Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #1

Norcold two door refrigerator problem

Just wondered if anyone has a problem with there Norcold refrigerator not cooling while travelling. Works fine when parked, even tried running gen set on route but still gets warm on long drive loosing food as a result. Service centers have not found a problem it just fails when on a long drive any suggestions.
Thanks for any input on this issue.
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #2

Is it in a slide out? Ie: is it vented to the roof or out the side of the RV? Does it have fans and do they work?
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

Norcold Problem

Thanks for your reply, no its not in a slide and keep in mind that several service centers have checked it out and say all is working fine which it does until we take along trip. We even tried running the gen set as we thought maybe the gas was the only problem I have my suspicions that the moving vibration is causing a component to breakdown or loose connection some where and shutting the refrigerator off. With this being difficult for a service center to prove with out them taking it on a long trip, we all know intermittent problems can be a pain to find.
Again any advise or suggestions really appreciated.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My first thought would be that while traveling a suction is being created at the bottom vent, preventing enough air flow through the condenser fins at the top. You might try fans in the top vent. Look at my post #25 in the thread below.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/fridg...-218996-2.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #5

Did you check to see if there are fans? Are there baffles to control the airflow, sometimes they fall out, sometimes the manufacturer forgets to install them. Refer to the installation manual and see if the installation was compliant.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:16 AM   #6

Are the fans working?
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
We had the same situation with the Norcold in our Itasca. It would cool great when sitting still, but on the road the temperature would rise. I suspected the same thing that Joe mentioned, the air flow down the side of the coach was creating a vacuum or not allowing air to be drawn through the cavity. Proper cooling on these units relies on air flow across the condenser fins at the top of the unit on the back. I was going to experiment with some "air scoops" on the intake grill on the side in an attempt to force air through the cavity, but we traded the unit before I could complete the process.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #8

Norcold Problem

Hi Guys
Thanks so much for all your help I particularly want to say thanks to Dan as he appears to be the only one that has had the same exact problem although couldn't confirm fix. But will pursue installing fans to see if that is a fix and will let you know if fans solve the problem any other Idea's always interested.
Thanks again for all your help its great that we are willing to contribute our knowledge and help where we can.
Kindest Regards to all.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:14 AM   #9

we have a 2005 Pheaton that had the same problem. the previous owner had the Amish unit installed on the refrigerator but the installer had not properly insulated the unit. we took it to Indiana and had the manufacturer remove the unit and insulate it per instructions and have not had the problem since. hope this helps.
Pataul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, norcold, refrigerator