Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #1

Norcold Temp Rising

My Norcold frig temp fluctuates greatly. At night it goes down to 32 or 33. As the day goes on and outside temps rise to high 80s it will rise up to 43 to 45 degrees. The voltage is 120. I have installed a vent fan. Any suggestions? Had 2 Dometics and never had this problem.
rmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rmwright,
It's that time of year. Got some questions for you:
1. Is the refer "full"? Is there room for air to circulate?
2. Is the refer side of the coach exposed to the afternoon sun?
3. Is the vent fan you refer to external to the refer or internal?
4. If #3 is external, can you place a fan inside the refer?
5. Do you have a colder setting the refer can be set at?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi rmwright,
It's that time of year. Got some questions for you:
1. Is the refer "full"? Is there room for air to circulate?
2. Is the refer side of the coach exposed to the afternoon sun?
3. Is the vent fan you refer to external to the refer or internal?
4. If #3 is external, can you place a fan inside the refer?
5. Do you have a colder setting the refer can be set at?
I would ask question #6 -- is the temp going up without opening the door? Ours would not recover after opening, however we had temps go above 50. Lucky for us aftermarket warranty covered a new cooling unit. Their are some informative video's on youtube. It sounds like the lower temps at night are right on, ours wouldn't get under 40 at night.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #4

For the most part, you should always keep your fridge set for the lowest temperature possible. While the fridge thermometer might read 32, the temp of the contents is probably more like 40 - 45!!

I always carry an IR scanning thermometer in the rig. From that, I discovered that while the fridge wall make be 32 degrees, the contents such as milk etc were running 40 - 45 degrees!!n Since then, I've been cranking the thermostat down as low as it will go without experiencing any adverse events, such as frozen veggies, etc. It's amazing how long it takes to get stuff down to the low 30s. i.e. days!! So . . to maintain the temperature of the fridge, it is sometimes a good idea to store a new load of groceries in the freezer for a while, and monitor the temps with the IR scanner before transferring stuff to the fridge.

While it takes a bit of jockeying stuff around, what else do we have to do while on the road?! We have no problems whatsover maintaining proper temps in the fridge. We don't use fans, but early on, we filled the empty air spaces around the fridge with fibreglass insulation.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
All great questions on things to check on. A couple other things...

You don't tell us what RV you have or which refer you have so it might be helpful if we know.

Our 06 Winnebago, Adventurer 38J had very similar problems even after installing an Amish Cooling Unit. I firmly believe this was a problem with the location and space round the refer. I think it had too much dead airspace so it was very hard to direct airflow through the cooling unit coils. Look to see if you there is a lot of space in and around the refer. Obviously you can't pack insulation over the cooling unit itself but areas along the sides and above should have minimal space and if too much should be looked at. If your refer is located in a slide out it makes it a bit tougher but the principle is the same. In that case the over head baffles that vent hot air from the coils out the side can be mis-adjusted.

Make sure fans are also clean and working. However, if you don't have the enclosure properly set up, no amount of fans will help. This is the link to the 1200 series by Thetford. 1200 Series

This is the link to all product manuals. Product Manuals
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #6

More information

My coach is a 2006 Minnie Winnie. The refer is your typical Norcold single door with freezer and ice maker. It is set on the coldest setting. The vent fan is under the cover on the roof to move air in and up. The refer is not full and has plenty of space. I have a fan on the bottom shelf. It is in the sun and I am in SW FL so it's hot, but the awning is out to shade the side.
rmwright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold