for us at all if we have to make an appointment weeks in advance and we have no RV repair shop that we can call local.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote