Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If the thing quits while on the road, just unplug the one wire they removed from the back of the refer and plugged into their box (it's obvious) and plug it back into the back of your refer. This whole thing has been a disaster.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
If the thing quits while on the road, just unplug the one wire they removed from the back of the refer and plugged into their box (it's obvious) and plug it back into the back of your refer. This whole thing has been a disaster.
I wish that I had done that, when the frige quit, while I was camping. However, I was told that "if the red light on the thermocouple comes on", the refrigerator go off and "you're done". So, I came home.

Even though it has been repaired and is working, my DW is so afraid of a fire, she speaks of nothing, but replacing it with a residential fridge anyway.

Think about it. She is not in the best of shape and if we have a fire, our exit is blocked by the burning fridge. So, we have to use the emergency escape window in the bedroom. That means a 6' drop, from the window to the ground. If I am there, I can help her (and out two dogs) get out of the coach. But she says "what if you aren't there?" I try to ease her fears, by telling her that I have installed an automatic fire extinguisher in the rear space of the fridge. In addition, I can turn the fridge off every night and back on in the morning. At least, we should be awake if it catches on fire.

So, you see, she has a very good reason, to be scared. Like you said, Don, this whole thing is a disaster!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
I wish that I had done that, when the frige quit, while I was camping. However, I was told that "if the red light on the thermocouple comes on", the refrigerator go off and "you're done". So, I came home.

Even though it has been repaired and is working, my DW is so afraid of a fire, she speaks of nothing, but replacing it with a residential fridge anyway.

Think about it. She is not in the best of shape and if we have a fire, our exit is blocked by the burning fridge. So, we have to use the emergency escape window in the bedroom. That means a 6' drop, from the window to the ground. If I am there, I can help her (and out two dogs) get out of the coach. But she says "what if you aren't there?" I try to ease her fears, by telling her that I have installed an automatic fire extinguisher in the rear space of the fridge. In addition, I can turn the fridge off every night and back on in the morning. At least, we should be awake if it catches on fire.

So, you see, she has a very good reason, to be scared. Like you said, Don, this whole thing is a disaster!
I've been thinking a lot about the fire escape procedure as well and just started a new thread with a useful tip that I learned at a seminar from Mac the fire guy. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/fire-...tml#post836674

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
We returned from about a four month trip three weeks ago. This morning I went out to start the refrigerator for an upcoming trip and no power to the Norcold 1200. I'd had the warranty repair before we left and the refrigerator worked fine. We shut it off after foods had been removed. Now the red light is on but no power out on the line to the refrigerator. I tried cleaning the contacts, etc. but no go so I bypassed the black box and put the 12 volt wire back to the refrigerator (like it used to be before the warranty repair). I'll take it to the shop that did the replacement tomorrow and I guess they'll have to order another black box from Norcold. This one did have the yellow tag mentioned above. Another part of the fun of RV'ing!
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #19

I have an Norcold N811. This piece of crap rates lower than an Edsel or a renault dauphine. It quits working all the time. Been through boards, thermisters, on and off, resets, heaters.

The bottom line here is we have to spread the word. That is why I am posting. People if you are buying a new RV demand they swap out the refer. I will buy a new fiver in a couple of years and I can assure you it won't have a Norcold and probably not even a Thetford product if I can avoid. The amount of complaints on the internet about Norcold should be a disgrace for this company but apparently not. Spread the word and lets get some good products in our RVs.

Grand Junction 35TMS
fulltimer
roamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #20
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamy View Post
I have an Norcold N811. This piece of crap rates lower than an Edsel or a renault dauphine. It quits working all the time. Been through boards, thermisters, on and off, resets, heaters.

The bottom line here is we have to spread the word. That is why I am posting. People if you are buying a new RV demand they swap out the refer. I will buy a new fiver in a couple of years and I can assure you it won't have a Norcold and probably not even a Thetford product if I can avoid. The amount of complaints on the internet about Norcold should be a disgrace for this company but apparently not. Spread the word and lets get some good products in our RVs.

Grand Junction 35TMS
fulltimer
That's the reason more and more motorhomes are offering residential refrigerators as an option. They come with a larger inverter and a couple of extra batteries to run the fridge while on the road or when boondocking. I don't know about fivers, but if they don't already offer residential refrigerators in some of them, I suspect they will soon.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #21

Here is the "fix" for the steady red light on the sensor board. First, you should ensure that there are no leaks by using leak test paper. If you determine there are no leaks, go to Lowes and buy yourself a $2.50 small magnet. Take the black cover off of the sensor board and hold the magnet above the red light close or touching the board at the top. Hold it there for 10-15 seconds. Bingo. Light goes out, refrigerator works.
Tmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn-Tx View Post
This fridge is brand new and never been used. It replaced the last one which caught fire (not covered by Norcold) and before it was used, got its recall. They did the recall and when I got it back wouldn’t light because the thermal switch shut the 12 volts off to the igniter. So…nothing wrong with the cooling unit.

Norcold has a fridge design that doesn’t work and a recall fix with the same problem. BTW…the replacement Norcold was 5-grand and it won’t even cool. Suggestion...don't buy American made crap!
Norcold moved manufacturing to China several years ago. Their problems started soon afterwards.

Why would you spend 5K on a replacement?
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmooney View Post
Here is the "fix" for the steady red light on the sensor board. First, you should ensure that there are no leaks by using leak test paper. If you determine there are no leaks, go to Lowes and buy yourself a $2.50 small magnet. Take the black cover off of the sensor board and hold the magnet above the red light close or touching the board at the top. Hold it there for 10-15 seconds. Bingo. Light goes out, refrigerator works.
I got the error code on the fridge while on a recent trip, and did exactly what Tmooney suggested. It worked. Now I keep a magnet on the 5'er. I find that I get this message after being on the road. So I suspect that traveling out of level might cause the unit to shut down. I have no problem while parked.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
More information on disaster.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
I got the error code on the fridge while on a recent trip, and did exactly what Tmooney suggested. It worked. Now I keep a magnet on the 5'er. I find that I get this message after being on the road. So I suspect that traveling out of level might cause the unit to shut down. I have no problem while parked.
I also tried the magnet. It did turn the red light off, but it created a spark, where the wire was attached to the burner stack! Still, nothing worked on the refer. The mechanic that checked it out, received an electrical shock, when he touched the stack. He said the unit was shorted out and had energized the metal burner stack. I now have an RR.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #26

Norcold (Recall) Temp Sensor reset

I had a problem on a trip this summer when the Temp Sensor module ( recall part # 634677 rev E ) failed. I was able to get a temp fix and the rest of the trip went without and frig issues. For four months I have been searching for a replacemnt and ran into a wall that always lead to repair center to repalce a part that has three plug and operate installation. I did eventually get fix to reset the "old" Temp Sensor.
There are a few visually different sensors whether revision A, B C etc and another part # of 634737. They are all the same in operation. This reset is for a constant red light on the box which signals that it is not letting power go to the frig.
The way to reset the little black box / solid state board is the set it up in the original configuration, as installed by the recall protocol, and with the coach (DC power/ baterries) in the "use" or on position, pass a magnet over the solid state parts on the solid state board. I used a parts or bolt retrieval magnet from my tool box. You may have to take the cover off of the little black box to get close enough to effect the reset. You will hear an audible "click" that is the reset, and the red light should go out.
lemofla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I have the 4 door Norcold refrigerator in my 2001 Monaco Diplomat. I bought the MH in May of this year. My fridge and ice maker work great. I'm on a 4 month trip with a month to go.
My recall apparently was never done on this 11 year old fridge. I am scheduled to have it done in 2 weeks when the parts come in.
After reading this thread, I'm having second thoughts. I understand its a over heating issue, and a thermistor is put in. Now I see people are having problems with that.
I'm thinking it should put a temperature sensor in the area to warn me of any overheating. I'd hate to start having problems on a perfectly good working unit.
Any suggestions??
Thanks
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #28
Community Administrator

It's true that there have been some problems with the recall, however there have been numerous fires caused by these Norcolds. I have had the recall done. Would not sleep well if not.
I hope you decide to get it done.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote